Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?

brosen

Plymout, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
brosen Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2009
Sun 09-Sep-12 10:06 PM

Please your comments, thanks

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Bernard

D800E
28-300, 24-120, 105 Micro, 85G, 50G, 28G
SB-910

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#1. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 11-Sep-12 01:27 PM | edited Tue 11-Sep-12 01:28 PM by klrbee25

I'd guess oil by the concentric rings I'm seeing but who knows. It honestly doesn't matter which it is. If it doesn't blow away with a rocket blower, then you'll get rid of it with a wet cleaning. Check out the Copperhills cleaning kits...it'll quickly become your favorite photography accessory since it's so empowering.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

john daniel

CA
7 posts

#2. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 0

john daniel Registered since 19th Jun 2012
Tue 11-Sep-12 02:34 PM

Looks like oil and I did have the problem twice so far on my sensor. I had to do 2 major cleaning since I have to camera, with visible dust wet cleaning products.

Disappointing: first, mine had the focus problem and then this...

JD

Jean-Daniel (JD) Gagne

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#3. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 2

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Tue 11-Sep-12 11:43 PM

John, I've had four Nikon digitals: a D100, D2x, D3, and now a D800. All of them had the oil spitting problem when they were brand new. From what I read, the problem's not confined to Nikon. I read about people complaining about oil spatters on the Leica M8 and M9. It's just part of the breaking-in process.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

pyrpal

Portland, US
42 posts

#4. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 0

pyrpal Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2006
Wed 12-Sep-12 04:34 AM

Hi,

I agree with Russ and had the same problem with several of my Nikon's and in particular with my D700. After a couple of clicks I took an image and the sensor was clean - after 50 clicks the sensor had about 10 of these oil spots on it. I had it cleaned however and after several thousand clicks it was still spotless.

Tom
Puget Sound Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#5. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 12-Sep-12 01:26 PM

I probably shouldn't tell this story, but this is what led to the first wet cleaning on my brand new D800: After about 100 clicks I made a sky shot and saw some sensor contamination. I'm so used to cleaning occasonaly dust on my D3 that I got out the blower and used that, then found that the spots were still there. I got out the Arctic Butterfly and carefully brushed the sensor, just barely touching it with the ends of the bristles. Guess what. . . Right! Smears. I've been through this enough times that I should have learned. But those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

#6. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 5

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Thu 13-Sep-12 03:17 AM | edited Thu 13-Sep-12 04:28 AM by lukaswerth

Coincidence! Just yesterday evening I noted something very similar in a picture I was developing. I think my -also new - camera's sensor needs a cleaning, too.
Could someone please give some hands-on advices of how to do this? Nikon says don't touch the sensor, send it in - but i live in a place where I am very much reluctant to give such a sophisticated new product in the hands of any repair center.
How to remove this? A "copperhill kit" was mentioned; but I have problems here with getting international orders. So if someone could tell me a proper way using the right instruments and chemicals so not to damage the low pass filter, it would be a big help.

Lukas

Editing this post a few minutes later: I just read the copper hill website; it is really very informative - I would order their kit any time - I will in fact, next time I will be out of Pakistan - but I should be able to get methanol even here, and also some lint-free special tissue, having contact to chemical traders here.

Are there some caveats you can think of? And, how broad exactly is their swiper - 24 mm, or a little bit smaller to accommodate the cleaning tissue?

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#7. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 13-Sep-12 02:07 PM

Lukas, Check http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html. Copper Hill was one of the very first, maybe the very first outfit to come to grips with sensor cleaning, and I used their stuff for years. But wrapping Pec Pads on a swipe can be a risky business, especially if you're in a dusty areas. Sensor Swabs, made by Photographic Solutions are more expensive, but they're guaranteed not to damage your sensor.

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

#8. "RE: D800E: Oil spot or dust on the sensor ?" | In response to Reply # 7

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Fri 14-Sep-12 01:27 AM

Russ,

thank you very much for this link, this is really very helpful, possibly not only for me, but for many others.
I think that for better or worse, I will have to do the cleaning myself, which should be possible with careful preparation and a calm mindset. I am thinking of cutting a swipe wand myself from some stable, but not too stable, that is still bendable carton, and to find some first quality cleaning tissue to put over it. If you or someone else has any suggestions here regarding material or method, they would be very welcome.
On another thought, provided that what I seem to see - still have to check systematically - is a spot of oil on the low pass filter, could it be that the camera's tendency to sprinkle oil in the sensor chamber gets enhanced in higher temperatures? I noticed nothing like this when trying my camera out in Germany in not too hot summer weather, but here, after having been out on two still quite warm days in a Punjabi village (temperature was easily up to 40°C/104°F) I noticed the spot.

Lukas
Trying to be a keeper of the light

G