Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Tue 18-Dec-12 01:00 PM

After receiving one of the "bad" 800Es I have ordered another. Now I need to buy a fast compactflash card for it. I bought the camera from B&H with the package that includes a Sandisk 32 GB 400x card. I understand that for burst shooting with the D800/E one needs a fast card so I am considering the Lexar 32GB 1000x and 800x cards. The 1000x is about 160% the price of the 800x. My question is whether the 1000x actually writes or performs any faster/better than the 800x. So far I have not found any review comparing them. Rob Galbraith's article does not include the 800x. Can anyone offer any advice as to whether the additional cost of the 1000x is justified in real world experience/performance? I will appreciate any advice you are able to offer.

JDT

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#1. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Tue 18-Dec-12 02:45 PM

I'll be interested to see what kind of responses you get Jim, but I noted on the B&H page that the 1000X offers "Min Read Speed: 150MB/s
Write Speed: 145MB/s" and the 800X offers "Max. Read Speed: 120MB/s
Max. Write Speed: 45MB/s". These specs are written VERY differently, and I am wholly suspicious of exactly what they mean! "Min" versus "Max" and one that doesn't say which it is... And all related to a "1000X" versus a "800X" (which would imply to me that one is ~20% faster than the other).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#2. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 1

Tue 18-Dec-12 04:06 PM

Hi Tom,

Some time ago I looked at an article on performance of cards by Rob Galbraith. Unfortunately it does not include the 800x Lexar card. I assume that the article was written before the 800x card was available. As I recall the actual performance of the cards was not necessarily in line with the specifications stated by the manufacturer. Therefore, as you suggest, I am not at all confident that one can rely on the manufacturer's specs. That is why I am hoping that some fellow Nikonians who have used these cards can provide some real life information that will provide a basis for deciding if the 1000x cards are worth the extra dough.

JDT

infamily

Petaluma, US
223 posts

#3. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

infamily Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Sep 2009
Tue 18-Dec-12 04:21 PM

>After receiving one of the "bad" 800Es I have
>ordered another. Now I need to buy a fast compactflash card
>for it. I bought the camera from B&H with the package that
>includes a Sandisk 32 GB 400x card. I understand that for
>burst shooting with the D800/E one needs a fast card so I am
>considering the Lexar 32GB 1000x and 800x cards. The 1000x is
>about 160% the price of the 800x. My question is whether the
>1000x actually writes or performs any faster/better than the
>800x. So far I have not found any review comparing them. Rob
>Galbraith's article does not include the 800x. Can anyone
>offer any advice as to whether the additional cost of the
>1000x is justified in real world experience/performance? I
>will appreciate any advice you are able to offer.
>
>JDT
I don,t have experience with 800 x but I use 16 gb lexar 600 x cards and have not had any issues in terms of write or read speed. Card performs well in continous burst and is fast enough for video
Unless you are mainly using continous burst, you will not see any difference. Just my opinion

Sandeep B
So much to learn, so little time.

visit
my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fjcranston

US
10 posts

#4. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

fjcranston Registered since 25th Jan 2011
Tue 18-Dec-12 04:34 PM

I went through the same dilema with my new D800 and I have a variety of cards but not the new 800x.

I can tell you that the 1000x 32GB CF card is noticibly faster than my 700x Delkin.

I reviewed the specs as another poster quoted and the 800x cards only have a write speed of 45 MB/s where the 32GB 1000x have a write speed of 145 MB/s.

I ended up going with 1000x 32GB Lexar and staying away from the 800 and I'm glad I did.

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#5. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 19-Dec-12 02:42 AM

Hi infamily,

I do some action shooting but not often. I am glad to know that you are able to use the 600x cards in burst mode without a problem. As I mentioned the camera package includes a 32 GB Sandisk 400x card that I can use for regular, non burst, shooting. I just don't know whether the relatively faster write speed of the 1000x is of any practical advantage over the 800x. The only reason I have to buy a faster card is for action shooting. I don't plan to do video.

