Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file

rigurat

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rigurat Registered since 07th Oct 2012
Wed 05-Dec-12 08:21 PM | edited Wed 05-Dec-12 10:04 PM by rigurat

Once in a while I get a monstrously HUGE and inflated JPEG file. It becomes apparent when transferring them to PC.

One time I got a 3.24 GB 36mp file and a 1.37 GB 16mp file. Both JPEG. But their accompanying RAW files were normal sized.

Here's some screenshots of the file properties. These are not the actual images.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/rigurat/forums/Untitled-1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/rigurat/forums/Capture.jpg

Way to large! Even TIFF's that resolution wouldn't go that big.

Settings were RAW + JPEG fine. Camera firmware is A 1.00 B 1.01. Camera model is D800E.

I checked if there was corruption or inconsistencies, it turned out clean.

It seems to be a firmware glitch.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#1. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 05-Dec-12 08:42 PM

Interesting - how were you ingesting or processing? Did these odd images fill or nearly fill your card.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

rigurat

US
4 posts

#2. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 05-Dec-12 09:03 PM

Camera settings are:

Noise reduction for long exposure and high ISO set to OFF.
Distortion control set to OFF.
Vignetting control set to OFF.
Image mode set to VIVID.

Memory cards are 64GB CF and 16GB SD.

I didn't notice the CF card (primary) filling up at the time. I didn't notice any of these odd images until now. I only had the camera for about 2 weeks.

The odd images look and behave as normal JPEGS (except the size). I only noticed it by chance when I saw it's large file size on the information pane.

avet4life

US
6 posts

#3. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 2

avet4life Registered since 05th Dec 2012
Wed 05-Dec-12 11:33 PM

To isolate the issue
1. Try with cf card only , format from the camera
2. Try with SD card only, format from camera
3. Reset camera default, still one card at a time.

How did you transfer the image over?

rigurat

US
4 posts

#4. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 3

Thu 06-Dec-12 06:27 AM

It's not an issue that occurs all the time. More like 1 out of 100 images will be inflated (maybe).

I transfer images through My Computer copy/paste into my images folder.

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10532 posts

#5. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 4

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 06-Dec-12 11:12 AM

I'm not sure I have enough information to attribute a cause of the error. I can't say it's firmware because I have questions about the workflow and potential corruption when it is being imported.

I would consider it a serious issue and try to isolate the potential issues.

When you transfer files, be sure to copy them but maintain the files on your card until you have checked everything. Immediately check the files to find out if there is one of these large JPEG files. If there is a bad file, repeat the copy routine and see if it happens to the same file a second time. If it does repeat to the same file, it is probably corrupted in the camera and would need service. Nikon will need the card to verify the problem. If the corrupt file does not repeat, it's probably your transfer workflow that is probably creating the issue. And while not likely to affect JPEGs only, you could have a bad memory card. You could always write images to both the CF card and SD card as backup to address that potential issue.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

rigurat

US
4 posts

#6. "RE: Firmware glitch makes HUGE inflated file" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 10-Dec-12 12:34 AM

I have a feeling it occurs when I shut off the camera too quickly. Sometimes while processing the JPEG file in-camera.

I have a tendency (one which I must quit) when I see a moment to capture is to quickly pull the camera out, switch on, snap and switch off immediately.

My CF card is a 64GB Transcend rated at UDMA7 400X. It is brand new. The SD card is also Transcend brand, 16GB class 6, MicroSD which has been in many of my past gadgets (PSP, other past digital cameras, cell phones) and has proved to be extremely reliable.

G