Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D600 later this year?

comicalalien

AU
86 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
comicalalien Registered since 05th Sep 2009
Thu 10-May-12 05:23 PM

I read on PhotoRumors.com that there is talk of an entry level Nikon FX DSLR called the D600! A cheap FX DSLR!

Supposedly, to have a 24MP sensor and be built like the D5100 (non weatherproof, plasticy, lightweight, no AF motor in body, etc).

I am no expert in predicting Nikon DSLR releases so....

What do you guys and gals think of the possibility of such a camera?

comicalalien

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2339 posts

#1. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Thu 10-May-12 03:36 PM

Nikon Rumors is reporting the same thing.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

blw

Richmond, US
28709 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Thu 10-May-12 03:37 PM

NikonRumors and PhotoRumors are the same site, run by the same individual, so it's no surprised that they agree!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

kiu

Pleasanton, US
73 posts

#3. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

kiu Registered since 09th May 2012
Thu 10-May-12 03:43 PM

An entry level FX body would give people more choices in deciding which new Nikon FX body model to purchase. A great thing to have choices.

My nit with the D600 if it's true is the lack of the AF motor in the body. For this reason alone I wouldn't purchase it because my favorite portrait lens AF wouldn't work on it.

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2339 posts

#4. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 2

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Thu 10-May-12 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info Brian. Did not know that.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

H3Tex

US
41 posts

#5. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 3

H3Tex Registered since 08th May 2012
Thu 10-May-12 04:34 PM

More people getting into FX could mean more FX lens choices in the future. That could be good. As long as Nikon does not spend all their time with entry level FX lenses. Rumor also has it that Nikon is working on a new 24-70 to release with this camera. Too bad its a 3.5/5.6.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#6. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 5

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Fri 11-May-12 12:08 AM

>...Too bad its a 3.5/5.6.

I think a 24-70 patent has been published that predicts f/3.5-4.5 which in my books is a much better all around lens (well 2/3 of a stop better anyways )

Regarding the D600 camera, I think it would be a good thing for Nikon Corp and for us Nikon shooters in terms of choices. And it makes sense to go with the various f1.8 primes. To me it also makes sense NOT to have a screwdriver focus motor in order to differentiate it from the D800.

The D600 makes a great FujiFilm X-1 Pro competitor too - e.g. an FX D7000 paired with the new 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 would be a cool compact kit. Not to mention the presence of some f/3.5-4.5 and f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens patents.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#7. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 6

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Fri 11-May-12 12:13 AM | edited Fri 11-May-12 12:14 AM by mrpenguin

I can just imagine how many new wedding photographers there would be all of a sudden because now they own a "Professional FX" camera ....lol

If this is a D7000 replacement I would gladly buy the D600, but there is NO WAY I would buy a camera with no AF motor !!

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#8. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 7

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 11-May-12 12:26 AM

Practically every new lens Nikon makes is AF-S.
I only have one Nikkor that does not, the 80-400.
It will probably be replaced when the long overdue update is released.
Most "entry level" buyers will not have any "old" glass.
This looks like an opportunity for Nikon to make more money on lens than on the camera.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#9. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 11-May-12 12:29 AM

Possibility is probably good, but I think it's a poor idea. Who is this camera going to be aimed at? The price sensitive buyer? That buyer doesn't want to stretch into a D700 for maybe $500 more, but is then going to turn around and buy a stable of FX glass? I don't think so.

People who are trying to save a few hundred bucks on a body are not the same people who are going to be stocking up on AF-S lenses. 70-200 is what.. $2300? Most of the small primes are north of $1k and some approaching $2k. But yet that buyer is looking at a "bargain" FX camera?

It will probably forgo the weatherproofing and ruggedness that make it worthwhile for pro users, so they'll probably skip it. I know I wouldn't buy it. I am a LOT more interested in a 24MP DX camera because at least it brings something new to the table and let's me take off the 1.4x.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#10. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 9

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Fri 11-May-12 12:35 AM | edited Fri 11-May-12 01:07 AM by ZoneV

I think it's more about Nikon betting that FX is the future for most SLRs. DX was only supposed to be a stop-gap when it came out. Before the D3 came out, Nikon argued for a while that DX was adequate, but that was because they just didn't have any full-frame DSLRs at that time, and had just discontinued most of their 35mm film SLR lineup (2006)...not because they didn't believe in full frame. It's getting really clear lately that Nikon believes strongly in full frame (and always has).

