Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 16-Oct-12 11:17 PM

Dear readers of Mastering the Nikon D800,

I am happy to report that the first printing of Mastering the Nikon D800 is about to sell out and the publisher is reprinting for the holiday rush. May I ask for your help on a matter?

I have until Friday morning (October 19th) to report any errata (e.g., typos, mispellings, logic errors) in the book. There has been little errata reported to me so far.

If you have noted anything wrong in the text of the book, may I ask that you report it to me before Friday morning? Please do not post errata here in the forums. Instead, please report anything you have noted at my website's contact link here:

http://www.pictureandpen.com/Contact.asp

Thank you in advance for your help!

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#1. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 0

bdudzik Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2009
Wed 17-Oct-12 03:08 AM

As previously reported to you I was unable to post any errata to your Picture and Pen website so it was reported to your other website where respomnses were accepted.

Also, could you clarify the use of Eye-Fi 8 gb SD cards on the D800 camera since your book states that they are usable on the camera in direct mode while it was posted on Nikon Rumours that the Eye-Fi is (and was) not compatible with the D800.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#2. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 1

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Wed 17-Oct-12 11:37 AM

Sent you mail

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#3. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 18-Oct-12 03:22 PM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 03:30 PM by DigitalDarrell

I have received your emails and have compiled an errata page, which will be linked on the Downloadable Resource websites mentioned in the book. I am also submitting the errata corrections to the publisher and the next printing will have the corrections added.

Following are the current known errata and clarifications:

• Page 102 - Changed words "In this chapter" to "In this section"

• Page 126 - Clarification of why it's a good idea to shoot in Adobe RGB when using RAW (NEF) mode (even though it can be changed after the fact)

• Page 219 - Error in battery types and battery pack name for MB-D12 battery type section

• Page 259 - Missing double asterisks (**) on "Access top menu item in MY MENU"

• Page 334-336 - New information from from Eye-Fi about ad hoc (direct) mode incompatibility with Eye-Fi Pro X2 cards in the D800 and D800E

I have to submit the final errata document on Friday morning (19th). If anyone else has noticed any errata, please let me know today, if possible. Thank you!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#4. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 0

Thu 18-Oct-12 03:22 PM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 03:23 PM by DigitalDarrell

Double post...deleted (moderators, please delete this.)

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1651 posts

#5. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 4

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Thu 18-Oct-12 03:54 PM

Darrel - I have been intending to order the book, but have not due to endless other projects (I've had my D800 for a couple of months now and haven't even hit 150 shots yet!). How different will the second edition be, and should I wait? When will it be available?

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#6. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 5

Thu 18-Oct-12 04:18 PM

Neal,

This will not be a second edition. Instead it is a reprint of the first edition with any known errata corrected. I am sure my publisher has sufficient books in stock to carry them until the holiday season is over; however, with my Nikon D7000 book they ran out right at Christmas time in 2011 and a lot of people could not acquire the book until mid to late January. It was quite frustrating to say the least! They are reprinting the D800/E book early to prevent that from happening again.

There will be no substantive changes to the book. Only the errata corrections, which are minor (see list in previous post). I am almost finished with an errata document for download, and it will be available on the Downloadable Resources websites mentioned in the book. Thanks for considering my book!

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#7. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 18-Oct-12 04:47 PM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 04:49 PM by DigitalDarrell

Bruce,

My book does not mention "Direct" mode, that I am aware of. However, it does mention transferring image directly by using Ad hoc mode. Direct mode, according to Eye-Fi is for use with iPhones, iPads, Androids, etc., which I do not discuss at all in my book.

Ad hoc mode is for direct use with computers (for non Wi-Fi router transfers involving the Internet). On the Eye-Fi website FAQ discussing Direct mode, it lists Direct mode as having a lower priority than Ad hoc mode.

http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/direct-mode-faq/

After your query, I made a phone call to Eye-Fi and talked with them extensively on this subject. Following is what I found out:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=18428&mesg_id=18428&page=

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1651 posts

#8. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 6

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Thu 18-Oct-12 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, Darrell. I will order it soon, as we will be headed off to our winter project of volunteer work photographing old buildings in Death Valley National Park. I'll be ready then to really learn my new camera. Your book comes highly recommended, and I'm looking forward to using it.

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#9. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 7

bdudzik Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 05:38 PM

Darrell:

Thanks for digging further into this. I also did not fully understand the difference between "direct" and "ad hoc" with regard to use of the Eye-Fi but you, and Eye-Fi, have clarified that.

BTW, I do like your book and find it informative so I'm not just trying to nit-pick.

If I could only get some indication that the focus issues have been resolved on the D800E's and BH would get them in stock then I will place my order.

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#10. "RE: Mastering the Nikon D800, Errata list needed!" | In response to Reply # 8

Fri 19-Oct-12 11:21 AM

Neal,

Thanks for considering Mastering the Nikon D800. I hope you enjoy it and get a lot of benefit from it in learning to use your powerful new camera. The D800/E is amazing!

G