Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

family lifestyle photographer wanting to upgrade: d700, d800, d3s?

dulciaj

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dulciaj Registered since 31st Mar 2012
Mon 02-Apr-12 02:47 AM

I am a family and child lifestyle photographer - meaning I shoot moving targets (ie, kids under 5), often in low light and sell images printed up to 30x40 (usually smaller). I currently have a D300s and am unhappy with the noise at low ISOs in low light situations as well as the lack of crispness in certain pictures (I do use mostly a Nikkor 24-70/2.8 so pro glass).

I want to upgrade and was holding my cookies for the D800 and then it turned out to not be EXACTLY what I wanted. I need good resolution but great noise handling and fast/accurate auto-focus.

Do you recommend getting the D800? Looking for a D700 on the cheap or shelling out the big bucks for a D3s? Thanks!

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

#1. "RE: family lifestyle photographer wanting to upgrade: d700, d800, d3s?" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Mon 02-Apr-12 01:11 AM

>I am a family and child lifestyle photographer

Ok

>I shoot moving targets (ie, kids under 5), often in low light
>and sell images printed up to 30x40

BIG prints for a D300s

>I want to upgrade

I can certainly understand why.

>was holding my cookies for the D800 and
>then it turned out to not be EXACTLY what I wanted.

What is it you EXACTLY want?

> I need >good resolution but great noise handling and fast/accurate
>auto-focus.

All things the D800 excels at.

>Do you recommend getting the D800? Looking for a D700 on the
>cheap or shelling out the big bucks for a D3s? Thanks!

If I was offering 30x40 prints, I'd be looking at a D800, A 5DMk3, or a D4 at minimum. I couldn't imagine offering a 30x40 print from a 12MP camera. I'm sure some people do it, but it certainly wouldn't meet my standards.

If you are looking to save a few bucks, take the D7000 for a spin. At worst, it's a nice backup. But coming from a DX camera with a 24-70 and going to FX might mean a glass change.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#2. "RE: family lifestyle photographer wanting to upgrade: d700, d800, d3s?" | In response to Reply # 0

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Mon 02-Apr-12 06:23 AM

What "exactly" is the concern about with the D800??? I would guess you are concerned with the 4 fps.... but wouldn't/shouldn't change that much compared to a D300s unless you have the grip for the D300s putting it at 8 fps.

Chris

G