Thanks for the post.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#6. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 4

Wed 19-Dec-12 02:50 AM

Hi fjcranston,

Based on your experience with the 700x and 1000x cards, did you find that you are able to shoot faster in burst mode with the faster card? That may sound like a dumb question, and maybe it is, but I wonder whether the camera buffer will actually process the files any faster than the 800x will write. I don't understand the technical aspects of this. However I do have experience with overspending on various camera and computer equipment, only to find out that a less expensive item would have worked as well as the high dollar item I bought. That is what I am trying to avoid. If the 1000x actually enables one to shoot faster with the D800/E I will buy it. I don't mind spending the extra bucks if I get something for my money.

Thanks for your input.

JDT

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#7. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 6

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Wed 19-Dec-12 07:17 AM

I have 2 Lexar 16GB x400 and two x1000. SDHC cards I have 2 Lexar 16GB x600 and two x600. Thom Hogan recommends using 16GB over 32 GB to help negate loss of images if the card fails.

I use the x1000 CF and x600 SDHC for wildlife where speed of buffering is more important and the X400 CF for landscapes/portraits where buffering speed is of no concern. The SDHC cards are purely for either RAW or jpeg backup.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ttoolan

Sacramento, US
953 posts

#8. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

ttoolan Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2004
Wed 19-Dec-12 04:46 PM | edited Wed 19-Dec-12 04:49 PM by ttoolan

I have no experience with the 800x Lexar but I went with the 32Gb 1000x CF and the 32Gb 600x SD for my 800E and figured I would not be bothered with the questions whether I should have gone for the faster card or not. For my situation the price difference wasn't a deal breaker. Also the configuration I went with was Raw to the CF and Jpeg to the SD card. I've been very happy with it so far.

Tom
D800E, D3, D200, D70, F6, F3/T, F2AS, FM2N

We all come into this world with our little egos equipped with individual horns. If we don't blow them, who else will?
George Sanders as Addison DeWitt in "All About Eve"

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#9. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 19-Dec-12 08:54 PM

I did a lot of testing some time ago, and you really need to find out if your shooting style allows this to matter.

The raw, one-burst difference is not large from the slow cards to the fast; I don't have the numbers handy but from 30mbs to the fastest card maybe 20 vs. 30 shots. Now that can be significant for some, but 20 is 5 seconds at full speed, and for a lot of people they never get close to that.

To me the far bigger matter is... well, bigger. The files are so large, I now only shoot with 64G cards in the camera, so I can get through an entire event on one card. ANd you can buy two 64G cards of moderate speed for the price of one 32G card of absolute top speed (or last time I checked).

The other matter to consider is if you plan to use SD's as backup -- if you do, write speed is the SUM of the two card speeds, so you need to get very fast cards from both if you really want long bursts. As well as big cards.

I run with a slowish 128G backup SD card and a moderate speed 64G CF card. I very rarely hit the buffer full. It does happen.

So think hard before you decide you really need a super fast card. Or maybe you buy a small 1000x for only those few times, and most times use big moderate speed cards, and save a lot of money vs. all very fast cards.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

cam08529

Overland Park, US
5 posts

#10. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

cam08529 Registered since 22nd May 2009
Wed 19-Dec-12 11:41 PM

I bought a Lexar 16GB 800x CF card for my D800 a few weeks ago. I also have Sandisk 60MB/sec and 90MB/sec CF cards. I have a Sandisk 90MB/sec SD card in the other slot but it is only for overflow. When I am at the speedway, I like to set the shutter at CL so I can capture the start, finish and "racing incidents" on the track. So for me, fast cards are good for fast cars. I did a little experiment with my cards. With the shutter on CL, I fired off 10 shots and measured the time from the first shot to the green light off. The Lexar 800x took the longest. The Sandisk 60MB/sec was about 5 seconds faster and the Sandisk 90MB/sec was about 15 seconds faster. My test methodology may be disputed by some here, but I think the Sandisk 90MB/sec will be my speedway card. As noted in an earlier reply to this post, the Lexar 800x has a slower write speed than read speed. Sandisk read and max write speeds are the same.

I'm sure people shots and such, the Lexar 800x will work fine for me. It will probably be working Christmas day.