Remember the D70? Nikon was the first to break the $1500 barrier with a semi-pro DSLR. They now want to do it again by breaking the $2000 barrier with the first FX DSLR in that price bracket.

Remember, Nikon is foremost a camera company. They are forecasting a radical sales increase for this next business year. Read Thom Hogan's comments on his site from today for the exact numbers.

I don't see this camera preventing a DX D400 from coming about, either. If Nikon were to drop the D3x and the D300s and not replace either, but introduce a new D600, they would be down to 6 camera bodies in their lineup from the 7 they had prior. I don't see them reducing the number of SLRs they offer when their sales forecast is so radical for the next year. I think you'll get your D400 in due time.

Btw, if this thing basically uses the D3x sensor, it will be a winner in image quality. Personally, the SD cards and lack of AF motor ruin it for me (all my AF lenses are non-AFS, and some have heavy glass in them). I shoot for a weekly newspaper, and do all my sports assignments with a D1x (buffer upgraded) or D1H. I prefer them to the D200 because the AF is much faster (with non-AFS lenses at least). I shoot division 1 hockey through the glass with a first generation Nikon 80-200/2.8 AF on both of these bodies. As a student and freelance shooter, I don't have the upgrade budget that some shooters have. But even then, the newer D2-series and D3-series are slower in AF tracking with the heavier non-AFS glass. So I will keep using the D1-series as my primary sports bodies until I can afford an AF-S telephoto or two, which is not going to be anytime soon. I love the equipment I use though, most of the time. When used right, the images are tack sharp. And I rarely print larger than 11x14 for sports shots. When only a single body is needed, I generally use the D1x for outdoor daylight sports, and the D1H when the light is lower. The D1x does not have the motordrive speed of most cameras today, but it does not bother me. 3 fps has proven fast enough for almost any sport. Sometimes it feels a little slow for D1 hockey, but I mate it with a wideangle lens, so the puck doesn't leave the field of view as quickly. But even so, the reaction time (shutter lag and blackout time) is so fast--faster than the D200--that the camera is basically an extension of my reflexes on the very first shot. Thing is, I am not a burst shooter, instead relying on my index finger most of the time to take shots in succession. And I think 5 fps for three consecutive shots is about the fastest that my finger is capable of anyway. I do admit that the D1x is a bit slower than the D1H is on that second consecutive click.

Check out my polls on this very topic (D400/D600, etc.) if you haven't yet: https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=81337&mesg_id=81337&page=
and
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=149&topic_id=185083&mesg_id=185083&page=

Nikon user since 2000

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#11. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 9

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Fri 11-May-12 12:52 AM | edited Fri 11-May-12 12:58 AM by RRRoger

Quote Perrone> That buyer doesn't want to stretch into a D700 for maybe $500 more, but is then going to turn around and buy a
>stable of FX glass? I don't think so.Quote<<<

RRRoger: I think Nikon wishes they would buy a stable full of cheap glass, get a taste of NAS and then upgrade to better body and lens.
>
Quote Perrone> I am a LOT more interested in a 24MP DX camera
because at least it brings something new to the table and let's me take off the 1.4x.<Quote<<

RRRoger: I am not hard on my equipment. I do not want or need a tank.
I will get two D600s at $1500 each, if they are smaller, lighter, and still "good enough" for Events.
No, I do not want a D3200. If I could handle something that small I would probably treat it like a disposable camera.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#12. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 11

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Fri 11-May-12 01:06 AM

>Quote Perrone> That buyer doesn't want to stretch into a
>D700 for maybe $500 more, but is then going to turn around and
>buy a
>>stable of FX glass? I don't think so.Quote<<<
>
>RRRoger: I think Nikon wishes they would buy a stable full of
>cheap glass, get a taste of NAS and then upgrade to better
>body and lens.

Then drop the price of the D700 to $1999 and save all the costs of retooling. That sensor is HIGHLY regarded professionally, and would a terrific entry camera for many users.

