Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Mon 18-Jun-12 08:41 AM

I have a Photix pluto (I think) type wireless remote but I am bothered by the cord that you attach to it and sometimes it gets misplaced.

Has anyone seen something that can be screwed in to the camera body without the flimsy receiver? I've seen one of the Japanese catalog which screws in to the socket and it is the size of a M&M candy. It uses the camera battery and comes in with a remote trigger.

I might have to do some research but do you guys have a better gadget? I don't like the Photix since you can't mount it on the flash hotshoe if you already have a flash mounted on the camera.

Regards,

Glenn

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#1. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 18-Jun-12 10:20 AM

I have and use the Phottix Strata II Multi ($100). It works great for me and has a hot shoe on top of the receiver to mount your TTL flash. There are a few other manufacturers out there however so listen to the other forum folks who post and make your decision. I am very happy with the Strata II build and functionality.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bokeh888

South Florida, US
92 posts

#2. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011
Mon 18-Jun-12 10:36 AM

RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR with MC30 Type connection. This is a real find and works perfectly with the D800. All the best. Good luck.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#3. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Mon 18-Jun-12 10:53 AM

>RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR with
>MC30 Type connection. This is a real find and works perfectly
>with the D800. All the best. Good luck.

The Velvon Twin1 R4N was the one I had in mind but apparently it drains the battery a lot faster even if the camera is off (according to some users).

http://www.velbon.com/jp/catalog/digital/twin1r4n.html

The RFN-4s looks like a good candidate.

Regards,

Glenn

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#4. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 3

Unavailable Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 18-Jun-12 12:43 PM

Although not a common choice, I have used Paul C. Buff CyberSync (Alien Bees/Einstein) remotes for years. Cheap and reliable with good battery life.

Note: They are limited to remote activation only - no button halfway down to focus.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/cst.php

--

Craig

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#5. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 18-Jun-12 07:24 PM

>Although not a common choice, I have used Paul C. Buff
>CyberSync (Alien Bees/Einstein) remotes for years. Cheap and
>reliable with good battery life.

>http://www.paulcbuff.com/cst.php

Thanks for your input Craig. I'm not familiar with strobe remote triggering device but I'm assuming that you need a receiver and a transmitter, correct?

Regards,

Glenn

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#6. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 18-Jun-12 08:34 PM | edited Mon 18-Jun-12 08:37 PM by Unavailable

Many systems have combined transmitters and receivers. That lets you support different configurations assuming you have enough of them. You need at least two for simple camera triggering. The downside of combined transmitters and receivers:
1) Higher cost
2) Larger devices
3) More @#$%^&* switches to set

CyberSync has various combinations of receivers and transmitters for cameras, studio lights and speedlights (both automatic and manual). Transmitters are very small and the battery lasts for years. Receivers are slightly larger and can trigger flashes or a D800. Range is more than 100 hundred feet.

I bought 2 transmitters and 4 CyberSync receivers for the same price as 1 PocketWizard.

--

Craig

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#7. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 2

Testing123 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Mon 18-Jun-12 09:45 PM

>RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR with
>MC30 Type connection. This is a real find and works perfectly
>with the D800. All the best. Good luck.

I saw the OP's message earlier this morning and was going to suggest the RFN-4s. I checked Amazon for the page and opps, no joy (page doesn't show up). In fact, I had to search Google to get the URL of the Amazon page, which is:
http://www.amazon.com/RFN-4s-Wireless-Shutter-Release-connection/dp/B005PCDSBQ

Note that it says:

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

So, is this a stock issue, an item ‘refresh’ type of scenario or…?

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#8. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 19-Jun-12 07:14 PM

Hi Glenn,

While they are not inexpensive the Pocket Wizard Plus III's are extremely reliable and it can be mounted in the hotshoe if you want.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#10. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 8

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Tue 19-Jun-12 09:58 PM

+1 for PW Plus IIIs.

