Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MattNord

santa barbara, US
29 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MattNord Registered since 04th Mar 2012
Fri 09-Mar-12 01:11 AM

Hi again,

I'm contemplating which speed CF cards to buy for my D800 (get here already!). What would you all say, is the 600x of UDMA 6 enough to sustain the 4 shots/sec in lossless compressed, or will I need the UDMA 7's 1000x? There is quite the price difference...

Granted, I don't see myself shooting a ton of max speed series, but it would be frustrating to have the camera stop early the times I do because I was cheap.

Best,
Mattias

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#1. "RE: D800 CF speed" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Fri 09-Mar-12 12:53 AM

This was on NikonRumors:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11674-12366

Testing with the D4 and new XQD cards but has the 1000x card speeds also compared to UDMA6 cards. Seems to be about 5-10mb/s from 600x to 1000x in a D4.... so I would say UDMA6 should be good for most anything with the D800...

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#2. "RE: D800 CF speed" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 09-Mar-12 09:37 AM

If you are buying a large card, the speed differences for downloads could be meaningful. The camera has limitations since it has to process and write the image. Write speeds are often slower than download speeds. A fast card full of large files of images or video could be much better if you want fast downloads.

UDMA 6 is probably a pretty good answer - just get a large card. I think 32 GB is a starting point.

There are a lot of options on the second card. You could use an 8 GB Eye-Fi card for medium or small JPEGs, or a 16 GB card for video and large JPEG or overflow NEFs. I don't see a major need for the two cards to have the same features. But the larger file size means you'll need three times the storage of your current cards.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nikonus

Southern California, US
503 posts

#3. "RE: D800 CF speed" | In response to Reply # 0

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007
Fri 09-Mar-12 10:34 AM

I think even a slow card will work in the camera . The buffer will store data and load the card at what ever rate it can write . Sure there could be a delay when the buffer is full as it writes . I'm sure the spec is something I will never hit ( 4 fps for 10 seconds ) .

For my mind set, it's a medium format camera in a 35 mm housing . So a lot of tripod shots and live view , not much rapid fire street photography .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

G