Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800e Processing in LR

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 05-Nov-12 02:45 AM

I use Lightroom for all my RAW processing and I've noticed that I am consistently needing to lower the highlights and bump up the shadows on almost every shot. Otherwise the contrast seems way too high. Many times, -100 on the highlights and +100 on the shadows.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me and what would cause this?

Mike Guilbault

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: D800e Processing in LR" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Mon 05-Nov-12 05:23 AM

Which metering mode are you using? Is there something typical in your shots, like focus on a light or dark object, similar conditions, or the like?

Regards, Antero

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16909 posts

#2. "RE: D800e Processing in LR" | In response to Reply # 0

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 05-Nov-12 09:15 AM | edited Mon 05-Nov-12 09:16 AM by walkerr

No, it behaves similarly to every other camera I've used with LR4. Any chance you have another parameter that's accidentally changed and gotten into your default settings? Is contrast set to zero?

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#3. "RE: D800e Processing in LR" | In response to Reply # 0

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Mon 05-Nov-12 05:33 PM | edited Mon 05-Nov-12 06:15 PM by jamesvoortman

Mike
Assuming your screen is calibrated ?

Would be great if you could post a sample image, before PP.

Have you definitely isolated the problem to LR? assuming the unprocessed pics look the same in View NX2.

If the problem was coming from the camera, View NX2 would also make them look too contrasty. then you can check camera settings and maybe reset to defaults if necessary.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

mikeguil

ELMVALE, CA
453 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: D800e Processing in LR" | In response to Reply # 3

mikeguil Registered since 18th Dec 2005
Tue 06-Nov-12 01:04 AM

I'm sure it has nothing to do with metering. My exposures are fine.

Yes, my screen is calibrated (although I'm sure it could be re-calibrated). I don't have NX2 - haven't used Capture since about version 2 - way too slow for my workflow and I didn't bother with any upgrades since I upgrade my MacPro. So, the only options I have are LR or ACR.

I only shoot in RAW, so most settings on the camera (Picture Control and such) shouldn't affect it. I do have a ColourChecker Passport, so I may create a new profile and try that.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll post a sample once I'm back in the studio.

Mike Guilbault
Elmvale, Ontario, Canada
http://www.PhotographyWorkshops.ca
http://www.MGPhotography.com

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

#5. "RE: D800e Processing in LR" | In response to Reply # 4

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 25th Feb 2012
Mon 12-Nov-12 11:58 PM

When LR imports a RAW file, it applies settings that you might have set to a higher contrast than you intended. When doing the import, check what presets are applied in the Apply During Import tab, and also what camera picture control might be selected in that preset. You could always reset your import preset, or select None, and see it that alters your results.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

G