Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800E sports action fashion

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 12:26 AM | edited Mon 15-Oct-12 08:42 AM by Hawk Eyes

Hi, Here is another sports fashion photo shoot I did with the D800E for Body Glove, Joe Bark surf boards, and Smash Athletica with Donny Young who is world champion and #1 ranked beach tennis player in the US. Just can't say enough how awesome this camera is to use for editorial fashion and action sports work. This camera does it all for me.

1. Ad promo Beach tennis: shot Raw: camera center hand held, strobe low right with small 20-spread grid, key light strobe high left with beauty dish and soft box silk over dish. Einstein strobes were set to action which act like a speed light with much more power. Shot at Af-c, f11, 1/250, ISO 200. I was seated hand held with camera center and had the subject two step run then jump straight up above the 5-ft. net. This is one shot, so timing was crucial.

2. Ad promo for Body Glove and Joe Bark: shot Raw: camera center hand held, key light beauty dish directly behind me with soft box silk cover, strobe left with reflector feathered towards rock and subject towards the ocean. Shot at Af-c, F16, 1/250, ISO 200, standing center

Post for all shots was done in light room 4 converted to Jpg.
Thanks Pete

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

dennishhh

Boston, US
13 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

dennishhh Registered since 22nd Sep 2012
Sun 14-Oct-12 10:46 PM

Very nice!! Love the light and perspective. Strobes are a great help with hand holding the D800. Did you do any without strobes? Wondering how the sharpness compared.

sbpatel75

Chicago, US
55 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 1

sbpatel75 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007
Mon 15-Oct-12 01:43 AM

All I can say is WOW....a total eye-popping WOW!

sbp

sbp
www.flickr.com/photos/sbpatel75

I tend to clumsily march to the beat of my own off-rhythm drum.

My mom wishes I spent my money on girlie things like dresses, shoes, jewelry, and purses. I'd rather focus on glass.

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 15-Oct-12 03:12 AM | edited Mon 15-Oct-12 03:13 AM by Hawk Eyes

Thank you for the compliments, for this shoot I used only strobes. If you look at some of my older posts on here you can see some natural light action photos from the D800E.
Thanks Pete

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 3

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:34 AM

Outstanding!

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31324 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:37 AM

Hi Pete,

Outstanding images.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:47 AM

Fabulous pictures, gorgeous models. Too bad I’m straight (just kidding, of course).

I have two questions. I hope you don’t mind:

1. Is the clearly tilted horizon in #1 an intentional effect, to enhance drama?
2. What kind of kayak is it in #2? I can’t see how the user can sit in it. And is the paddle single-ended?

Best regards, Antero

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 15-Oct-12 06:51 AM

Thank you guys for the kind words, Yes the horizon in #1 was a intentional effect.
The funny thing is if you look in the lower right corner there are two SUP riders in the water paddling out. In Photo #2 that is a stand up paddle board, or called a SUP....good times Thanks Pete

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
3822 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:42 PM

Wow! What amazing shots. The use of light just made your photographs pop. Clearly you are a professional!

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Wed 17-Oct-12 12:08 AM | edited Wed 17-Oct-12 12:09 AM by KnightPhoto

I always marvel at your work Pete and this is no exception!

Are your lights on full manual or are you also folding CLS or pocket wizards in too?

For myself I wonder if I could get any patient subjects while I lit and re-lit to get it right. I'm guessing it doesn't take you too many tries and you are good to go. Plus clearly you are working fast, for example to get the right lighting for shot #1 you have to be quick.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Wed 17-Oct-12 12:18 AM

Really nice photos. BEAUTIFUL. I wish I had your skills.
Reza
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#11. "RE: Nikon D800E sports action fashion" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 17-Oct-12 03:58 AM | edited Wed 17-Oct-12 04:07 AM by Hawk Eyes

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the positive feedback. You all have great photos as well. As far as my strobes go, yes, I shoot them manually and use the CyberSync CST Transmitter and Transceivers to shoot wirelessly and adjust them as needed. The
Einsteins I use are very easy to adjust power up and down.

I shoot a little bit unconventionally compared to a lot of photographers, as I shoot by eye more now, and don't meter and use the histogram as much anymore (but I used to all the time when I first started).

It is funny the numbers and meta data are still there; I just do not look at them to get the shot anymore. IMO, and the photographers I look up to the most, our opinion is once you have a good grasp on how to use Aperture / Shutter /ISO and the functions of the camera you are shooting, you get a sense of how a photo will turn out after a couple test shots and looking at the LCD and in post on your computer over and over.

I think we all have the talent to take great photos, we just need to be patient and open our minds to learn from everyone

G