Regards
Jeff C

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#11. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 7

Wed 19-Dec-12 11:42 PM

Hi Richard,

I plan to follow your procedure of using the x400 card (a 32 GB x400 comes with the camera) for landscapes/portraits and using the "fast" card for action shooting. Now I need to define "fast". Unless I become convinced that the better write speed of the x1000 vs. the x800 will not matter I will spend the extra bucks and buy the x1000.

I do not plan to use the SDHC slot.

Thanks for the input.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#12. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 8

Wed 19-Dec-12 11:46 PM

Hi Tom,

I will probably also buy the 1000x card for "fast" shooting. I am just trying to avoid spending money for nothing. I have done that with other purchases...fast computer hardware that the software could not use, etc. So my question is whether the 1000x will actually allow me to shoot faster with the D800E. I assume, but do not know, that it will. I do not plan to use the SD slot. I shoot everything in raw without backup.

Thanks for your input.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#13. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 9

Thu 20-Dec-12 12:09 AM

Hi Linwood,

As mentioned above I plan to use the 32GB 400x (45MB/s I think) Sandisk card for "regular" shooting. I want one "fast" card for action shooting. I do not plan to use SD cards. I have a half dozen or so "slow" cards (133x) that I use with my D200 that will work with the D800 for "slow" shooting, so that is also a possibility. I do not need for all D800 cards to be "fast" cards. It is interesting to note that the Lexar 800x cards have a read speed of 45MB/s and the 600x Sandisk cards ("Extreme Pro") cards have a read speed of 90 MB/s. So I don't understand what the "speed ratings" (400x; 600x; 800x, etc.) mean, or if they mean anything. It appears that that number may be misleading. That is one reason I started this post...to share information and learn more about the ratings and relative values of these cards.

Thanks for your post.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#14. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 10

Thu 20-Dec-12 12:33 AM

Hi Jeff,

Until I read the feedback from my post I had not paid much attention to the specifications for the various cards. As a result of reading the posts and doing a little more observing I have noted that the "speed" ratings (400x; 600x; 800x, etc.) are not consistent with the "read" ratings of the cards (45MB/s, etc.). For example, the read speed for the Lexar 800x card is 45MB/s and the speed rating of the Sandisk 90MB/s cards ("Extreme Pro") cards is 600x. So do the "speed ratings" (400x; 600x; 800x, etc.) mean anything? It appears from your experience that the read speeds are what one should consider, not the "speed ratings". That is helpful information. I had assumed that the speed ratings were indicative of the speed of the card. I therefore had planned to buy the Lexar 800x card if I did not buy the Lexar 1000x card. It appears that the choice really should be between the Lexar 1000x card and the Sandisk 600x/90MB/s/Extreme Pro cards. The information you provided is what I had hoped to obtain with my post. Thanks for sharing your experience.

If anyone can provide any information with regard to the apparent inconsistency of the "speed ratings" vs. the read speeds please do so. I find this very confusing and inconsistent...but I don't purport to understand any of it beyong reading the numbers.

JDT

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#15. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 13

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:40 AM

speed of 90 MB/s. So I don't understand what the "speed
>ratings" (400x; 600x; 800x, etc.) mean, or if they mean
>anything. It appears that that number may be misleading. That
>is one reason I started this post...to share information and
>learn more about the ratings and relative values of these

As I understand it (and not sure if I do), the "x" it refers to was originally .15mbs. So a 400x card is 60mbs.

However, the rules for this seem a bit loose, e.g. read vs. write (which do you quote), and of course peak speed is only achieved with certain camera hardware.

When I said 20-30 was the range from slow to fast, I was quoting Rob Goldbraith, and his how many shots in 30 seconds.

I think the more interesting number is how many full speed shots you get, and there is almost NO difference there. Try it. Put the slowest card in and you'll probably get about 13-15 lossless compressed 14 bit. With the 1000x card you will get about 17 before it pauses and slows. In my experience it's just about a second of shooting difference between $30 and $300 cards for full speed bursts.

Now the time to finish dumping the buffer is highly affected by the card speed, so if you want to affect how long until the green light goes off it's very important. Which impacts subsequent shots, and total shots over a period of time. I am not pretending it does not matter, just depends on what matters to you.

But try it -- the D800's ability to burst at full speed is not very affected by card speed. You are largely limited to the buffer, plus up to about 4.

