Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Who needs more than 4fps....

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012
Sun 20-May-12 08:36 PM | edited Sun 20-May-12 08:41 PM by InsaneO

Even though I have 7D with 8fps I decided to take D800e to the airshow.
Out of all cross runs I only missed one shot.

Click on image to view larger version

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#1. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 0

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 21-May-12 02:26 PM

I've heard this kind of talk a lot regarding the D800's frame rate, particularly when I posted that D800 won't replace my 7fps D300s for birds in flight. I got comments from people who shoot very slow moving, very predictable sports (like dressage) about how I need to just be better at timing, etc.

Fact is, some of us shoot stuff where the movement is entirely unpredictable, and the action so fast you will literally miss it in the blink of an eye (or in some cases, the camera is able to catch things you'd never see with the naked eye.)

I'm glad 4fps is fine for an airshow. For those of us shooting faster, less predictable things, we'd certainly get successful shots at 4fps, but total number of keepers will go up with cameras whose design intent is to capture fast action. The D800 is amazing in so many regards, but speed isn't one of them.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#2. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 1

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 21-May-12 02:53 PM

I think Larry got it right. The higer FPS rate of my D3s means I'll keep it for fast action where split seconds can make all the difference. The D800 will be for slower and more detailed work.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Timbo1961

Pickering, ON, CA
60 posts

#3. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 1

Timbo1961 Registered since 08th Oct 2008
Mon 21-May-12 03:01 PM

I know this isn't airshows, but this relates to other fast moving objects....
I shot the Victoria Day Speedfest yesterday (Canada at the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) and tried on the last day to use the D800 for some shots with the 70-200. Very impressive resolution, and I could crop in a bit (but no replacement for useing my 400 f2.8 ... the depth of field etc. is awesome on that lens ... no way the 70-200 will replace that ... but that is another story) however, I really miss the 11 fps of the D3S.
When there is a small window for the cars to show up in, or for turn in at a corner... shooting in a restricted area through a small opening, it is hard to get the car exactly in the area that you want with backgrounds etc. with the D800 at 4 fps. Had a really hard time...
I have been shooting cars for many years and while I like the resolution and some ability to crop in, I will not be trading in my D3s / 400 f2.8 and D300S / 70-200 combo.
I will keep the D800 for portraits, landscape and architecture.... on a tripod.
Also, 105 shots took up 3.4 gigs! WOW! :O

TimMcGillPhotography and TMStudios

www.timmcgillphotography.com
or
www.timmcgillportraits.com

Sports, Events, Gigs, Beauty, Fashion, Glamour, and Boudoir

Timbo1961

Pickering, ON, CA
60 posts

#4. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 2

Timbo1961 Registered since 08th Oct 2008
Mon 21-May-12 03:02 PM

Hey Mick ... Just while I was writing ... you posted in there.
I agree 100% !
Just what I said too.

TimMcGillPhotography and TMStudios

www.timmcgillphotography.com
or
www.timmcgillportraits.com

Sports, Events, Gigs, Beauty, Fashion, Glamour, and Boudoir

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#5. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Mon 21-May-12 04:47 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 04:49 PM by klrbee25

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Sure you can get a good split-second shot with 4fps. But if you were shooting 8 or even 11 fps, you might have gotten a shot that fell between the 4 fps shots that had better composition, timing, etc. If you're shooting at 4 fps, you'll never really see what you missed. If you're shooting 11 fps, you're more likely to find a gem between not-so-good photos that you prefer.

Higher frame rate captures more opportunities for grabbing the perfect moment. If you're a pro and the perfect moment drives your earnings, then you need all the help you can get to capture the best timing and composition possible.

High fps also simplifies focusing in difficult situations. Say you try to trap focus at a specific location as a high speed subjects passes by. If you're shooting at 11 fps, you're more likely to get a frame with the ideal focus than if you're shooting at 4 fps.

If given the option, I'd always always always take a higher frame rate if possible. Currently there is no camera that offers what the D800 does, at the D800 price-point, and that shoots any faster than a D800.

