Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 and tilt shift lens

robm

Colorado Sprinngs, US
571 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
robm Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2007
Sat 10-Mar-12 10:28 PM

I heard that the D800 is not compatible with the 24mm PC lens. Any ideas why? Does it work with the 45mm and 85mm PC lenses?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob
Colorado Springs, Colorado
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/156659">My Gallery

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#1. "RE: D800 and tilt shift lens" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sat 10-Mar-12 10:19 PM

It will most likely be the same issue as with the D700, as the D800 body looks very similar in size if not identical. I have the D700 and 24PCE, and there are certain extreme positions where the pop-up flash housing gets in the way. I tried this out back when I got the lens, but I don't remember what those restrictions were - for a good reason: I never encountered them in real life shooting. The lens works just fine on my camera, and I;m sure it will on the D800, too. Legally Nikon won't be able to claim it is compatible, because then somebody will point out that scenario and complain.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

blw

Richmond, US
28703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#2. "RE: D800 and tilt shift lens" | In response to Reply # 0

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Sun 11-Mar-12 12:49 AM

I agree with Tom. Supposedly these lenses are not compatible with the smaller cameras - in fact I somehow got the impression that they basically only work with the D3 family. So when I got my 85, what did I do? I put it on the D2x. It doesn't seem to be limited in any way (and it certainly works), although from what I remember, it did come pretty close to touching the front of the prism. Then I put it on the D100. That also worked, although from what I remember, I had to be tad careful if I needed maximum rise and exactly the wrong combination of tilt. As with Tom's experience, I haven't ever had an issue in practice. I'll admit that I do usually use it on the D3, not because it fits better but because it's my only camera with LiveView. My guess is that the D800 is like my D100, meaning that specific extreme combinations may touch the prism.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#3. "RE: D800 and tilt shift lens" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 11-Mar-12 07:30 AM

There has been much angst expressed on the many less polite websites about this "issue", mostly without taking the trouble to understand the situation.

Nikon probably haven't helped themselves by giving a rather snippy and uninformative answer on one of their support websites, but the saner voices out there seem to be convinced (as am I) that it's not a problem - the D800 is likely to impose the same minimal restrictions on use of the TS-E lenses as the D700 did.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

T Spaulding

US
8 posts

#4. "RE: D800 and tilt shift lens" | In response to Reply # 0

T Spaulding Registered since 21st Feb 2012
Sun 11-Mar-12 04:02 PM | edited Sun 11-Mar-12 04:03 PM by T Spaulding

>I heard that the D800 is not compatible with the 24mm PC
>lens. Any ideas why? Does it work with the 45mm and 85mm PC
>lenses?
>
>Thanks,
>Rob

The distance from the flange to the TS knobs is quite a bit longer on the 45 and 85. I own the PCe 45 and don't have any worries about it not working with the D800.

-Tom

robm

Colorado Sprinngs, US
571 posts

#5. "RE: D800 and tilt shift lens" | In response to Reply # 4

robm Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2007
Sun 11-Mar-12 05:24 PM

Is there an official Nikon compatibility chart?

My 24mm PC lens mounts on my D300s. The D300s body doesn't seem to impose any restrictions. Will the 24mm PC work on a D300s (i.e. will not shatter my mirror)? I use it for a wide angle on my D3, so I haven't tried it on the D300s.

It seems like the D800 shouldn't be any smaller than the D300s body.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob
Colorado Springs, Colorado
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/156659">My Gallery

G