Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting....

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tommiejeep Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008
Sat 07-Apr-12 05:55 AM

At first this looked as if was limited to a single batch of D800s but it might have impacted on my D800 in India. Now it 'appears' that it may not be a batch issue.

I am well aware of some of the rubbish that gets posted on Dpr which is one of the reasons I joined Nikonians some time back .

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41128645

I am sure some of you have seen it and if I had the D800 I would have tested mine immediately .

Anyone tried it? My Mumbai dealer is supposed to be calling me today to confirm my pickup next week. I'll see if there has been any delay in the shipments.
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#1. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 07-Apr-12 01:38 PM

Your message prompted me to put my 24mm f1.4 on my D800 and take some test shots I cannot see any difference in focus from left to right of the image. Clearly, other folks are not having this problem or it would be reported by others.

It could be a quality problem in some batch. My serial number is very different, however. It is 3001706.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#2. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 07-Apr-12 01:59 PM

As with Larry (and probably about the same time) I grabbed a 85/1.4G and shot against a flat painting with a nice torn edge. I saw some variation between shots (even using the same focus point) but no difference associated right to left. My s/n starts with 3001xxx (the referred topic says 8000xxx to 8001xxx.

Not implying either there is no problem, just that there are cameras that appear to have no problem.

I will say that I see far more variation in the fine tune needed on this camera than any other I have had. I don't know if they changed what "-10" means, or it is just somehow interacting with the lens to require more. My 14-24 for example took about a -16, and it made a big difference in focus.

Live view is very nice, as it gives a good objective standard shot you can judge others against.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

#3. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Sat 07-Apr-12 05:54 PM | edited Sat 07-Apr-12 06:52 PM by JHzlwd

My s/n begins 5004...and there is no AF problem at all with a wide, fast lens suggesting the problem is, indeed, batch related. In fact, I cannot find the slightest flaw in this camera at all. With settings guaranteed to reveal them if they exist, not one dead or stuck pixel and no amp noise either. Remarkable - and possibly lucky :~

Best wishes,
jh

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4122 posts

#4. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 3

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 07-Apr-12 10:14 PM

The first digit of the serial number is a country/region code. I has no bearing on the production order. Nikon will probably not sell 8 million D800s in the lifetime of the camera an certainly has not built any where near even 1 million to date.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#5. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

Sat 07-Apr-12 11:51 PM

Many thanks guys. It obviously is not a wide spread problem The thread on Dpr has reached its; limit so the subject may disappear . I was concerned because India will have the same country code as the Op on the thread.

My dealer did call and the first ones are expected tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest . He will not have the serial #'s until he gets the paperwork/cameras. I do not really 'need' the camera. I would like to have one by the middle of next month for the big pre-monsoon soccer tournament season.

What I really do not want to get involved with is having to send the camera back to Nikon.

Interesting that the need to fine tune lenses, and amount of fine tuning, seems to have increased and means more set-up time for the D800.

I'll have to decide if I am going with the first delivery or wait for a bit.

What is interesting is that up until about four years ago , all/most of the Nikons available here had US country code.
Cheers,
Tom

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#6. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sun 08-Apr-12 01:18 PM

One sure thing is finding some of the same troll names posting about problems with Nikons on DPR, regardless of the model. Some of those names show up on the Canon forums bragging about how much better their Canon is than a Nikon. Pentax owners do the same thing on Nikon forums. Not sure what kick they get out of it but it sure causes a long of trusting souls to hold off on buying what they wanted.
Manufacturers have discovered they can, for very little investment, create fear and confusion for their competitors on user review sites and forums. The worst ones are small hotels and restaurants, for gaming the system. Nowadays user reviews are more critical for sales than paid advertising so print newspapers and magazines are seeing ad revenue drop very fast as promotion shifts to anonymous posts on forums.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#7. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 6

Mon 09-Apr-12 12:35 AM

Stan, the 'ignore' box is one of the better things that has happened to Dpr in recent times! . It is still a very good place for some things such as the camera comparisons. Definitely not what it used to be for getting a direct answer to a question from someone who knows what they are talking about

I've been spending a lot of time on the M43 and Fuji forums(not just Dpr) recently (now that is a wild one!)and there has been a fair amount of discussion about paid 'shills' on forums!

I take your point on Hotels. I used to go to Tripadvisor first thing... not anymore
Cheers,
Tom

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#8. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 0

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 08-Apr-12 06:51 PM

>I am well aware of some of the rubbish that gets posted on Dpr
>which is one of the reasons I joined Nikonians some time back
> .
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=41128645

Nope . . . it's still rubbish. Read the whole thread on DPR. Ming agreed (on his own web site) and in the DPR thread that his tests were flawed. Early adopters - pros or not - who end up with one of the first couple of thousand cameras coming off the production line certainly do encounter problems. Problem is, none of the three pros I've talked to in Toronto who've received their D800 bodies have anything but praise for the cameras. Read Ming's blog and the DPR thread up to the point where he apologizes for the flaws in his testing and states that he'll be doing some corrected testing soon.

