Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands

redswept

US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
redswept Registered since 30th Sep 2012
Sun 14-Oct-12 07:46 PM

We just finished a week in the BVI shooting with a Nikon D800 - watch the video below.

http://youtu.be/L2HXlcgfwKc?hd=1

For the lenses we used the Nikkor 24mm/1.4 and 85mm/1.8 primes, so it was helpful with the D800's ability to record in both FX and DX format. For stabilization we used a Glidecam HD2000. The underwater shots were taken with a GoPro and RX100 (which unfortunately got fried due to a leaky underwater housing).

Anyways, hope you enjoy watching the video as much as we did making it. Leave a comment, thanks!

McDermott

Landenberg, US
2 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

McDermott Registered since 06th Jun 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 12:21 AM

WOW, this is amazing!!! Awesome job on the video, takes me back. We honeymooned in St. John, and did many day trip excursions in BVI.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#2. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 15-Oct-12 02:45 AM

Beautiful!

It's clear you are an extremely skilled videographer and I'm amazed what can be done with a D800.

Would you mind sharing how you got the beautiful motion video of the Milky Way?

I have just started getting into daytime timelapse. I have a faint clue of the mechanics of that night shot, but I am stuck on a very basic question: how did you get the Milky Way so clear and detailed?

Wen I shoot stills of it, they come out mostly noise. Yours looks like NASA shot it.

I shoot stills with a 14-24 at 14 mm and 2.8 for about 30 seconds, They don't look quite as good as my d700 did with the same settings. But I'm not anywhere close in stills with neither camera as you are with video.

I'd be grateful if you would help me learn that shot.

Thank you.

John

redswept

US
6 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 15-Oct-12 03:22 AM

Thanks for the comments. The milky way shot wasn't all that complicated - I pointed the camera upwards and shot at f/1.4, 8 seconds, 1600 ISO (with the 24mm f/1.4G lens). Technically, that should be quite similar to your settings at f/2.8 at 30s, 1600 ISO. I stabilized on a gorillapod that I brought in my backpack.

The real key to shooting a nice milky way is location and timing. Find a clear and dark sky away from city lights. This shot is looking at the galactic center, where it's brightest - it helps if you know a few constellations (I use Scorpius). I'm not sure where you live, but the galactic center of the milky way becomes more visible the further South you go. In the Northern Hemisphere, you can only ever see about half the Milky Way. I like to play with this online star tool http://www.astroviewer.com/ to find out what the night sky might look like.

Focus is tough, but I find contrast-detection on distant lights works. I added a bit of post processing, but the image is pretty much out of the camera.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Hawk Eyes

US
167 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 3

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 03:39 AM

Excellent red, one of the best D800 videos out. This really shows the great capability of the D800 for video. Very nice post production !

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:31 AM

Truly outstanding video!

I noticed a couple of segues you could have used - going down the pier, next shot underwater, next shot on a boat in the harbor - maybe included someone walking out of the water on to the beach just before the beach shots.

It's easier to critique than do it though, and it was outstanding.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Mon 15-Oct-12 10:36 AM

Nice stuff. I just got back from a trip to the Caribbean and this video makes me want to go right back.

I watched your other video "Afterglow" - good stuff as well.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 6

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Mon 15-Oct-12 12:11 PM

Great video. Been there many times my daughter was married there in 1991.

meadowlark2

Lethbridge, CA
4024 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

meadowlark2 Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Fellow Ribbon awarded for her continuous encouragement and meaningful comments in the spirit of Nikonians. Donor Ribbon awarded for her generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2012
Mon 15-Oct-12 05:30 PM

Cool video. Loved the fast pace music and the changes in scene. Too bad about your underwater camera housing. Our family had 2 cameras that died under water. Great production. Quality of the picture was very good. Thanks for sharing.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 3

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Tue 16-Oct-12 03:24 AM | edited Tue 16-Oct-12 03:27 AM by johno

Thanks. Maybe I am not at a dark enough site. However, I notice one of your beautiful Milky Way shots shows a glowing city on the horizon.

Here's a shot I got with a d700 a long way from any city. I have yet to see a shot from my d800 as good as this. It is far short of your video quality. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

osthus.us/currentriversky_TRI5619.jpg

Are you using time lapse, and if so what is your interval?

Finally, you have inspired me to get an hd2000, but I have read it has a steep learning curve. Did you find that too?

Thanks again,

redswept

US
6 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 16-Oct-12 03:41 AM

I've gotten shots like this and I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Your exposure settings seem fine based on image metadata at 3200 ISO, 15s. I'd imagine you need to find a place with less light pollution - yes there was a distant city in my picture, but that was a pretty small tropical city on an island. And I was on what was basically a deserted island with minimal backlight and (very) clear skies due to the location. I hear people get good shots in the desert as well like Nevada. Further, you might be shooting the tail of the Milky Way galaxy here although I can't tell from the shot. Make sure you're getting the galactic center - I remember getting a shot similar to yours when I hadn't aimed the camera in the right direction even while in the BVI.

As for the Glidecam, I find the Glidecam HD-2000 works and some people even use the HD-4000.

FutureLook

Miami, US
598 posts

#11. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2003
Tue 16-Oct-12 09:40 AM

This is an outstanding video with excellent editing to keep the viewer focused and avoiding disconnect becasue of tedious long cuts. The quality is superb and IQ is super. It is amazing to see this camera in action when handled by someone that really knows his work. I felt that I was there and this is what separates this video from many others. You made me realize again, how much I have to learn to use this superb camera in a much more creative manner.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#12. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 11

fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Tue 16-Oct-12 12:07 PM

EXCELLENT !!!! Love the soundtrack, who is the artist?

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

#13. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

Devek Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2012
Thu 18-Oct-12 02:15 AM

Loved it! Beautiful editing.

Crisp images... Well done.

---
D800, D7000

My Website: www.DevekMaga.com

victoria_photoguy

Victoria, CA
35 posts

#14. "RE: Nikon D800 in the British Virgin Islands" | In response to Reply # 0

victoria_photoguy Registered since 03rd May 2010
Sun 21-Oct-12 01:28 PM

Impressive and inspirational. As someone learning about video and editing I draw a lot of ideas and inspiration from your video. Thanks for posting and the information you've shared.

G