Have we seen a 24MP FX sensor around? I know we've seen it in DX in the Sony for some time now. Wouldn't it make MUCH more sense for Nikon to not tool up on a new body and new sensor for a new, entry level camera that they are holding out as a carrot to get people to upgrade from?

>Quote Perrone> I am a LOT more interested in a 24MP DX
>camera
>because at least it brings something new to the table and
>let's me take off the 1.4x.<Quote<<
>
>RRRoger: I am not hard on my equipment. I do not want or need
>a tank.
>I will get two D600s at $1500 each, if they are smaller,
>lighter, and still "good enough" for Events.
>No, I do not want a D3200. If I could handle something that
>small I would probably treat it like a disposable camera.

So you think this camera will come in at the $1500 price point? And what does that do to the D7000 sales at just $400 less? Kinda blows it out of the water. Makes more sense to put a DX camera in that space and put the FX camera above it price wise. No?

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

#13. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 12

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2005
Fri 11-May-12 01:12 AM | edited Fri 11-May-12 01:13 AM by ZoneV

I don't know about Roger, but I'd guess $1800 at the lowest. Maybe $2000, even. The DX camera doesn't have to cost less than the entry-level FX one.

Nikon user since 2000

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#14. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 13

Fri 11-May-12 02:05 AM

>I don't know about Roger, but I'd guess $1800 at the lowest.
>Maybe $2000, even. The DX camera doesn't have to cost less
>than the entry-level FX one.

I agree, $1500 rumour sounds wrong to me. Surely they can't go that cheap at this point in time? $1999 introductory price dropping over time?

And yes a D400 might well cost more than a D600, not a problem. The people who are going to buy a D400 are going to buy a D400 for what it provides (reach, speed, and pro level features in a DX sensor).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

kartane

AU
163 posts

#15. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 9

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Fri 11-May-12 04:39 AM

First time DSLR buyers are normally price sensitive. A lot will buy the cheaper FX D600 with just one lens to 'try it out'. Most people will read 'can use most Nikon lens' and wont understand AF-S are better for their camera. And they don't look at the price of their 2nd, 3rd lens purchase when trying out a camera/format to see if they like it.

Look at the ravings from people buying the 24megapixel D3200 as their first DSLR.

The more people buy Nikon cameras the better for all of us. Forget their reasons: first timer, 2nd body, upgrade from DX or older FX, 24megapixels etc.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

kimmo

NO
5 posts

#16. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 15

kimmo Registered since 15th Mar 2012
Fri 11-May-12 05:23 AM

I would be very interested in a camera like that, upgrading my D80, and it would make me buy a set of the 1.8 primes. That might also persuade me to get the Nikon 1 as a compact system, with an adapter for the lenses. The lack of AF motor wouldn't mean much to me.

I think it would be great for those of us who are not willing or able to invest heavily in gear, but uses cameras for events and reportage in our work without being pros.

The most important part of it for me would be ISO performance.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#17. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Fri 11-May-12 11:12 AM

The lack of an AF motor would be a problem for me, I only have one AF-s full frame lenses. If the D600 has controls similar to the D7000 then I would miss the AF-on button, a wired cable release and less than 100% coverage in the viewfinder. I'm not fond of the IR release. However I think the D600 is something Nikon needs to do as a company. I'm hoping for a D400 even if it costs more than a D600.

Randy

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#18. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 12

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Fri 11-May-12 11:22 AM

Nikon can't just drop the price of a D700 and make it the entry level FX camera. For the 'entry level FX' strategy to work it has to be made somewhere other than Sendai, with greater automation and lower tolerances. There is no doubt at all that they need to retool and retrain, so they may as well add some features that make it even more attractive. I've also noticed that with technology advances it becomes expensive to buy the older parts - once a supplier is mass producing higher-end components for the market it becomes cost prohibitive to ask for small numbers (comparatively speaking) of less commonly used components. The D700 is also full of expensive stuff like magnesium-alloy. The profit margin on Nikon cameras is too low to just reposition most of them at lower price points.

