Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How much more extra processing will D800E images take?

tgurley24

St. Louis, US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tgurley24 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2012
Sun 01-Apr-12 01:38 PM

I understand there will be additional processsing work necessary for a D800E image but can't find details. I shoot primarily landscape and am not a pro; just an active amateur. Also not a pro at processing. Worried I have taken on too much heavy lifting in processing for not enough value in the final product (should I switch my order to D800?). Apologies if this topic has been covered; I'm new and just figuring out the mechanics of the site. Thanks.

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#1. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 0

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Sun 01-Apr-12 11:51 AM

It shouldn't take any extra processing unless you run into moire. If you're a landscape shooter you'll probably never run into moire unless you shoot screen doors or similar detailed patterns.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DMCdigitalmedia

US
130 posts

#2. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 1

DMCdigitalmedia Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Sun 01-Apr-12 12:41 PM

Agree - no extra processing needed . I saw on another post someone though the 800e would require a tripod more than the 800 . I think every one needs to relax ... The difference between the 2 is not going to be HUGE .....sloppy technique with yield sloppy images on either. As far as moire the LR4 and Capture ONE anti moire tools should be fine on the rare occasion you see moire in the d800e.......unless you shoot burlap or fabrics all day I think the 800e will be fine : )

www.dcarbophoto.com

"Like" me on facebook

www.facebook.com/dcarbophoto

tgurley24

St. Louis, US
11 posts

#3. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 01-Apr-12 03:28 PM

Thanks. Felt like much ado about nothing, but with NASA-like technology you never know.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#4. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 1

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Mon 02-Apr-12 03:56 AM

I was out with the family today with my D7000 and found what looks like Moire' to me....

Whole picture:

Click on image to view larger version

100% crop:

This was on my 24-70 F2.8 @ F5.6 1/1250 iso100

For these kind of pictures, I don't think it's a big deal... for wedding's... well different story.... The big thing to note here is that this was on a man made net... In nature, should be rear...
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

robsb

San Jose, US
14858 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#5. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 4

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Mon 02-Apr-12 04:33 AM

Atsa Moire! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

DMCdigitalmedia

US
130 posts

#6. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 5

DMCdigitalmedia Registered since 04th Jan 2007
Mon 02-Apr-12 11:01 AM

>Atsa Moire! Sorry I couldn't resist.
>
>

LOL.....It had to be said.....

www.dcarbophoto.com

"Like" me on facebook

www.facebook.com/dcarbophoto

pollarda

Provo, US
68 posts

#7. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 4

pollarda Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2007
Sat 07-Apr-12 08:15 PM

It looks to me that the cloth in question is not a fabric per-se but more of a mesh. For example, it looks as if you can see sky through it rather than the sky / light being a reflection.

If it is a mesh, the moire you are seeing is not caused by your camera but by two layers of mesh overlapping and creating a moire pattern on their own. You may have been able to see this with your eye at the time had you been looking for it.

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 0

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 02-Apr-12 02:24 AM

I'd expect D800e to require less processing, specifically less or no capture sharpen step. Unless you're trying to correct moiré, that should be the only difference.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#9. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 8

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 02-Apr-12 11:27 AM

The extra price is the only the only problem for me.
If you do not have it locked in, Nikon is raising it ($500?) for the e.

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

#10. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 9

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 02-Apr-12 04:57 PM

>The extra price is the only the only problem for me.
>If you do not have it locked in, Nikon is raising it ($500?)
>for the e.

Can you post a source for that info?

I'm aware Nikon UK announced a price hike. Despite speculation in the USA, I notice that B&H is still allowing pre-orders at the original price, so the option to "lock in" is apparently still open:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843007-REG/Nikon_25498_D800E_SLR_Digital_Camera.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Given the D800e includes a Capture NX2 license, that offsets some of the additional price, at least if you don't already own NX2. Based on what I've seen around the internet so far, I'm convinced NX2 is the raw converter you want to use with the D800e.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#11. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 10

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 09-Apr-12 04:09 AM | edited Mon 09-Apr-12 04:10 AM by RRRoger

>>The extra price is the only the only problem for me.
>>If you do not have it locked in, Nikon is raising it
>($500?)
>>for the e.
>
>Can you post a source for that info?
>
>I'm aware Nikon UK announced a price hike. Despite speculation
>in the USA, I notice that B&H is still allowing pre-orders
>at the original price, so the option to "lock in" is
>apparently still open:

This is what my local camera store manager told me while I was picking up my D800.
Perhaps it is the price difference compared to the D800.

tgurley24

St. Louis, US
11 posts

#12. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 07-Apr-12 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the help. One last question: if I do encounter moire is the solution to run the RAW image through Capture first? I assume Lightroom has a similar capability to reduce this effect?

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#13. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 12

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 07-Apr-12 12:34 PM

The way you describe your photography there is no reason to buy the D800E rather than the D800. You will have more detail than you will know what to do with with the D800.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5703 posts

#14. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 07-Apr-12 01:39 PM

>I understand there will be additional processsing work
>necessary for a D800E image but can't find details.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning it, but it takes extra processOR time, in the sense that your favorite program may need to work harder. I use lightroom, and rendering 1:1 previews is noticably slower, maybe 3-4 times as slow. To be fair, I had to upgrade to a new version at the same time, so some of the slowness may be it.

But also when I render into Photoshop to edit from Lightroom, it's noticeably slower. Not unacceptably slow, but slower.

And of course for a given speed card, 3-4x the size image takes longer to download to your computer, or to upload to your photo web site.

So when people talk about extra processing time they may be simply talking computer time.

Most of this to me is moot -- I tend to come into the house, pop the CF card in the reader, start lightroom, and go clean up, eat, drink, etc. and when I'm done all the shots are loaded, previews built, etc.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#15. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 14

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Sat 07-Apr-12 05:54 PM

I ordered an 800E on opening day, and I've had some doubts about whether I made the right decision. I shoot landscape, primarily, and some low-res, intended-for-Facebook events. I've looked at some of the comparison images; some show little difference, others more. I went to a website devoted to Leicas where they're very anal about resolution. Here's the link:

http://lavidaleica.com/content/anti-aliasing-filter-primer

I also saw this photo that was attributed to Nikon that seems to be a dramatic difference between the two cameras. Can't vouch for its authenticity or degree of processing. I also looked at some Canon-oriented sites where they showed images taken with cameras that had their OLPF removed. Pretty dramatic difference. I guess I'll find out whether the moiré makes any difference the hard way.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#16. "RE: How much more extra processing will D800E images take?" | In response to Reply # 15

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 07-Apr-12 06:16 PM | edited Sat 07-Apr-12 06:28 PM by TomCurious

This example has already been debunked a long time ago. These were screen captures somebody took from a Nikon video about those models. Obviously, nobody would buy a D800 or any camera for that matter if it delivered like that sample.

There have been a number of good comparisons posted over the last couple weeks on various sites, including full resolution jpegs as well as NEF files for both models that show the difference (or lack thereof) much better.

Here is one of those comparisons. These are 100% crops. See full images at http://www.fotopolis.pl

D800:
]http://www.fotopolis.pl/obrazki/pw-d800-m100.jpg

D800E:
http://www.fotopolis.pl/obrazki/pw-d800e-m100.jpg

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

G