Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 and D4 supply delays

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 17-Feb-12 07:11 AM

I haven't waded through all the posts to see if it's been noted, but if this has been posted, then moderators can you please remove.

I saw yesterday a Tech Radar report on the supply of the D4 and D800 manufactured at the Sendai factory in Japan.
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-reveals-d800-production-targets-1063413

In short the post states "According to a report which appeared on Bernama, Malaysia's National News Agency, Nikon is aiming to produce 30,000 units of the D800 per month, while it also revealed that it is hoping to produce 5,000 Nikon D4 units every month".

"Originally slated for a mid-February release, recent reports have suggested that the D4 could be delayed until the middle of March. Meanwhile, pre-orders for the D800 were frozen in the US leading to speculation that there could also be a delay on those too".

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#1. "RE: D800 and D4 supply delays" | In response to Reply # 0

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Fri 17-Feb-12 07:17 AM

Oh my, still better to have deposit down then (on each) thanks!

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#2. "RE: D800 and D4 supply delays" | In response to Reply # 1

Fri 17-Feb-12 07:28 AM

Rob. An enviable position indeed

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#3. "RE: D800 and D4 supply delays" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 17-Feb-12 10:31 AM

I have gone the other direction and cancelled my D4 order and will wait until I can play with both. There is a remote chance that the features of the D800e will overtake my desire for the D4. I am going back to the US in April than then to Scotland for a week in mid May, it sure would be nice to have one....or both by then. I had budgeted for the D4 but ???
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

#4. "RE: D800 and D4 supply delays" | In response to Reply # 3

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Fri 17-Feb-12 12:39 PM

I think I'm going in the other direction, Stan. My gear and my photography is different than yours. I have the D3X which I find produces exceptional photos. I don't need the extra resolution which I probably wouldn't see and I certainly don't need the larger raw files. I find the added speed and high ISO performance of the D4 would compliment my D3X. The bodies are also very similar in layout. Except for my little D5100, which serves a very different purpose for me, I've pretty much converted over to the FX format. I'll still be looking at the D4 and D800 for some time after they get released before I make a decision. I just don't see the benefit to the D800 for me.

Len

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4509 posts

#5. "RE: D800 and D4 supply delays" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 17-Feb-12 02:50 PM | edited Fri 17-Feb-12 02:51 PM by richardd300

Originally I thought the D800 was not for me as I needed extra reach afforded by APS-C cameras. Then, after studying the specs and reading the threads, I did consider my options again. My situation now is that...

a) the D700 does everything I enjoy, landscape, architecture and a little portrait and wedding work, so why upgrade.

b) My overwhelming wish is to have a APS-C camera affording the noise capabilities of the D700 for my wildlife work and....

c) Will the D800 offer me what I want in B)in DX mode!

The short answer to c) is I don't know and no one knows. Cameras are judged by users against the genre in which they are used, but one has to physically own them first We have yet to see one image from a Nikonian or any other forum user and when we do I can bet it will be a landscape, architecture or a human or pet and perhaps a few indoors non croppped sports shots. That's where I went wrong with the D7000 and should have waited until telephoto cropped sample images, preferably of moving wildlife, were available. In any event D800 or D400 they will both be no longer the new kids on the block before I decide. It's an expensive decision to get wrong and I am not doing that again. This is a case of where "caveat emptor" definitely applies!

Richard

G