Linwood

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#16. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 20-Dec-12 06:33 AM

In all honesty I read a lot about card speeds and suitability for various requirements, but have come to the conclusion that unless one is a "machine gun" shooter card speed makes little difference on the D800. After all, the rather slow fps rate compared to either my old D700 or my current D7000 makes fast cards not quite as much an issue really.

If I was starting again I would probably have saved some money and have bought x400 cards. If I need the faster fps I take my D7000 equipped as I do with x600 SD cards.

Although perhaps not relevant to this discussion, I held off buying the D800 for a long time because of the slower fps in hope that a D400 would appear. I have learned that in fact for 90% of my shooting the D800 is more than adequate.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

cam08529

Overland Park, US
5 posts

#17. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 14

cam08529 Registered since 22nd May 2009
Thu 20-Dec-12 10:35 AM

JDT:

I'm not sure what the speed "X" ratings mean. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us. I have just looked at the read and write transfer specs when selecting cards. To me the write speed is important but I can understand where others would appreciate a fast read speed for more efficient file processing work flow.

Jeff C

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#18. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 17

Thu 20-Dec-12 10:38 AM

>JDT:
>
>I'm not sure what the speed "X" ratings mean.

The conventional meaning is multiply the number by 0.15MBS, but as there are no real accuracy police it means whatever the marketing company can get away with.

But generally speaking then 1000x is 150MBS, 400x is 60MBS, etc.

Linwood

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4129 posts

#19. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 16

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Thu 20-Dec-12 12:29 PM

The D800 frame rate may be rather slow, but because of the large files the amount of bits being moved is about the same as the D4 at 10fps.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

fjcranston

US
10 posts

#20. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 6

fjcranston Registered since 25th Jan 2011
Thu 20-Dec-12 01:50 PM

>Hi fjcranston,
>
>Based on your experience with the 700x and 1000x cards, did
>you find that you are able to shoot faster in burst mode with
>the faster card? That may sound like a dumb question, and
>maybe it is, but I wonder whether the camera buffer will
>actually process the files any faster than the 800x will
>write. I don't understand the technical aspects of this.
>However I do have experience with overspending on various
>camera and computer equipment, only to find out that a less
>expensive item would have worked as well as the high dollar
>item I bought. That is what I am trying to avoid. If the 1000x
>actually enables one to shoot faster with the D800/E I will
>buy it. I don't mind spending the extra bucks if I get
>something for my money.
>
>Thanks for your input.
>
>JDT

Hi JDT,

The camera will only shoot if there is available "buffer" space. When there is available buffer space, the D800 will shoot at up to 4 frames per second at full resolution.

Now, how fast the buffer gets emptied is up to the "write" speed of your card. This is only important if you find yourself shooting bursts such as action sports or in my case wedding photography. I always want to be ready for that next "moment" so I want the cards to empty my buffer as quickly as possible. You only get about 12 to 14 full res RAW files into the buffer on the D800 which can be consumed in a matter of seconds.

I found that the 1000x 32 GB Lexar emptied the full buffer more than twice as fast as my 700x 32 GB Delkin.

It's worth it to me but it may not be to you depending on what you are using the camera for and if you're a pro and getting paid to shoot.

FJC

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#21. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 18

Thu 20-Dec-12 02:19 PM

Linwood, that is helpful information. The "odd duck" in the mix seems to be the Lexar 800x, for which (and I think someone else pointed this out) the read speed is stated to be (according to B&H website) 120 MB/s (consistent with the formula stated by you) and the write speed of which is stated to be 45 MB/s. The stated read and write speeds of the Sandisc cards are, I think, the same and consistent with the .15 forumla (e.g. the 600x cards state read and write speeds of 90 MB/s. Based on this information I think I will scratch the Lexar 800x card from consideration due to the relatively slow write time.

Thanks for the post. I think I may have learned something.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#22. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 20-Dec-12 02:25 PM

Linwood, that is good information based on real life experience. My new D800E is scheduled for delivery today so I will hopefully be able to do some tests. I do plan to buy one "fast" card for action shooting. It is interesting that you find that the card speed does not make much difference in shutter action but only in the write times. Thanks for the input.