I'm really enjoying my D800, but I've kept my D300 for those times where I need to machine-gun photos to guarantee a good shot.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#6. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 5

mdonovan Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 21-May-12 04:56 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 04:56 PM by mdonovan

totally agree with this ... although if you are limited .. you will develop a better sense of timing by default and thus get great shots.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#7. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 21-May-12 06:37 PM

These planes are going in access of 400mph. Combined over 800mph.
What is faster than that? It is more of the experience than camera speed. I don't have any more keepers with 7D at 8fps either.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#8. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 7

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Mon 21-May-12 06:45 PM

So clearly, 4fps works for you. But since the question was asked, many of us have reasons why 4fps isn't enough.

As demonstrated by Monty Python, do you want an argument or just contradiction (or perhaps a discussion).

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#9. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 21-May-12 06:51 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 06:55 PM by InsaneO

>It's all in the eye of the beholder. Sure you can get a good
>split-second shot with 4fps. But if you were shooting 8 or
>even 11 fps, you might have gotten a shot that fell between
>the 4 fps shots that had better composition, timing, etc. If
>you're shooting at 4 fps, you'll never really see what you
>missed. If you're shooting 11 fps, you're more likely to find
>a gem between not-so-good photos that you prefer.

I shot at 8fps and not just airshows. It is more of the experience than anything else. High frames cameras were not always there yet photogs captured some wonderful moments without them.
Knowing the shutter lag is more important than anything.
I don't shoot and pray either.
Besides it does not matter. At over 800 mph combined speed you can only get one shot or two shots anyway with 11 fps depending where the cross point is. The closer the action the less chance you would have.
Also, someone here mentioned unpredictability. If I could predict where crossing point would be it would help a lot. Unfortunately, there is no way to do it so panning experience is a must.

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#10. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 7

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Mon 21-May-12 06:52 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 06:57 PM by MotoMannequin

>These planes are going in access of 400mph. Combined over
>800mph.
>What is faster than that?

Seriously? The Moon is considerably faster! (2237 mph relative to the Earth).

Like the Moon, your planes are relatively far away, which makes their angular velocity relative to you much slower. You'd have a much easier time panning with one of these jets than you would a bicycle racer going 20mph and passing 5 feet from you.
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mrpenguin

Windsor, CA
306 posts

#11. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 9

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012
Mon 21-May-12 09:40 PM

A wile back I thought that shooting a bride and groom or couple at high FPS would allow me to capture at least one shot with their eyes open, but I soon realized that at such high FPS that all I got was 7 photos of the bride with her eyes closed while she blinked :{ ...lol

4FPS is more than enough for me as an event photographer but I am pretty sure I would like having that 7 or 10 FPS when shooting sports.

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#12. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 0

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Tue 22-May-12 03:55 AM

Interesting discussion. Since I am thinking about jumping on the D800 bandwagon actually the E and coming form a D300 with grip the FPS loss had been on my mind. Yes, the D300 shoots 8 FPS, but after shooting close to 135000 images thought it and mostly sports & BIF's I can honestly say that all 8 are never ever all in focus. To me the auto focus seems at times to lag behind while shooting the 8 FPS. What I am wondering is since the auto focus system in the D800 it supposed to be faster & more accurate is it possible I will get more in focus shots at 4 FPS with the D800 then I would get with the D300 at 8? I hear what everyone is saying about getting the shot because you have 8 FPS but if all 8 frames are not in perfect focus what good is it, and lets be honest, if we are shooting erratic subjects like BIF all 8 are not in focus, at least for me they are not.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#13. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 12

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 22-May-12 04:27 AM

>Interesting discussion. Since I am thinking about jumping on
>the D800 bandwagon actually the E and coming form a D300 with
>grip the FPS loss had been on my mind. Yes, the D300 shoots 8
>FPS, but after shooting close to 135000 images thought it and
>mostly sports & BIF's I can honestly say that all 8 are
>never ever all in focus. To me the auto focus seems at times
>to lag behind while shooting the 8 FPS. What I am wondering is
>since the auto focus system in the D800 it supposed to be
>faster & more accurate is it possible I will get more in
>focus shots at 4 FPS with the D800 then I would get with the
>D300 at 8? I hear what everyone is saying about getting the
>shot because you have 8 FPS but if all 8 frames are not in
>perfect focus what good is it, and lets be honest, if we are
>shooting erratic subjects like BIF all 8 are not in focus, at
>least for me they are not.

