Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004
Tue 17-Apr-12 12:32 AM

Being in a low population area has its perks, but local ability to get a D800 isn't one of them. Our local Best Buys are not cleared by the chain to sell D800s yet.

Any one else having the same problem?

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants. :)

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#1. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 0

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Tue 17-Apr-12 09:47 PM

I guess it is worse than I thought. I must only be me.

beemerman2k

Ellington, US
441 posts

#2. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 1

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006
Wed 18-Apr-12 01:05 AM

Honestly speaking, why buy from there anyhow? I would buy from 1) my local Nikon retailer because of the support they can provide and then 2) from a place like Berger Brothers or B&H. Best Buy? No. Maybe a flash or a lens cap, or even lens wipes, but that's about it.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#3. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 18-Apr-12 10:55 AM

Best Buy has a great return policy but a local store where they know your name and your craft is the best option. The cameras sell for the same so you might as well get some personal attention by shopping with small family run businesses. Nikon seems to be favoring the small retailers this time, they all have gotten more D800's than the mega-on-line stores. B&H still is waiting for expected their first delivery expected sometime in May, while many small stores on their 3rd shipment.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

holdenchicago

Chicago, US
41 posts

#4. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 2

holdenchicago Registered since 30th Dec 2009
Wed 18-Apr-12 12:43 PM

They seem to be the only place you have a random chance of getting a D800 exactly because nobody buys from them. I am number 4 on the waitlist at one of the Best Buys in Chicago. I also ordered from Amazon on February 7 at 6am and am probably number 10,000 on their list. I am willing to try anything at this point. Going on safari in May and might end up buying from ebay for an extra $1,000 if I can't find one in time.

mwhals

Winfield, US
1664 posts

#5. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 2

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004
Wed 18-Apr-12 12:50 PM

Actually, our local camera store went out of business a couple of years ago, because they never moved from developing film to the digital age. Best Buy is the only local store, except for Ritz Camera, that I could get a D800. Normally, I go through Berger Brothers or B&H Photo, but I thought it better luck to try the local store.

holdenchicago

Chicago, US
41 posts

#6. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 0

holdenchicago Registered since 30th Dec 2009
Wed 18-Apr-12 12:49 PM

I think there is mass confusion at a store level from Best Buy. I spoke with one of the guys in the camera department yesterday and he showed me their inventory system. He said every once in a while a D800 will show up which will allow people to pre-order and be added to the waitlist. If there are no cameras in inventory anywhere, the system won't allow anything to be entered. Yesterday they were showing -1 cameras at a store.

RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US
3373 posts

#7. "RE: Local Best Buy Not Cleared to Sell D800s Yet" | In response to Reply # 6

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter Member
Thu 19-Apr-12 01:55 AM

Quote>I think there is mass confusion at a store level from Best
>Buy. I spoke with one of the guys in the camera department
>yesterday and he showed me their inventory system. He said
>every once in a while a D800 will show up which will allow
>people to pre-order and be added to the waitlist. If there
>are no cameras in inventory anywhere, the system won't allow
>anything to be entered. Yesterday they were showing -1
>cameras at a store.<Quote<<<

It is much worst than you think.
The entire Nikon D800 ordering system seems to be messed up.

Day one, I preordered one from my local (Greens) Camera store.
They never had a clue if they were ever going to get one.

So, several weeks ago after calling 4 local Best Buys stores, I ordered one.
That Best Buys had a D800 listed in their inventory,
but none of them had one nor were they planning on carrying them.
However, because they were allotted one I was able to order and pick it up the following Friday.
That Tuesday, my original order came in to Greens.
They were not notified of shipping or anything , it just showed up and I bought it.
A Nikonians friend (Pete) got the second one.

Ask your local Best Buys buyer to order one for you, you may get lucky.

G