JDT

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#23. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 16

Thu 20-Dec-12 02:34 PM

Hi Richard,

Like you, I do want the elusive D400 (to replace my D200). In fact I started a post asking the question of whether the D800/E would serve well as a substitute for the D400 until (maybe that should be an "if" rather than "until") it is available. I am glad to know (for you, me and others) that you have found the D800 to serve your needs well. Of course I do not also have a D7000 so I am not as well equipped. A higher fps for action would be nice. I am still hopeful that Nikon will produce the D400 (or whatever it is called). If so the D800 and D400 would make a very nice set of tools.

JDT

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4559 posts

#24. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 23

Thu 20-Dec-12 03:52 PM

Hi Jim

I was really hanging on for the D400, but on here folks who already had the D800 gave compelling evidence that the camera would meet most of my needs. As I am as keen on Landscape as Wildlife the decision was slightly easier, although I already had the D700 which was wonderful.

The only area now that I can say the D800 is lacking, but only marginally, is fast moving birds and when panning and keeping in focus. To be fair the UK weather has been a testing time here and bright days are a rarity at present, that said I did manage to get some very satisfactory shots in the Autumn just as I got my D800.

I am looking forward to the spring and really flexing the D800 muscles. However, I have gone from the status of "desperate" for a D400 to"maybe I'll still consider one". At this time I am more interested in the build quality of a DX semi pro and the better balance it gives me with long lenses. I am not a great advocate of the D7000, but that's just a personal issue and does not reflect in it's capabilities.

Richard

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#25. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 22

Thu 20-Dec-12 04:24 PM

>Linwood, that is good information based on real life
>experience. My new D800E is scheduled for delivery today so I
>will hopefully be able to do some tests. I do plan to buy one
>"fast" card for action shooting. It is interesting
>that you find that the card speed does not make much
>difference in shutter action but only in the write times.
>Thanks for the input.

Yes. Though it depends. It's about style of shooting.

Here's my oversimplified "which one are you":

You need to just shot a continuous burst, at full speed, for as long as you possibly can. You do it once, then a long (many seconds or minutes) before you need to do it again:

-- Card speed helps very little
-- You may not have the right camera, or
-- JPG

You shoot action with bursts, but there is "rest" time between. Batters in baseball, plays in football, charges to the basket in basketball, jumping horses. So you may shoot 2-3 seconds of fast bursts, but there is 30 seconds in between.

-- Card speed doesn't matter because there's plenty of time to empty

You shoot something with continuous action in bursts with little recovery time over a long period, like soccer plays that charge the goal from end to end, you shoot 3-4 shoots, pause a second or so, a few more after that pass, brief pause, 4-5 during a defensive challenge, brief pause....

-- In this case card speed matters a LOT. You can get a happy
-- medium where you can do this forever, as the pauses allow the
-- buffer to empty. Too slow a card, and just as they shoot on goal
-- you find you can no longer shoot. As the ball comes to rest
-- in the goal, you finally get that next shot off, missing
-- all the important stuff.

Don't waste money on expensive cards to solve the first two cases, one it helps very little (though it does a bit), the other you just don't need. But the last case, if you are in that situation, it can help a lot.

Linwood

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#26. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 0

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Fri 21-Dec-12 11:02 PM

If you get Thom Hogan's D800 e-book, he has about eight pages devoted to a discussion of the relative merits of CF vs. SD cards, how to interpret their specs, and what you should shoot for in terms of minimum acceptable performance. He also has some links to other sites that have tested many cards in the D800, so you can get a good overview of how they will perform in your camera. I highly recommend it.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

#27. "RE: Lexar 32GB 1000x vs. Lexar 32GB 800x?" | In response to Reply # 26

Sat 22-Dec-12 02:20 PM

I do have the Hogan book. I don't think that it addresses the Lexar 800x cards, which, as mentioned above, seem are the ones with such disparity between read and write speeds. With the help offered above and paying a little more attention to the specs of the cards I think I have gained enough information to know what to do. So I ordered 2 Lexar 16 GB 1000x cards. I plan to shoot only compactflash cards.

Thanks for the post.

JDT

G