Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

P. A. R. and the D800/D800E

kolson

Auburn, US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kolson Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2009
Sun 19-Feb-12 09:29 PM

During my many years of scientific research in analytical chemistry, I was made aware of P. A. R.

P stands for panacea. At the panacea stage, we were absolutely convinced that this new gadget (or technique) would solve ALL of our previous problems.

A stands for awareness. At the awareness stage, we were starting to suspect (or become aware) that this new gadget (or technique) might have SOME limitations in solving ALL of our previous problems.

R stands for realization. At the realization stage, we were sure that while this new gadget (or technique) had succeeded in solving SOME of our previous problems, it had also introduced a whole series of NEW problems that none of us had anticipated.

We would then say, "Well, that's P. A. R. for the course." Rarely were we in a good mood when we said that.

In this case, the D800/D800E is the new gadget.

P occured on February 7, 2012. OH HAPPY DAY!!! Remember all the EXCITEMENT?

A is any time from the time the "Technical Guide" came out until now. Even landscape photographers with their stationary subjects and wide-angle lenses will have issues with DOF vs. diffraction, and possibly moire. Heaven help the birders and aerial photographers with their moving subjects and telephoto lenses! And what about those simply trying to take available light pictures of small children who are too young to pose?

R is anytime after we have received shipment of the D800/D800E.
Only then will we begin to see all its benefits and limitations.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#1. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 20-Feb-12 12:06 AM

This will be followed by post-purchase rationalization; a cognitive bias whereby someone who purchases an expensive product or service overlooks any faults or defects in order to justify their purchase.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

kolson

Auburn, US
73 posts

#2. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 20-Feb-12 02:21 AM

Sooner or later the undeniable limitations will surface. If the limitations are severe, it is very difficult for the buyer to admit that the purchase was a mistake, because it reflects back on the buyer as well as the seller. Anger may be directed toward the seller. The more expensive the purchase, the harder it is to admit that it was a mistake. Sometimes denial will cause the buyer to keep trying to make the purchase work, when in fact it never will. The reason the product will never work may be due to misrepresentation of the product by the seller, lack of understanding of the product's capabilities by the buyer, or the incompetence of the buyer. May the buyer beware, so that the phrase "But it seemed like such a good idea at the time." will not need to be said.

TonyJ

Boulder, US
1467 posts

#3. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004
Mon 20-Feb-12 02:03 PM

And to think I always assumed "par for the course" was a golf metaphor...

D800e l D500 l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l 200-500 f/5.6 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#4. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 3

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Mon 20-Feb-12 07:23 PM

WOW you guys are so smart!!!!!

kolson

Auburn, US
73 posts

#5. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 20-Feb-12 08:55 PM

WOW! You are such a wise guy!!!

JosephK

Seattle, WA, US
7108 posts

#6. "RE: P. A. R. and the D800/D800E" | In response to Reply # 3

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006
Mon 20-Feb-12 07:34 PM

I am going to stay with the golf metaphor.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

G