Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sigint17 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2010
Sat 24-Mar-12 06:18 PM

In spite of what Adobe claims it doesn't seem to allow one to use LR 4 with the D800. While Capture NX 2 does allow one to manipulate the D800 images, it doesn't have the great cataloging "keywords" etc. capability of LR. I bought the new LR 4 so it isn't a trial version problem.

Has anyone else had and fixed this problem? I was not using Live View which Adobe does say will stop you from being able to import image. All my images are 14 bit RAW. I do not use JPEG. While I need someone else to verify it D800 sharpness seems poor at best. I've used tripod, f13 f stops, 1/8000 shutter speed, etc. and I am not impressed. I suspect I am the problem but I sure didn't have these problems with my D3X.

I think I am the only one with a D800 that I know. My local camera store said I was number one on the list to get a D800 but when only two arrived, I was all of a sudden number three. I went to Best Buy and got one immediately. I have a second D800E on order but if I can't resolve these problems I will cancel the order.

Any ideas from you new D800 owners?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aay

CA
172 posts

#1. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 0

aay Registered since 11th Jul 2010
Sat 24-Mar-12 05:24 PM

I do not yet have D800 (waiting for my order to be filled), but wanted to remind you about diffraction which kicks in after f/8 on D800. So past f/8 you should expect some loss of sharpness if you're looking at your image in full size. Also, from what I read, the mirror might move quite strong, so that too can add to loss of sharpness. Did you try f/8 and mirror lock-up?

You can also refer to Nikons technical guide for D800:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

mikesrc

OKLAHOMA CITY, US
299 posts

#2. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 1

mikesrc Registered since 03rd May 2009
Sat 24-Mar-12 05:56 PM

I've shooting the D800 since Thursday and have shot the snot out of it. Have used all of my lens don't think I've been above F8 would have to look. I know I not shot above 1/640 sec and as far as I know this is as good as it gets. When I nail it shots are perfect other wise I get a little motion blur but not much of that. Really have to pixel peep to see it.

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#3. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 2

Sat 24-Mar-12 06:14 PM

I'll worry about sharpness issues later when I don't have conjunctivitis. . My question was how do you use LR 4 with the D800? I have CS3 but that shouldn't matter. As I stated I upgraded from trial to REAL version of LR 4 and still no go. I even tried to convert to DNG - no luck.

I can use Capture NX 2 and save image as a TIFF and then LR 4 will open this image. That is not acceptable for a solution. And I am not using Live View. Just knowing your D800 works gives me hope but I'm hoping for an answer re LR 4. Personally I doubt if Adobe even has or had a D800 prior to yesterday so how would they know it works with LR 4?

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#4. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 24-Mar-12 06:16 PM

>In spite of what Adobe claims it doesn't seem to allow one to
>use LR 4 with the D800. While Capture NX 2 does allow one to
>manipulate the D800 images, it doesn't have the great
>cataloging "keywords" etc. capability of LR. I
>bought the new LR 4 so it isn't a trial version problem.

Confirmed.

>Has anyone else had and fixed this problem?

I was able to imoport, preview, and export the images. But I cannot get into develop mode with them. Considering I am supposed to deliver these tonight, I might have a problem!

I was not using
>Live View which Adobe does say will stop you from being able
>to import image. All my images are 14 bit RAW. I do not use
>JPEG. While I need someone else to verify it >have conjunctivitis] D800 sharpness seems poor at best. I've
>used tripod, f13 f stops, 1/8000 shutter speed, etc. and I am
>not impressed. I suspect I am the problem but I sure didn't
>have these problems with my D3X.
>
>I think I am the only one with a D800 that I know. My local
>camera store said I was number one on the list to get a D800
>but when only two arrived, I was all of a sudden number three.
>I went to Best Buy and got one immediately. I have a second
>D800E on order but if I can't resolve these problems I will
>cancel the order.
>
>Any ideas from you new D800 owners?

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#5. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 4

Sat 24-Mar-12 06:24 PM

Sure hope you get your problem fixed. For me photography is a hobby, so I can afford some growing pains with Adobe. The real solution would be for Nikon to integrate LR's key wording/cataloging/etc. into a Nikon product. I won't hold my breath.

Best wishes!

T Spaulding

US
8 posts

#6. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 5

T Spaulding Registered since 21st Feb 2012
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:29 PM | edited Sat 24-Mar-12 07:37 PM by T Spaulding

LR4 upgraded from 3 works just fine with my new D800.
Adobe Raw Version 7 and LR 4.0 Win 7 x64

-Tom

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

#7. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 6

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:35 PM

>LR4 works just fine with my new D800.
>Adobe Raw Version 7 and LR 4.0
>
>-Tom
>
OP are you on PC or MAC
Tom are you om PC or MAC?