At this point, other than for low light work, I am no longer carrying my D3s. It's all D800. As for relative speed, I'll let you determine that. Here are the sports I've shot on the D800 thus far:

Water Polo at up to 300mm.
Baseball
Softball
Beach Volleyball (ACC)
Sprinting (Olympic level)
High Jump
Pole Vault
Long Jump

This fall, I will add the following:

Soccer (collegiate level)
Basketball (ACC)
Football
Swimming & Diving
Volleyball (ACC)

I feel that I lose practically nothing shooting the D800 vs the D3s. I can think of a few instances where I will miss the speed. Particularly in soccer and indoor volleyball. Most sports move slowly enough for me to not worry about it.

I have done some BIF with the D800 and the D3s. For me, it's a tossup.

I readily admit that most people do not shoot sports like I do, and that you should take my experiences with a grain of salt. You are welcome to visit my site and peruse the images. D800 images are prefixed with a D80_ and D3s images with D32_ or DS3_

-P

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

kartane

AU
163 posts

#14. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 1

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012
Tue 22-May-12 05:25 AM

When I first started photography I attempted to program my brain. I wanted the millisecond delay, between my decision to press the shutter and the actual photo, burned into my consciousness.

To try this you need a film camera with the back removed, lens, flash and tennis ball in a darkened room. Hold the camera with your eye at the film plate. Bounce the ball and click the shutter. The eye retains an image of the ball for about a second. Repeat this a few times until you get a feel for the timing.

Yes I was young and keen back then. I had a distrust of motor drives ability to capture the correct moment so I experimented. Did it work? Who knows. But it gave me confidence regarding my ability to time when to take a photograph. And 3 shots are cheaper than 15.

With digital make sure autofocus is off, take 10 shots and see how you go.

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Please visit My Nikonians gallery

RodW

AU
116 posts

#15. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 0

RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012
Tue 22-May-12 08:46 AM

Geez, I must be a noob with this level of camera. I used to leave my camera on continuous shooting mode so I set my D800 to this and I found it was too fast to me at 4 fps so I wound it back to 2 fps. While I am coming to grips with how to get the most out of it, it is mostly set to single shot mode because I have a lot going through my head as I learn the camera.

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#16. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 13

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Laureate Ribbon awarded as a winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007
Tue 22-May-12 11:18 AM

Hi Perrone,

Thanks for your response. Reading your posts over the last month is actually one of the reasons why I am thinking about jumping to the D800. Although I have my D300 set to CH it is very rare I use it to its full potential. I am usually using it if at all in short bursts or 3-4 images. I have been to your site a few times as I enjoy your images.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#17. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 16

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Tue 22-May-12 12:13 PM

>Hi Perrone,
>
>Thanks for your response. Reading your posts over the last
>month is actually one of the reasons why I am thinking about
>jumping to the D800. Although I have my D300 set to CH it is
>very rare I use it to its full potential. I am usually using
>it if at all in short bursts or 3-4 images. I have been to
>your site a few times as I enjoy your images.
>
>Thanks again for your thoughts.

I will note to you as I have others in the past. I did a VERY careful examination of my images where I was using the D3s in burst mode. This was typically how I shot it... bursts of 2-3 images. In nearly every case it was the initial image in that burst that I ended up using. However, there are some problems with that...

The primary issue is that some sports I cover have reaction after peak action. And it is in those sports where the fast motor drive of the sports cameras come into their own. In volleyball for instance the spike is "the moment", however the amazing reaction dig a half second after that spike is something you would potentially get with a faster camera but not with a D800. In considering that scenario, I looked at my own photos and found when looking critically, that there were VERY few of those immediate reactions I got that were in focus. And that was simply because they usually happened outside of the plane of focus since I usually shoot at F2.8 or F4. So while the D3s had the speed to capture those moments, the AF system didn't have the required time to refocus the lens before the reaction moment was gone.

