Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 07-Apr-12 07:57 PM

Is anyone else with a D800 using the 1000x CF cards from Lexar?

I have a 1000x 16G, and also have a 400x 64G.

The 1000x has now failed twice. The first time I thought it was related in some fashion to being full (it was almost full, but had room for 3 more shots). The second which just happened was a complete failure -- it had just been formatted, I shot 11 images with the D800 in "write to both cards" mode.

The 12th failed with a "Err" indicating the CF card. Remove, insert -- said "needs to be formatted before use". Took it to the computer, same thing, "needs to be formatted".

The images were on the SD card, and fortunately were just experimentation anyway.

I have never had a CF card fail in years and years of use, so either I'm due or.... is anyone else using these in the D800?

The 64G 400x card that I have works fine, and I have used it even more.

Now I have to figure out how to make a warranty claim I guess, but more concerned if the D800 has trouble with the newer, faster cards? They aren't on the "approved" list, but I assumed because they were too new. Now I'm wondering.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#1. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 07-Apr-12 06:03 PM

Well, so much for the easy warranty claim at B&H -- they are closed until April 27TH!!! At which point their 30 day return expires.

Un-believable. I just received it a week ago, and they are now closed for 3 weeks up until my 30 day return expires.

I wonder if Lexar warranty support is any good.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#2. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Mon 09-Apr-12 02:02 AM | edited Mon 09-Apr-12 02:45 AM by Gator Bob

>
>Well, so much for the easy warranty claim at B&H -- they
>are closed until April 27TH!!! At which point their 30 day
>return expires.

Relax. B&H reopens Sunday April 15 NOT the 27th.

Gator Bob in Gainesville FL
D700 & SB800 * D800 on order
Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm Macro

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#3. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sat 07-Apr-12 06:51 PM

I have the Lexar 1000x 64gb card and it seems to work fine.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

critidoc

Kingsville, US
296 posts

#4. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 3

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Sun 08-Apr-12 07:34 AM

I have been using the lexar 16 and 32 GB cards and they work fine.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#5. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 4

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 08-Apr-12 08:17 AM

I noticed that the Lexar 1000X is not on the 'approved' list by Nikon in the D800 users manual...page 435. I am using the 600X.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

waltyoung

Doylestown, US
55 posts

#6. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 5

waltyoung Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 08-Apr-12 09:55 AM

I had 2 Lexar 16GB 600X (of the 3 purchased simultaneously in August) produce the same error on a D3X this week. Lexar has authorized return "for testing". Canon blog has several mentions of the problem with the Lexar 16GB 600X. Perhaps this is a Lexar issue and not a camera issue.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#7. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 09-Apr-12 01:21 PM

To "not approved" yes, I agree, mentioned that in original post. But that's not unusual, almost ever camera publishes a list that is obsolete before it comes out, and rarely if ever updated by Nikon. But your point is well taken.

I also found a couple of other posts on other forums that mentioned problems with the 1000x, and in both cases they were using it in conjunction with a SD card.

Larry, any chance you had both SD and CF going? I was in backup mode.

I went out later in backup mode with a 400x card and SD card as well, and it worked fine for about 350 shots.

>Perhaps this is a Lexar issue and not a camera issue.

Perhaps. I've never used Lexar before, always Sandisk. I did this time because of the 1000x to find out how fast the D800 could write, figuring it was faster than the camera (or at least my best bet).

I'm starting to think it may have been a mistake. Especially as they told me the same, send for "testing" and in 14-21 working days they will give me a response. In retrospect I'm stuck with that, as the packaging material is hardly pristine where I can return to B&H (and I'm not sure I would want to, as I assume they resell returned products, else why the requirement of pristine packaging, wouldn't want to do that to someone else).

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#8. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 7

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 09-Apr-12 02:16 PM

I have used the D800 with the Lexar CF card alone and with the SD card alone, and with both inserted. I have not encountered any problems.

I probably made a mistake in buying the 1000x card simply because I don't need that speed of transfer. Perhaps when I start shooting video it will come in handy.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#9. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 09-Apr-12 02:30 PM

>I probably made a mistake in buying the 1000x card simply
>because I don't need that speed of transfer. Perhaps when I
>start shooting video it will come in handy.

I bought it for the same reason, on spec that I might need the performance.

Recognizing that the internet is filled with rumor and FUD, I ran across this posting:

>> Apparently LEXAR IS Recalling ALL CF Cards ,
>>to be REProgrammed etc… to be able to be Compatible
>>with the New Nikon D800

That's on an individual's site here:

http://www.wynner.eu/photography/certain-cf-cards-may-not-work-with-nikon-d800/

in a comment by "BillyBoy". I've been unable to find anything confirming that anywhere, so take it with a huge grain of salt (though he seems to be a photographer of some substance). Other comments on that same page say that Lexar works fine, including the specific page referred to above as written by the author.

airlaw

Seattle, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 9

airlaw Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Sep 2002
Mon 09-Apr-12 05:22 PM

I assume you are formatting the cards in the camera only. If not, the error message you got is somewhat common. B&H should honor the warranty. I had a 32G card that went sideways 90 days after the expiration of the warranty and they replaced the card. Hope this helps.

Kit

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#11. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 09-Apr-12 05:24 PM

>I assume you are formatting the cards in the camera only. If
>not, the error message you got is somewhat common.

Yes, before each use, in the camera I intend to use.

Nikon_mex

México, D. F, MX
30 posts

#12. "RE: Anyone using Lexar 1000x CF Cards? Failed twice in D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Nikon_mex Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2006
Tue 10-Apr-12 01:56 AM

I have two CF 16GB 1000X Cards, and I am using the first one (I without any problem with my D800, and I can synchronized to my LR4.

I shoot about 70 images, full resolution (about 70MB each picture) and everything is OK at this time.

Let my test the second CF card and I will tell you if I have some problem.

Eduardo

Eduardo Pino
Mexico

G