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

T Spaulding

US
8 posts

#8. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 7

T Spaulding Registered since 21st Feb 2012
Sat 24-Mar-12 07:39 PM

PC here Win 7 64 bit.

-Tom

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#9. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 24-Mar-12 07:47 PM

Mac -that could be problem.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16978 posts

#10. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 9

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Sat 24-Mar-12 09:23 PM

I use Macs and can work with both D800 and D4 14-bit NEFs with LR4. No problems.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#11. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 10

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:04 AM

OK. The facts are my LR 4 does not work with D800 Raws. My LR 4 is an upgrade, not the whole new package. My upgrade might be corrupted. I don't know. Maybe someone else has another idea. If I can't figure it out I will try and contact someone at Adobe. Life without LR 3 is not acceptable. I need the key wording and other search features

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#12. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 25-Mar-12 02:06 AM

Last sentence should read LR 4 not LR 3. Of course if they fixed it so LR 3 could read D800 RAWs, that would be fine with me.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#13. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 25-Mar-12 03:39 AM

>Last sentence should read LR 4 not LR 3. Of course if they
>fixed it so LR 3 could read D800 RAWs, that would be fine with
>me.

Mine still doesn't work, so as an interim fix, I upgraded to the latest Adobe DNG software, converted the RAW files to DNG, and then did my normal workflow. That is working, but it's not a solution, merely a workaround. I am just now delivering the files I should have delivered 6 hours ago.

------

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#14. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 10

Mon 26-Mar-12 07:06 PM

>I use Macs and can work with both D800 and D4 14-bit NEFs
>with LR4. No problems.

I just noticed that Apple have an OS update that adds RAW compatibility for several new cameras, including the D4 and the D800. I will try this when I get home. Hopefully, this is the silver bullet.

------

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#15. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 14

Mon 26-Mar-12 10:23 PM

>>I use Macs and can work with both D800 and D4 14-bit
>NEFs
>>with LR4. No problems.
>
>I just noticed that Apple have an OS update that adds RAW
>compatibility for several new cameras, including the D4 and
>the D800. I will try this when I get home. Hopefully, this
>is the silver bullet.

I can now confirm this fixed my issue. The OS now reports my file sizes correctly, and LR4 is able to process my D800 NEF files without issue. I have one machine running Snow Leopard and another running Lion. Both are now updated.

------

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6134 posts

#16. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 0

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 10:50 PM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 03:30 PM by Arkayem

Added: My system is Windows 7, 64 bit.

I have not had any problems with my D800 using LR4.

I have shot in jpeg and 14 bit lossless compressed raw, and LR4 opens and edits them perfectly.

I can also call CS5 from inside lightroom, and it handles them properly as well.

Of course, both LR4 and CS5 have all the latest updates.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#17. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 0

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:49 AM

I don't have a D800 but I've downloaded lots of NEF files from the samples available online and played with them in LR4... no issues here.

Actually, here's a screen cap of a RAW edit I did in LR4 with some D800E NEFs someone posted in the dpreview forums.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

RodW

AU
116 posts

#18. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 0

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012
Sun 25-Mar-12 10:38 AM

I had troubles with LR3 not opening the D800 RAW files and found that Adobe had an upgrade to the Camera Raw plugin. When I downloaded it, it was a beta one but once installed, it was happy to open the D800 sample files I wanted to look at in both Photoshop and LR.

Maybe the difference is 64 bit v's 32 bit Windows for those who can't get it to work. My upgrade to LR4 is still in the mail.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5758 posts

#19. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 18

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 26-Mar-12 09:53 AM

>I had troubles with LR3 not opening the D800 RAW files and
>found that Adobe had an upgrade to the Camera Raw plugin. When
>I downloaded it, it was a beta one but once installed, it was
>happy to open the D800 sample files I wanted to look at in
>both Photoshop and LR.

Downloading ACR should affect photoshop but not lightroom, where the ACR is built in and not (separately) upgradable. Unless that's a 4.0 change?

I asked over in Lightroomforums.net and no one has seen an issue, and success was reported there in opening D800 shots on LR4.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

RodW

AU
116 posts

#20. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 19

Mon 26-Mar-12 10:36 AM

I approached this problem with the knowledge that Adobe uses many shared libraries across their software products. With this knowledge I googled for a camera raw upgrade, found a beta version of an upgrade that will expire in April and it fixed it for LR3. LR is new for me and I have not bothered with trying out LR4 until the upgrade arrives from Adobe. I bought LR3 the day before LR3 was released and they could not give me a downloadable upgrade for free.