For a BIF this might be an issue if you are tracking a bird hunting. You might get part of the action, but not the totality. So you have to choose your moments.

If you've followed my posts, you will have seen me pining for a D400. And the primary reason for this is that I would MUCH prefer to have a DX sensor for the reach, 24MP or so for the ability to still do some effective cropping, and the 8fps or so that I need for certain situations. That is the compromise situation that comes closest to my ideal. Each shooter should truly examine their own image making critically, and determine what they REALLY need. Fast motordrives are a wonderful crutch that we've all gotten very accustomed to. But the game of football hasn't changed all that much from the 70s when we were getting great images on 400 speed film and a hand-wound camera. You don't need 12fps to cover football. Basketball is a little faster, but not that much. Erratic birds in flight are more a challenge for the AF system and the shooters ability to track than for the motor drive.

Again, I can't tell you if the D800 will meet your needs or not. Only you can determine that. But look at your images and be honest with yourself. And the answer should present itself in short order.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Bump57

US
6898 posts

#18. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 17

Tue 22-May-12 03:52 PM

"So while the D3s had the speed to capture those moments, the AF system didn't have the required time to refocus the lens before the reaction moment was gone."

In my case all be it with the D300 I have found the same thing. Today I don't shoot near the sports I used to. 3-4 times a year maybe & BIF maybe a little more but not much, mostly Eagles in the winter months. Mostly these days I am shooting landscapes and still life with some people shots thrown in on accusation. With the higher ISO performance I might shoot a little more indoor basketball in the future but no big plans for sports this year, the money is just not there like it used to be in my area. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to post like you do, you seem to be a straight shooter and tell it like it is and that will keep me reading. Do you have a blog somewhere? If not maybe it is time to have one.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#19. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 10

Tue 22-May-12 09:26 PM

When 2 planes are crossing each other it does not matter if they cross in front of you or a mile away. The timing is exactly the same.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#20. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 11

Tue 22-May-12 09:41 PM

Yeap,

Shot few actors yesterday at Femme Fatales second season opening.
Out of 400 shots only one was with eyes closed.
Happy to say that shutter lag on D800e is much better than my old Canon 5D2. The only regret I had I forgot to bring my special diffuser so all shots came out harsh.

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

#21. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 19

Tue 22-May-12 10:37 PM

>When 2 planes are crossing each other it does not matter if
>they cross in front of you or a mile away. The timing is
>exactly the same.

Sorry but you're dead wrong on that one.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#22. "More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 17-Jun-12 03:19 AM

The shutter lag is so fast that I can capture really quick stuff in one single shot.

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

#23. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 22

Devek Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2012
Sun 17-Jun-12 03:40 AM

I begin to agree with you.... My Sony A55 was my star for its 10fps when I needed absolute focus. Then I started craving the Sony A77 with 12fps... and in the meantime the D800 keeps capturing images with one click that I can't argue with...

The images below were taken from 135 feet away using the D800 and the Sigma II 70-200mm F2.8 lens. No flash, no multi frames per second... one click at a time, mounted on a monopod. Maybe I'll stay with the D800 and skip the A77.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

---
D800, D7000

My Website: www.DevekMaga.com

Ray Gerke

winnipeg, CA
633 posts

#24. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 23

Ray Gerke Registered since 12th Sep 2004
Sun 17-Jun-12 04:07 PM

I got this photo because of 11 fps with my D2Hs. (have a close look at the eyes of the players and the ball compressed on his faceguard!)
I still use the D2Hs for sporting events. Even though it is old technology it is still a great camera to use!!
Ray

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Ray Gerke

D800, D5300, D2HS, D700 (sold), D7000(sold), CP520, CP510
Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX
Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS

My mapped photos from around the world

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

#25. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 24

Sun 17-Jun-12 04:21 PM

Beautiful!

Your shot proves that without the faceguard he would have at least a broken nose.....

---
D800, D7000

Ray Gerke

winnipeg, CA
633 posts

#26. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 25

Sun 17-Jun-12 04:27 PM

Thanks Devek.

