Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase

Watcher57

US
19 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Watcher57 Registered since 17th Mar 2012
Mon 26-Mar-12 03:22 PM

Just curious.
If I preordered the D800 (I did) and on the acknowledgment I got back it shows the order and the price and the charge that will go on my card when the camera comes in -- is this a contract? Offer and acceptance with no qualifications?
If so, if I don't cancel the preorder and the price is increased on the camera -- shouldn't I get for the preorder price?

Again, just wondering.

rps1244

Orrtanna, US
146 posts

#1. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 0

rps1244 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2002
Mon 26-Mar-12 01:34 PM | edited Mon 26-Mar-12 01:36 PM by rps1244

This just in...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/26/nikon-uk-d4-d800-price-rise

While this increase is reported as being localized we will have to wait for for Nikon/USA dealers to comment before we know for certain.

Best regards,

Bob

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#2. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 1

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:25 PM

I'm not sure how localised this is.

"In the UK a photographic magazine web site stated on the 26th March - The D4 will cost £5289.99, rather than £4,799.99.And the Nikon D800E will now carry a £2,899.99 pricetag – not £2,689.99 as was originally stated".

"Nikon has confirmed that photographers who 'pre-ordered' one of the cameras before 24 March need only pay the original price".

The full article can be read here: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_D800_and_D4_price_change_not_marketled_update_news_311965.html

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#3. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Wed 28-Mar-12 12:56 PM

The answer to your question is "Yes."

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#4. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 3

mdonovan Gold Member Charter Member
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:23 PM

I think the bigger question is weather you are willing to go to court over this =).

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5703 posts

#5. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 4

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 28-Mar-12 03:56 PM

>> is this a contract? Offer and acceptance with no qualifications?

>I think the bigger question is weather you are willing to go
>to court over this =).

Let's hope everyone is thinking of that only in jest, but I suppose that's why online sites have pages and pages of terms and conditions you agree to when you use them (so forget that "no qualifications" part).

Tell you what -- let's figure out what your class action (might was well make it a good law suit) would cost in legal fees, and I'll take half of that up front to give you my D800.

Cash. Large bills though, as it would otherwise be too heavy to carry.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Watcher57

US
19 posts

#6. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 0

Watcher57 Registered since 16th Mar 2012
Wed 28-Mar-12 04:44 PM

Wasn't thinking that far in advance . Lawsuits wouldn't be my thing.
Just was curious if the preorder was an agreement that meant I would get the D800 at what I thought I would pay. Looks like I'll be waiting awhile and anything can happen.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

#7. "RE: Quick question regarding pre-orders and possible price increase" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Wed 28-Mar-12 05:05 PM

Roberts Camera shows the price on preorders as "Anticipated Price". That would seem to leave them an out if the price changes. I don't know if other vendors took that precaution.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

G