My D800 is not here yet and I'm really glad it is not here just yet. If it shows up sometime in late May, that will mean it's from a tweaked production run. "Tweaked" in this case means that some initial production teething/QC/adjustment/calibration issues will have been worked out quite nicely I'll wager.

When I ordered my D700 on the day it was announced several years ago, I was delivered of an early production run unit with an almost DOA AF system. The AF system took about three weeks to die. The replacement D700 was from a later shipment which exhibited no problems whatsoever and still works beautifully. Call me cynical, but early adoption is early adoption. I say, let some other people be pioneers - especially with complex electronic gear.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

tommiejeep

Goa, IN
4638 posts

#9. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 09-Apr-12 12:55 AM

Howard, I agree on all points. By pure accident I bought the D300 on 10 Dec 2007. Walked into a small branch of Wolfes in Houston ,Tx, to buy a lenspen.... asked the manager if they had seen the D300 yet and they had rec'd 20 the day before. One of the pre-orders had not shown up to collect after several phone conversations and the manager was not happy....so.... Fortunately I only suffered from DBS once and the roving focus point but both were fixed with firmware.

My present thinking is that I will ask the Mumbai dealer when they expect another shipment. This is not due to the AF points issue but along you idea of letting the camera get "Tweaked" in general.

I did see all of Ming's post and blog comments. Funny, I would not have tested as such but would have been very upset shooting birds and having my 'composed' shot oof because I was using an outer point! I have high hopes for the new f8 AF since I've recently been shooting D300s/500vr/tc1.7 in very low morning light and had to move down to f7.1 from center point to get AF.

Cheers,
Tom

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#10. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 9

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Mon 09-Apr-12 02:25 AM

>My present thinking is that I will ask the Mumbai dealer when
>they expect another shipment. This is not due to the AF
>points issue but along you idea of letting the camera get
>"Tweaked" in general.
>
>I did see all of Ming's post and blog comments. Funny, I
>would not have tested as such but would have been very upset
>shooting birds and having my 'composed' shot oof because I was
>using an outer point! I have high hopes for the new f8 AF
>since I've recently been shooting D300s/500vr/tc1.7 in very
>low morning light and had to move down to f7.1 from center
>point to get AF.

Makes me wonder if a few people have 14-24 lenses that are slightly decentred in some way that wasn't noticed before, or are slightly soft on one side in a way that, again, wasn't noticed before. That might be a bit of a 'stretch' though. If the reports are true, it's just teething pains that the factory fixes on the fly as reports come in. Only a relative handful of complaints reported to date.

I think Nikon and its main competitor know how to rake bug report and functionality problem information into the engineers and factory managers during early production/release situations so that they can tweak the line as needed. From time to time, prototype field testing simply doesn't reveal enough of the engineering for certain actual problems to appear. That's why Nikon, as experienced as it is at all this, stands ready to react to reports of flaws in production units. We should keep in mind too that Nikon is even more ready than usual, given that it wants cameras as perfect as possible in the well-practiced hands of thousands of pros heading for the Olympics in London in July. That means even the smallest issues have to be fixed fast and well.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

fastprime

CA
1 posts

#11. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 8

fastprime Registered since 09th Apr 2012
Mon 09-Apr-12 08:05 PM

I went to Ming's Blog and can't find any indication that he backed-off his AF bug finding at all. He even indicates that Nikon issued a bulletin to Nikon Asia regarding the AF issue. Further, he indicated that he tested a second D800 body at Nikon with Nikon techies and replicated the same problem (ie., left focus points can't achieve accurate focus with wide angle lens wide open, whereas centre points and right side points do). A number of different WA lenses were tested and the issue was consistent.

If you can link directly to a page where he refutes his earlier findings please post it.

Thank you

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#12. "RE: I'm getting cold feet (or cooler feet :) )about D800 early adopting...." | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 09-Apr-12 08:46 PM

>If you can link directly to a page where he refutes his
>earlier findings please post it.

His blog post commits to his conclusions. In his responses to a couple of nicely reasoned comments, however, Ming indicated that he felt he could do a better job of focus testing.

There are always a few bad cameras in every new release. Based of field feedback from its networks, Nikon tweaks the line during early production runs in order to iron out bugs which creep in during mass production. Whatever hardware problem does in fact exist in a couple of small, early batches is not going to exist in later runs and does not seem to exist in current runs.

Already though, a number of D800 owners are declaring online that they need guidance with respect to focus testing, setting up AF testing charts on walls, how to use Auto FT, etc., etc. It's the usual rush by photographers to tweak a cameras which usually don't need tweaking but rather, instead, do need yet another round of handheld and tripod skills tweaking and another lesson in what constitutes a valid/reliable AF target/subject. There are also now a few people wailing that the D800 AF system may be another 1D MK III AF fiasco, which is hilarious considering the excellent D800 field trial results and the fact that people such as Ming are delighted with the camera's performance with many other lenses old and new.

So far not a word from Digital Darrell about left side/14-24 AF issues or indeed anybody else of note outside Asia Pacific/HK. Amateur sleuths pining for problems (and who spend too much time shooting test charts and brick walls) and oddball trolls don't count.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

G