Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E Dynamic Range is Amazing !

brosen

Plymout, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
brosen Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2009
Sun 02-Sep-12 11:26 PM | edited Sun 02-Sep-12 11:27 PM by brosen

Yesterday I took some JPEG photos outdoor, it was very sunny, so some of them had some very dark shadows, even though they were JPEG I we able to remove the shadows in Lightroom 4.1 and the results was AMAZING !!, in some case I had to apply 100% but the image degradation was minimal; and the amount of detail I was able to recover was much more that what I expected for a JPEG file. I think this is because of the very good DR and the 36MP of the D800E.

Bernard

D800E
28-300, 24-120, 105 Micro, 85G, 50G, 28G
SB-910

moizes

Brooklyn, US
1322 posts

#1. "RE: D800E Dynamic Range is Amazing !" | In response to Reply # 0

moizes Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006
Mon 03-Sep-12 08:32 AM

I am second to this. Since high DR is the same for D800 and D800E, in my expeience, let me post couple samples to support your statement. As everyone can see, there is no any highlights clipping or washing out on high conrast image, as well as great shadow details at the time of sunset. THX. Dimitri (Images for testing DR only, BTW.)

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

moizes

Brooklyn, US
1322 posts

#2. "RE: D800E Dynamic Range is Amazing !" | In response to Reply # 1

moizes Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006
Mon 03-Sep-12 03:37 PM | edited Mon 03-Sep-12 04:07 PM by moizes

Crop from the image above - 10 min with LR, and you may uncover much more details from the area of 40 times underexposed! Dimitri.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

G