If you want superb reliability AND versatility, these have to be the #1 choice. I have three, in addition to a couple of older Plus IIs.

In case you don't realise, the Plus IIIs transmit the dual-level button function so, if you want to, you can initiate autofocus separately from the shutter release. Plus IIIs have two-level "Test" buttons with very distinct pressure differences between the two levels.

All Plus IIIs can be used in either transmitter mode or receiver mode, together with additional mode options.

Pete

Bokeh888

South Florida, US
92 posts

#11. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 7

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011
Tue 19-Jun-12 11:07 PM

>>RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR
>with
>>MC30 Type connection. This is a real find and works
>perfectly
>>with the D800. All the best. Good luck.
>
>I saw the OP's message earlier this morning and was going to
>suggest the RFN-4s. I checked Amazon for the page and opps, no
>joy (page doesn't show up). In fact, I had to search Google to
>get the URL of the Amazon page, which is:
>http://www.amazon.com/RFN-4s-Wireless-Shutter-Release-connection/dp/B005PCDSBQ
>
>Note that it says:
>
>"Currently unavailable.
>We don't know when or if this item will be back in
>stock."

I purchased mine on Amazon and it works perfectly with the D800E. IMO just Google the product and pick it up somewhere else. I really think it is an excellent remote shutter release and extremely pleased with it. Good luck.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#12. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 20-Jun-12 09:31 AM

>IMO just Google the product and pick it up somewhere else.

I've already tried that. Can't seem to find it at any reputable site (even checked ebay).

Something seems to be going on with this remote. I'm not saying it isn't a good product or that it doesn't work. I'm merely stating that at this time, it doesn't seem to be available for purchase.

Oh, and I couldn't seem to locate the company's website (SMDV - I believe it's a Korean company) as I had in the past.

Benkoop

Amsterdam, NL
122 posts

#13. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Benkoop Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2009
Wed 20-Jun-12 06:09 PM

>IMO just Google the product and pick it up somewhere else.

>>I've already tried that. Can't seem to find it at any reputable site >>(even checked ebay).

I mailed customer services of the producing company at http://www.smdv.co.kr/en/
and asked where I could get the RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon DSLR in Europe,
and I received a very friendly email with the name of this webshop in Germany:
http://www.meinfoto.com/Suche/rfn_4s.htm?VL=rfn%204s
Well, it works like a charm on my 800E!

Wim

Testing123

Southern California, US
64 posts

#14. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 13

Thu 21-Jun-12 02:30 AM

>I mailed customer services of the producing company at
>http://www.smdv.co.kr/en/

Thanks for this! I'll email them and see if I can get a handle on a U.S. point of sale.

Thanks,
Allen

SoCal Dave

Marina del Rey, US
290 posts

#15. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 14

SoCal Dave Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 21-Jun-12 03:33 PM

Another vote here for the RFN-4s!!! Love it - no cords/no hot shoe.

See also this prior thread looking at many options...
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=5296&prev_page=show_topic&gid=5296#7675

"Content is King"
www.davidvoss.500px.com

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#16. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 15

Thu 21-Jun-12 03:45 PM | edited Thu 21-Jun-12 03:50 PM by Unavailable

The RFN-4 looks good.

I got similar devices off eBay a while back. The problem was not the devices themselves - they still work. After I got deeper into off-camera-flash, I found that could not expand to multiple tirggers. Not because the devices didn't support this configuration. They were no longer available just when I wanted to buy more.

This is one advantage of Pocket Wizards. They will likely still be around in two years.

BTW: Even knowing this, I still don't own PWs. A bit too pricey for me, all things considered. But also a nice product.

--

Craig

scott69

Yachats, US
2 posts

#17. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 11

scott69 Registered since 31st Mar 2007
Sun 15-Jul-12 02:23 AM

I have had a RFN-4s for several months and have noticed a problem on the D800 when shooting in BKT mode. It isn't consistent and locks up the camera requiring a full power down of the remote unit to clear. My experience suggests the problem is easier to reproduce when the number of bracket shots is a higher number like 5 or 7 instead of 3. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else can reproduce this issue.