I don't doubt that Nikon needs to replace the D700, and that the demand for the D800 is such that they know that they need an FX camera manufactured in one of their other facilities. The D600 seems plausible, and it's also quite possible that Nikon are seeding the rumors in order to help back off some of the consumer demand for higher-end FX cameras. If that's the case, the lack of focus motor makes sense - if you need to go from older FX glass give Nikon the cash for a D800. If you only need FX and a few lenses, buy the D600. Remember, there's more profit for Nikon in lens sales, so they would rather you buy a cheaper body and the latest lenses that you want than a D800 and have to buy older used lenses.

I'm of the opinion that there are a lot of (ahem) older camera aficionados out there with a desire to get back to the frame size and lens behavior that they were familiar with with their old film cameras. They don't necessarily want to use the couple of old lenses they had and also don't want to buy the pro zoom trinity plus a bunch of fast primes. They would like an acceptable quality holiday super zoom, and a couple of relatively inexpensive 1.8 primes for their creative moments. If they shoot Nikon DX they may already have some of the lenses they want since the DX lens range is so poor.

Nikon stands to do well with such a camera. I think it will be like the iPad - the market watchers don't see where it fits and yet it's going to do great business anyway.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

parallaxphotos

US
43 posts

#19. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 12

parallaxphotos Registered since 07th May 2012
Fri 11-May-12 12:13 PM

>
>Then drop the price of the D700 to $1999 and save all the
>costs of retooling. That sensor is HIGHLY regarded
>professionally, and would a terrific entry camera for many
>users.
>

Respectfully, their marketing department probably thinks there would be a lot of people who would not wish to buy a 4 year old design, no matter the quality. Chalk it up to "newer is better". Plus, I think video is essential - again, perhaps just for marketing purposes, but no video will probably make the camera a non-starter for too much of the market.

I think it could be legit. $1500 sounds low, but that's what we all thought before the D70 came in at its price point.

It sets up a nice good, better, best line up in both DX and FX

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#20. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 17

Fri 11-May-12 12:26 PM

Quote> I would miss the AF-on button,
>Randy<Quote<<<

It probably will not have an AF-ON button,
but the AE-L, AF-L button will be programmable.
So, it can have the same function.

With an AF-S lens it will AutoFocus faster than if it had an internal screwdriver motor and non AF-S lens mounted.

I am more concerned about ISO performance.
We do a lot of low light photography.
I need an acceptable picture at 12,800 ISO and a very good image at 6400.

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#21. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 20

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Fri 11-May-12 05:35 PM

It seems to me the AE-L, AF-L button is too far away to be comfortable to use, although I've never held a D7000 to compare it's position relative to that on a D300. Also moving back and forth between cameras with a button that serves the same function in different positions could be a problem.

Everyone has their needs and desires. I imagine mine are different than yours. It must be quite a challenge to design a product that meets most peoples needs at a price that people can afford.

Randy

kartane

AU
163 posts

#22. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 18

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Sat 12-May-12 10:17 AM

The D700 is fading fast. Nikon has stated the D700 production run is finished when current parts run out. The natural disasters meant that they made&sold less cameras than expected in the last year. It also delayed their whole product launch strategy by about 6 months.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#23. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 21

Sat 12-May-12 11:27 AM

Quote>It seems to me the AE-L, AF-L button is too far away to be
>comfortable to use
>Randy

The button is not too far for me.
The problem is that I have to reach across the multiselector.
If it is not lockable, the focus point is constantly changed.
This is the main reason I got rid of my D5100.

comicalalien

AU
86 posts

#24. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 0

comicalalien Registered since 05th Sep 2009
Mon 14-May-12 12:57 AM

Thanks for your opinions..but I have more to add to this post.

I have read from various sources that high resolution sensors outperform the lenses needed to resolve the resolution on these cameras.

Thus it seem one would need to buy the expensive nano-coated Nikon lenses to work with the D800 because of its 36MP sensor. (24mm f1.4 prime, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 VRII f2.8, 105mm VRII macro, etc...)

The proposed D600 with its anticipated 24MP sensor would not have the lines/mm resolution of the D800. Therefore, many of Nikon's non nano-coated lenses could be good enough for the sensor.

Such as all the AF-S f/1.8G prime lenses (28, 50, 85)and 24-120 VRII f4, 70-300 VRII f4-5.6G lenses that are mid-range in price.

