Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
pat23tiw

US
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pat23tiw Registered since 16th Aug 2012
Sun 14-Oct-12 09:00 PM

I want to buy the nikon 800 after reading about the af problems I have waited a few months. Are people still experiencing the same problem in October?

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 0

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Sun 14-Oct-12 08:12 PM | edited Tue 16-Oct-12 07:26 PM by SirPuttsAlot

*** EDIT ****

So I decided to test mine officially, yup, got the Left AF Problem. A tear ran down my face Crutchfield is exchanging the camera for me now.

I have to be honest, I shot an entire wedding over the weekend and never noticed a single shot out of focus, so even if the next one is bad, I probably just won't care.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ldkleidon

Westminster, US
38 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 0

ldkleidon Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2004
Sun 14-Oct-12 09:15 PM

Lee K.
Westminster,CO

I've also been waiting. I received my D800 on 9/21/12 from B&H. I was a bit apprehensive given all the negative reviews but, this is one very, very impressive camera.
After an elk watching trip to Rocky Mtn Natl. Park, I spent some considerable time doing some tests with "LensAlign" and a 36" machinists rule at about 6' with my 28-70 AFS. I can't see any difference between right, center, or left with any of my lenses outdoors. I haven't done any lens fine tuning and probably won't with most of them. It's that good out of the box.
I would recommend a high quality tripod and a solid ballhead.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Mon 15-Oct-12 07:25 PM | edited Tue 16-Oct-12 05:14 AM by km6xz

When you go to your dealer, try it, I am sure they will let you test it with a few simple shots to verify it is up to your standards. Nikon sets the price so it is the same at local mom and pop stores as the big on-line stores so you have an incentive to use your own community supporting store.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RiverWader

Gardner, US
80 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 0

RiverWader Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 14th May 2010
Mon 15-Oct-12 10:59 PM

Got mine from a local shop on 9/10 and it works great. Like's already been said, it's pretty easy to check so just try it at the dealers before buying.

-Pat

smtyoda

Ithaca, US
39 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 0

smtyoda Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2010
Mon 15-Oct-12 11:44 PM

I received my D800 in late September and do not have the issue. I do notice that mirror lock-up can make a significant difference. This may play a role with some people reporting differences in sharpness between live view and autofocus (presumably without MLU) and attributing this to focus issues. For me, I am finding the camera even more incredible than I expected and it rewards good technique (a great incentive when you see what the camera is capable of).

Shawn

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
3818 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 1

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Tue 16-Oct-12 07:10 PM

I received mine in July and everything was working well.

SirPuttsAlot

Poughquag, US
354 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon 800 af problem" | In response to Reply # 1

SirPuttsAlot Registered since 26th Sep 2011
Mon 22-Oct-12 09:02 AM

So my first unit which I purchased in Sept, SN 303XXXX had the left AF issue. Crutchfield replaced the camera with SN305XXXX and it's perfect. I'm a happy guy.

G