Yes he would have had a black eye as well.
I love the high framerate of the D2Hs for fast action. But my D800 and D700 are great for everything else.

Ray

Ray Gerke

Nikkor 24mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 14-24 F/2.8, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120VR, Nikkor Micro 60mm f/2.8, Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8VR, Nikkor 10.5 DX

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#27. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 20

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Sun 17-Jun-12 05:55 PM

The ladies look marvelous!!!!!
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#28. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 26

Sun 17-Jun-12 05:59 PM

The slow frame rate has made many of us slooooowwww down when we shoot. Not a bad thing. I think its a technological problem that will be solved with time. It would be nice to have 8-10 fps at 36 MP. We could use high FPS at some time in our shooting times. Maybe the next camera in 4 years will be D4S with 36MP and 10fps??
-------------

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

#29. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 28

Sun 17-Jun-12 06:07 PM

I don't think I can wait four years...

I already learned that each camera has its benefits and challenges. In September Sony will introduce the Alpha 99 (A99) with 36.9MP, Full Frame and 12fps at maximum resolution... I need that!

The D800 will have its place, of course.

---
D800, D7000

Ray Gerke

winnipeg, CA
633 posts

#30. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 29

Sun 17-Jun-12 08:51 PM

>I don't think I can wait four years...
>
>I already learned that each camera has its benefits and
>challenges. In September Sony will introduce the Alpha 99
>(A99) with 36.9MP, Full Frame and 12fps at maximum
>resolution... I need that!
>
>The D800 will have its place, of course.
>
I think this is the latest rumour for the A99
http://thenewcamera.com/?p=10596 Doesn't look like 36MP and 12fps

It would be darn impressive if anyone could do that with a useful number of images in the burst.
Ray

Ray Gerke

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#31. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 30

Sun 17-Jun-12 09:20 PM

Another issue is space and I realize its all relative. 10 fps @ 45MB is close to 450 MB /second. Boggles my mind how far we have come from pictures that were 45k!!
-------------

JonK

New York, US
6318 posts

#32. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Mon 18-Jun-12 12:25 AM

It's not the FPS that's stopping the action, that's the shutter speed. But higher FPS increases the possibility that you will capture the composition you want — in this case, the exact spacing between the planes.

The D800e is becoming my all-around "go-to" camera. And when I shoot a Yankee-Boston baseball game next month, better believe I'll take my D3s because the 10 FPS will increase my chance of getting the exact moment the pitch comes out of the pitcher's hand or the infielder catches a ground ball, etc.

Could I use the D800e? Sure, and I'd get good results. But for speedy subjects the higher the frame rate the better the chances of capturing a keeper.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#33. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 32

Unavailable Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 18-Jun-12 03:28 PM

4 FPS is mediocre for sure. But the small RAW buffer size is the bigger issue for me.

If we had 9 FPS on the D800 with the same buffer, I would often be locked out in less than 2 seconds. 4 FPS is better than the 0 FPS that you get when the buffer is full.

Dear Nikon: Fix the buffer first. Then I will be able to appreciate a higher FPS

--

Craig

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#34. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 23

Tue 19-Jun-12 05:05 PM

The reason you are getting one shot action is because you shoot what you see at very fast shutter lag.
On the other hand most fast camera shooters spray and pray and select the shot they did not see but got lucky to capture.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#35. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 28

Tue 19-Jun-12 05:07 PM

The opposite of that is going to be 1 good shot and 11 wasted ones.
People captured great shots before fast cameras so why not now.
I am from the old school.

InsaneO

Encino, US
395 posts

#36. "RE: More fast stuff............." | In response to Reply # 29

Tue 19-Jun-12 05:10 PM

Sony might have the same sensor as D800 but from my previous experience looking at the Sony's cameras compared to Nikon with the same sensor Sony will not have good high ISO performance like Nikon.

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#37. "RE: Who needs more than 4fps...." | In response to Reply # 1

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Tue 19-Jun-12 09:14 PM

Yep, that is why they made the D4

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

G