Shooting single images has been fine and battery life on the remote has been excellent.

yunjo

Portland, US
75 posts

#18. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

yunjo Registered since 06th Jul 2008
Sun 15-Jul-12 04:10 AM | edited Sun 15-Jul-12 04:39 AM by yunjo

I'll second the RFN-4s. After going through 3 different wire remotes (including the MC-36), I decided to go wireless and came across the RFN-4 on Amazon and must say it has worked flawlessly thus far on my D800E. I haven't had the bracketing lock up issue the other poster mentioned. Had it for about a month and so far, so good. Definitely recommended.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#19. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 18

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Sun 15-Jul-12 01:28 PM

I use my old Nikon ML-3
It has a trigger setting I find useful.
If you are cheap, you can get the YongNuo ML-3a knockoff.
It has the advantage of a separate battery in the receiver.

scott69

Yachats, US
2 posts

#20. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 18

scott69 Registered since 31st Mar 2007
Mon 30-Jul-12 04:24 AM

Took deliver on a second D800 and have configured it exactly the same as my first unit. Both cameras lock up when shooting in BKT mode using either CL or CH shooting options. Cameras work fine with a wired trigger. I carefully compared all menu settings on both cameras and are exactly the same. Firmware updates are current. There is a problem here. When I hold the remote button down in CL or CH mode, at the end of the series, all the remote trigger LEDs are on and the camera is non-responsive. Pressing the on-off button on the remote trigger twice powers off the remote unit and returns the camera to normal operation.

Gromit44

UK
730 posts

#21. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 20

Gromit44 Registered since 04th Jan 2012
Sat 20-Oct-12 02:25 PM | edited Sat 20-Oct-12 02:28 PM by Gromit44

>Both cameras lock up when shooting in BKT mode using either CL or CH shooting options.

Scott: does it work in BKT mode using the S option (as opposed to CL or CH)?

i.e. with the D800 in S mode, what happens if you press the RFN-4s shutter button once for each shot in the bracketed sequence?

mmm55

Bloomsburg, US
176 posts

#22. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

mmm55 Registered since 19th Mar 2009
Sat 20-Oct-12 04:59 PM

I used to use a Phottix Plato on my D700 until I put the batteries in the receiver backwards (in the dark) and melted it (smelled great!).

Now I use a Vivitar VIV-RC-200-D300. It's cheap and it works great. I don't know for sure, but I assume it will work with the D800 too. If you want to send me your D800 for a few weeks, I'd be happy to test it for you!

SRFast

New York City, US
1522 posts

#23. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 22

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004
Sat 20-Oct-12 05:58 PM

I use the Nikon ML-3 IF remote also. It isn't cheap new, but it can be had used for approx. $125. That's how I got mine.

Regards...JL

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

#24. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 23

avisys Basic Member
Sat 20-Oct-12 09:16 PM

Pardon me . . .

We have a $3,000US camera, with probably $6,000 in lenses and stuff, and we are agonizing over $100 to $200 for a wireless remote?

If we have watched the history of various cheap Korean accessories, we should realize that each time we succumb to the siren call of saving some bucks we also take a risk that the product is not up to snuff, doesn't really perform as suggested, or simply breaks.

How many messages do we have here about CF and SD cards of strange brands that simply did not work?

Why bother???

For a D80, OK. For a D90, maybe. But not for a D800 or D4 or . . .

