Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To Digital Darrell Re: Eye-Fi Compatibility

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bdudzik Registered since 08th Apr 2009
Tue 23-Oct-12 05:04 AM

Darrell:

Not sure where to post this but I feel that you improperly took credit for something related to my earlier post on your book pointing out Eye-Fi's incompatibility with the D800. The article below, in the Nikonians Newsletter doesn't reference that another Nikonian raised the issue. (I don't know how to format the text below with indentation and italics).

Eye-Fi issues compatibility warning
The Nikon D800 / D800E is not compatible with Eye-Fi X2 Cards. That’s the official word from Eye-Fi posted recently on their Web site.
Nikonians author Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) contacted tech support for the company and reports on his findings in the D800 forum.
In a nutshell, the camera has a hefty build with enough metal and other signal deflecting or absorbing materials to hinder strong signals coming from the card.
You won’t have those issues if you dig deep in your wallet for Nikon’s WT-4A Wireless Transmitter. Online prices go as low as $750 USD (approx 575 Euros). Meanwhile we have some members exchanging ideas on cheaper solutions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#1. "RE: To Digital Darrell Re: Eye-Fi Compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 23-Oct-12 11:13 AM | edited Tue 23-Oct-12 11:46 AM by DigitalDarrell

Bruce,

The intention of my Eye-Fi incompatibility post was not about taking credit for anything. It was to let Nikonians here know of the information about potential problems with using Eye-Fi cards. In fact, in your other post, you asked me to comment on the rumor. I did so.

However, everyone reading this please be aware, Bruce Dudzick was the one who pointed out to me that there was a rumor that the Eye-Fi card was not compatible with the Nikon D800 and D800E cameras. When I read what Bruce asked me, in a different post, I immediately called Eye-Fi to validate the rumor. It was indeed true!

Therefore, all the credit for the discovery of this rumor, and the initial announcement of a potential problem, goes to Bruce (bdudzik).

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

flashdeadline

Havelock, US
4118 posts

#2. "RE: To Digital Darrell Re: Eye-Fi Compatibility" | In response to Reply # 0

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002
Tue 23-Oct-12 11:54 AM | edited Tue 23-Oct-12 11:56 AM by flashdeadline

Bruce,
I can assure you the general newsletter (next week) will note your finding and surfacing the problem. We always like to give credit where credit is due and we thank you for bringing the incompatibility issue to Darrell's attention.

Darrell had nothing to do with the newsletter posting. We skim the forums for interesting items to pass on in the newsletter and we missed your original post which was referring to an errata page entry for his book.

The only reason Darrell got a mention in the newsletter was for attribution regarding the Eye-Fi tech support angle. By referencing the phone call he had with Eye-Fi reps we therefore give a source for the information.

Once again, thank you very much for your help in getting this information out to our members!

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#3. "RE: To Digital Darrell Re: Eye-Fi Compatibility" | In response to Reply # 1

bdudzik Registered since 08th Apr 2009
Tue 23-Oct-12 04:55 PM

Darrell:

I apologize as I was in a somewhat cranky mood last night and I didn't know how to go in later and delete the post.

G