Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
osfield

Glenrowan, AU
82 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
osfield Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Sep 2008
Thu 05-Apr-12 05:26 AM

May be a dumb question. But my new computer comes with USB 3 ports for faster downloading. Can I get some kind of cable to plug into my D700 camera which is USB 3 compliant ? Also if I get a D800? Even more important then given file size

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb

San Jose, US
14843 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: USB 3 and D700 D800" | In response to Reply # 0

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006
Thu 05-Apr-12 04:52 AM

You can use a USB 2 cable on a USB 3 port, but the best way to take advantage of the USB 3 speed is to just buy a USB 3 card reader, and load your CF card into it. It is much faster than fire wire.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!
Old age is a special gift that very few receive. Be thankful if you get it.

mkaplan

Kitchener, CA
92 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#2. "RE: USB 3 and D700 D800" | In response to Reply # 1

mkaplan Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2012
Thu 05-Apr-12 07:55 AM

Robsb is correct. I got a USB 3.0 card reader before I got the D800 and it flies. Now with the large file size of the D800 it is really great to have. Unfortunately to gain the speed advantage of a USB3.0 port, both sides have to be USB3. Your D700 is only USB2 so although it will work you do not gain any speed at all.

Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G