I think I saw a link after a quick google today that indicated that the D800 will be supported in the first dot release of LR4. Maybe you should try different Raw formats to see if you have better luck. Eg 12/14 bit, compressed/uncompressed. If some are getting it to work, this might be worth exploring. Also check out the Adobe support forums and product pages.

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#21. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 20

Mon 26-Mar-12 10:49 AM | edited Mon 26-Mar-12 12:55 PM by sigint17

This sounds like a reasonable approach. However, while Capture NX 2 does open the D800 images, the quality of the images is is poor and you can't blow them up without immediate pixellation. Maybe I have a dud D800. I will keep trying but this seems like to many things going wrong for me on software that works fine for others so maybe it is the D800 that is the problem. That means I might have the problem of getting a replacement D800 when there are no cameras in stock.

I have a expert coming tomorrow to see what he thinks and act accordingly.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#22. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 21

Mon 26-Mar-12 12:13 PM

>This sounds like a reasonable approach. However, while
>Capture NX 2 does open the D800 images, the quality of the
>images is is poor and you can't blow them up without immediate
>pixellation. Maybe I have a dud D800. I will keep trying but
>this seems like to many things going wrong for me on software
>that works fine for others so maybe it is the D800. That means
>I have the problem of getting a replacement when there are no
>cameras in stock.
>
>I have a expert coming tomorrow to see what he thinks. I'll
>see what ghe thinks and act accordingly.

Well, shoot some Jpegs and see how they look. If they look fine, then your problem is not the camera.

------

RodW

AU
116 posts

#23. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 22

Mon 26-Mar-12 06:11 PM | edited Mon 26-Mar-12 06:12 PM by RodW

Here is the beta I spoke of http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-7/

And there is no doubt that Camera Raw is shared by both Photoshop and Lightroom. I think LR4 may have rolled out with Camera Raw 7. See
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html#supportedcameras
The D800 is supported.

LR is part of the Photoshop family according to Adobe. I'd try the beta

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#24. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 23

Mon 26-Mar-12 06:32 PM

>LR is part of the Photoshop family according to Adobe. I'd try
>the beta

I did that on Saturday night. When you try to install the beta is won't install and says it's not applicable. It's a no go.

------

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5758 posts

#25. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 23

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 26-Mar-12 07:01 PM

>And there is no doubt that Camera Raw is shared by both
>Photoshop and Lightroom. I think LR4 may have rolled out with
>Camera Raw 7.

Again, unless they changed it in LR4 (and pretty sure they did not), ACR's separate install does NOT affect Lightroom; whatever version of ACR LR uses is compiled in and can only be changed with a new version of LR.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#26. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 25

Mon 26-Mar-12 07:41 PM

I started this thread. Thanks to the many responses, I have concluded the problem is NOT with Capture NX2, LR 4 or anything but a defective D800. First defective Nikon product I've had since I started buying Nikon in 1959. So, it will undergo one more check by an independent and knowledgeable Nikon user and if it fails I will return it to Best Buy. I have a D800 on order at my local camera store, and a replacement on order at Best Buy and a D800E on order at B&H that I ordered long time back. Not much more I can do.

Thanks for all the input which convinced me that LR 4 and Capture NX 2 are almost undoubtedly not the problem.

No telling what the wait time is for me to get a replacement.

RodW

AU
116 posts

#27. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 26

Mon 26-Mar-12 08:21 PM

You could confirm your diagnosis by downloading some raw files from some of the online sites. It is unlikely a camera fault would generate a faulty file because there
Is bound to be some check sum error detection technology in the data generation routines. A software incompatibility on your PC is more likely. Do this before you return the camera.

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#28. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 27

Mon 26-Mar-12 09:19 PM

Thanks - I will be sure to try that.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16978 posts

#29. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 28

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 26-Mar-12 09:33 PM

That's a good idea. If you haven't done so, I'd also swap cards and be certain to format the new one to get a clean start.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#30. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 29

Mon 26-Mar-12 10:27 PM

Have done that with cards. There are many reasons to suspect camera but by tomorrow should have it narrowed down to whether camera is at fault,

I will post findings. I can also take it into the "trusted" camera store. I am pretty sure they have running Capture NX 2 and LR 4 and they can see if I have something set wrong.

The geek squad at Best Buy probably is not the best place to have it diagnosed.

sigint17

Lincoln, US
46 posts

#31. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 29

Mon 26-Mar-12 10:33 PM

Rick:

Really miss The Image Doctors. You guys would have tons of information of use re the D800 and soon the D800E. The is a real paucity of good info on Nikon on podcasts these days. You left just when Nikon went warp speed!!

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16978 posts

#32. "RE: D800 images can't be used with just upgraded LR 4" | In response to Reply # 31

Tue 27-Mar-12 12:29 AM

Sorry!

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

G