Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Current Production D 800's

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Mon 15-Oct-12 10:49 PM

I've decided to buy a D800, but don't need it right away. I would like to wait until I'm sure Nikon has fixed the left side autofocus problem. Does anyone know about current production? Is it time for me to buy or should I wait awhile?

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#1. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Tue 16-Oct-12 03:18 AM

This is a guessing game because Nikon isn't talking.

Get it from somewhere that accepts returns and check left focus immediately.

You can return it if the camera is not functioning correctly.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#2. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 16-Oct-12 04:46 AM

Find one at your local mom and pop pro camera store so you can confirm to your own satisfaction that it is perfect before buying it. If you find something that does not seem right, you have an experienced photographer there at the counter to either confirm or explain why you are in error. That is a major advantage in buying locally from a place that supports the local community.
The odds of getting a perfect camera are high. Many of the returned cameras to on-line shops are fine also but something was not understood about its operation or settings. The price is the same everywhere so you might as well get the customer service that no on-line shop can provide.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4963 posts

#3. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 2

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Tue 16-Oct-12 07:28 AM

To echo that, I had my dealer do the test for me.

I had a trip planned but had to sell my D700 first, so in the end I wasn't picking up the camera until Wednesday evening and leaving for a trip on the Friday morning. Originally I was going to "do the test" at the dealers myself but ran out of time. They very obligingly did the test for me

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#4. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 2

bdudzik Registered since 08th Apr 2009
Tue 16-Oct-12 05:57 PM

>Find one at your local mom and pop pro camera store so you
>can confirm to your own satisfaction that it is perfect before
>buying it. If you find something that does not seem right, you
>have an experienced photographer there at the counter to
>either confirm or explain why you are in error. That is a
>major advantage in buying locally from a place that supports
>the local community.
>The odds of getting a perfect camera are high. Many of the
>returned cameras to on-line shops are fine also but something
>was not understood about its operation or settings. The price
>is the same everywhere so you might as well get the customer
>service that no on-line shop can provide.
>
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

So is it still a "wait" for those of us "out in the boonies" without a local camera shop?

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#5. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 4

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 16-Oct-12 07:30 PM

Not many people are further out in the boonies than me, d800'wise, I traveled 20,000km round trip for onea couple months before they were available here. Once they arrived here, there was a glut of them however, every little film kiosk and shop had them in stock while the big on-line outlets in the US still had 10s of thousands on backorder. I guess timing matters.
If you are really in remote areas, you will likely have to take a chance that you even like the way it handles. I doubt I would be interested in a camera that I could not test first or handle. If I had not handled my choices first before buying I probably would have ended up with a plasticy Canon Rebel but when handling it, it thoroughly turned me off and I got my first Nikon and all Nikon since.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

dgs2

San Francisco, US
711 posts

#6. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 5

dgs2 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2004
Tue 16-Oct-12 11:29 PM

Stan,
Thanks for your replies. Since I am not out in the boonies, I can drive 30 miles to a dealer I trust. Since handling is important to you, I wonder which Nikon you had before the D800. I went from a D200 to a D7000. I have big hands and really liked the D200. The D7000 is OK, and I definitely like the image quality improvement I get from it, but just on the basis of handling, I would choose the D200. I'm hopeful the D800 will be more like the D200. What do you think?

dgs

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#7. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 5

bdudzik Registered since 08th Apr 2009
Wed 17-Oct-12 02:59 AM

>Not many people are further out in the boonies than me,
>d800'wise, I traveled 20,000km round trip for onea couple
>months before they were available here. Once they arrived
>here, there was a glut of them however, every little film
>kiosk and shop had them in stock while the big on-line outlets
>in the US still had 10s of thousands on backorder. I guess
>timing matters.
>If you are really in remote areas, you will likely have to
>take a chance that you even like the way it handles. I doubt I
>would be interested in a camera that I could not test first or
>handle. If I had not handled my choices first before buying I
>probably would have ended up with a plasticy Canon Rebel but
>when handling it, it thoroughly turned me off and I got my
>first Nikon and all Nikon since.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

OK, No disrespect but I'm not going to travel 20,000 km or 225 miles to Seattle to handle one so can someone answer my question. I currently am using a D2Xs and all I want to know is whether or not Nikon's problems with the D800E have been resolved?

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#8. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 7

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Wed 17-Oct-12 05:17 AM

I do not think anyone can supply you with a 100% yes or no answer.

If you don't want to travel, find an internet company with a 30 day return policy. B&H, Amazon, or Adorama have good return policies.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

gg987

Encino, US
91 posts

#9. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 8

gg987 Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Jun 2012
Thu 18-Oct-12 01:20 AM

Bought mine in June. No issues at all. I think this whole thing is overrated.

Gail Goldstein
D8ooE D800
AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#10. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 6

Thu 18-Oct-12 06:10 AM | edited Thu 18-Oct-12 06:19 AM by km6xz

hi DGS2
SF? I got all my gear up in Sacramento, either Action Camera or Pardee's but mostly from Action in Roseville. My Ca. home is located in southern Marin County however, just a few miles from you.
I got my first DSLR only 4 years ago, when the D90 came out. I had shot Canon film cameras for a long time(A1). I really like the D90, a lot of camera for the money at the time. Adding the grip made a big improvement in handling. I added a D7000 and use it alongside the D800 at events but most frames are with the D800. A recent wedding was a good workout for both and it remembered why I liked the D7000 so much. The bride's favorite candid was with the D7000, a natural skylight in the wedding venue but the D800 is so darned easy to get what is intended that it is hard not to pick up every time for any purpose. I have a grip for all 3 but my GF likes the D90 without the grip attached. A lot of my frames are vertical orientation so the grip is essential.
I have used everything from D100 to D4 and the D800 is more like the D200/300/700 but feels a little chunkier, thicker because of grip area reshaping. It, and the D3/4 are the best holding of any. Without a grip the d800 is still, in my tastes, a good handling camera whereas the D7000 is too small for comfort until the grip is added. The D7000 with grip is actually a little taller than a D3. Yesterday I got to hold a D600 for the first time. It feels larger and stouter than the D7000 but does look very familiar with the controls.
The only minor complaint about the D800 is the stretch needed to reach the Mode button for exposure. I really like the most maligned change from other semi-pro bodies, the AF mode button/command wheel function introduced in the D7000. Once you get used to it, it is faster and more versatile than the old lever switch.
You will feel right at home coming from a D200.....except for file sizes. If you are like me, you will be aware in the back of your mind just how much card space and processing time is involved the each shutter release and not take as many shots. In a way that was a big help in slowing down and thinking each shot through a bit so keeper rate is much higher. Another real improvement is how well all the image related subsystems work so it is almost hard to take a technically bad shot. Just keep the shutter speed up higher than you are used to if hand holding.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#11. "RE: Current Production D 800's" | In response to Reply # 7

Thu 18-Oct-12 06:14 AM

I don't think many of us could venture a guess since most of us have never seen a problem in the first place, so guessing whether a problem has been fixed does not illuminate your question. My advice to check it out yourself before buying still stands as the only assured way of being confident in buying.
I have seen and tried many D800's but never have seen a focusing problem.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

G