AviSys

blw

Richmond, US
28552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#25. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 23

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 21-Oct-12 12:53 PM

> Nikon ML-3 IF remote

These work well, within their design criteria. And they are expen$ive. I too bought mine used. My issues with the ML-3 are:

1) it's an IR remote, so doesn't work that well in bright daylight or at a distance. Yes, it's fine from three feet in brilliant sun, but from eight feet, not so much. It still works, just not 100% reliably. Fine for macro work where I'm holding a diffuser and can press the button a couple of times. In the equestrian ring where I'm 45 feet away and holding a monopod with another camera, it's a complete non-starter.

2) It seems to use the same IR channels as the iTTL flash. Once I was shooting in a flower conservatory with a buddy, and amazingly enough my flash triggered his camera (or perhaps his ML-3 triggered my flash, I can't remember which). At first we thought it was a coincidence, but some controlled experiments demonstrated that no, they do cross-interfere. I think the resolution was to switch the iTTL to a different channel. I don't want to over-emphasize this as you have to be in pretty deep and probably have two rigs running in parallel to have the problem - but the problem does exist.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw

Richmond, US
28552 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#26. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 24

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 21-Oct-12 01:10 PM

> We have a $3,000US camera, with probably $6,000 in lenses and stuff, and we are agonizing over $100 to $200 for a wireless remote?

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I have a Hahnel Combi TF remote (B&H\'s listing here). It's $90. It served my purpose when it arrived. It has 100m range, it's RF so it is immune to ambient light problems. It isn't too expensive. But I've had it for several years now and I find that it's lacking in several ways. First, both components (transmitter and receiver) have batteries. No big deal, but there is also no way to turn off the transmitter - there's a big round button, and if you press it, it transmits. No problem while it's on a lanyard around my neck, but a big problem in my camera bags. It uses some relatively odd batteries - I keep a spare in the bag and a picture in my phone because I've had to buy them a couple of times unexpectedly, inevitably far from a big city where they might be easily found. The receiver has an off switch, but it is apparently not so hard to have it depressed in the camera bag too. I would have thought that it would be easier to protect than the transmitter, but operationally this is not the case. (Fortunately, because it is self-powered, it does not drain the host camera battery.) The receiver takes CR2 batteries, which I have discovered aren't particularly inexpensive ($9). Did I mention that the transmitter requires a very small screwdriver to access the battery compartment? At first this was no problem - I'm a model railroader and own hot and cold running tiny tools. But as it happens I don't carry them into the wilds on a night photo shoot, so a couple of weeks ago when the transmitter battery turned up dead, I had to scramble to find a tiny screwdriver just to change the battery that I already had in the bag. To add insult to injury, I've been protecting both parts with plastic boxes - this makes them much larger than they should be, but has the advantage of pretty much guaranteeing that they don't eat the batteries by accident. The tiny screwdriver also requires its own little case in my TT Cable Management 10... Between the boxes, the screwdriver, the extra batteries, etc, and the backup MC-30 that I have to carry, it's taking up a large part of the CM10.

But now I discover that the transmitter is becoming unreliable.

I'll limp along for a bit, but I'm saving my pennies for Pocket Wizards. I'm sick of the endless litany of little problems. I want to know bloody well that when I reach in there to use it, it's gonna work. The fact that they also work with iTTL flash is of course a factor too, but the main thing is that I need a RF remote for the equestrian stuff and I need a remote in general for tripod based work.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

SoCal Dave

Marina del Rey, US
290 posts

#27. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 25

SoCal Dave Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 21-Oct-12 07:15 PM

Agreed completely on point #1! So frustrating trying to constantly rearrange the receiver end in the hopes the darn thing would actually click when I asked it to. RF is much superior. Can't understand Nikon has stayed with the now antique ML- 3

"Content is King"
www.davidvoss.500px.com

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#28. "RE: Looking for a better wireless remote for the D800" | In response to Reply # 27

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Mon 22-Oct-12 01:31 AM

Can't understand Nikon has stayed with the now
>antique ML- 3 <Quote<<<

1. Mine still works after 10 years.
2. It can be used as to trigger your camera or flash
when anything blocks the beam between the sender and receiver.

G