Any thoughts...

Cheers,

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#25. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 24

Mon 14-May-12 01:16 AM | edited Mon 14-May-12 01:53 AM by RRRoger

>The proposed D600 with its anticipated 24MP sensor would not
>have the lines/mm resolution of the D800. Therefore, many of
>Nikon's non nano-coated lenses could be good enough for the
>sensor.
>
>Such as all the AF-S f/1.8G prime lenses (28, 50, 85)and
>24-120 VRII f4, 70-300 VRII f4-5.6G lenses that are mid-range
>in price.
>
>Any thoughts...
>
>Cheers,<Quote<<

The D800 High ISO performance and the great results with less than the best Pro Glass is something nobody seemed to expect.
We can and like to speculate about a D600,
we can read specifications all day long as they become available,
But until we get "Hands On" experience, we will not know how well the camera fills our individual needs..

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1169 posts

#26. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 24

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 14-May-12 01:28 AM

My only thought is that virtually every fear of this or that not being good enough for this camera has proven to be baseless. Supposedly, this camera was too good and too sensitive for amateurs. It would be disappointing if hand held. It wouldn't work well with "kit" or walk-around lenses. One author of books claimed that it wouldn't work with the 14-24/f2.8 even though that is considered on of Nikon's best lenses.

All wrong!

It is terrific with the 24-120/f4. I have seen lots of great shots taken hand held. Look at the thread and link to the photos of the Stanford Memorial Church. Those photos are fantastic and taken hand held in low light with the 14-24/f2.8 at 6400 ISO. Good grief!

I don't know what the D600 will do, but the only reason to wait for that camera is the reduced price, not some fear that other gear won't work with the camera.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4962 posts

#27. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 24

Mon 14-May-12 02:00 AM

I agree with Larry and Roger. A camera sensor is 1/2 of the imaging system.

The other 1/2 is the lens.

If you increase the ability of the camera sensor, the same lens resolves more detail. Yes we can caveat "as long as the lens was not already the limiting factor" but with most lenses that was not the case at image centre on 12mp.

The issue about extracting every last pixel out of the 36 (or 24mp) camera, by all means rock steady tripod, extreme focussing accuracy, remote shutter release, top-notch lens, non-diffraction limited aperture, optimum aperture, high shutter speed, all come in to play. But just taking the same lens and mounting it on a D800 and shooting it in the exact same conditions, aperture, handheld etc. is going to resolve better than it was on a D700 shot under these very same conditions because the sensor 1/2 of the equation has improved.

Anyhow the D800 and purported D600 both sound great to me

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

pqtrths

Roseville, CA, US
1017 posts

#28. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 22

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Mon 14-May-12 01:05 PM

> Colin wrote: The D700 is fading fast. Nikon has stated the D700 production run is finished when current parts run out. The natural disasters meant that they made and sold less cameras than expected in the last year. It also delayed their whole product launch strategy by about 6 months. <

Too bad. All the Nikon shooters I've spoken to rave about the D700. Means a person wanting a D700 will have to purchase used. Can the present D700 be re-tooled with a 16mp or larger, i.e., 20 to 24 mp sensor, for a purchase price less than a D800? May breathe new life into the D700.

Mp

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#29. "RE: Nikon D600 later this year?" | In response to Reply # 26

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Mon 14-May-12 04:00 PM

I ordered a D800 not having the lenses or ability to 'do it justice' and it will probably be a few months before I can afford one of the better new lenses and longer still before I have the requisite abilities. I will probably spend most of my time shooting it handheld using a collection of good but older lenses. I'm not looking to use it as a scientific instrument and maximize the sharpness I get from the sensor by using the very best prime lenses shot at between f/5.6 and f/8 to avoid border softness and diffraction. I'm going to use it as my day-to-day camera in almost all conditions, and 2,000 shots in, I'm loving it. It's the best camera I've had and it's inspiring me to not only shoot better composed and executed images but to spend more time analyzing their strengths and weaknesses after I have shot them.

The warnings are there to assuage the protestations of disappointed pixel-peepers from a support perspective. It'll still take a better picture with a middling lens than a lesser camera and reward an amateur who has the patience to learn to use it.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

G