Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mirror slap in live view mode

Vlad_IT

US
1354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Tue 15-May-12 02:29 AM

Folks,

in field guide for D800 i remember reading that to minimize blur from mirror slap, Nikon recomends using LV mode. Is that true for D800 that mirror does not going down for metering before releasing sutter in LV?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

dankeny

Roland, US
1555 posts

#1. "RE: Mirror slap in live view mode" | In response to Reply # 0

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006
Tue 15-May-12 01:47 AM

It meters in LV with the mirror up.

David

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#2. "RE: Mirror slap in live view mode" | In response to Reply # 0

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Tue 15-May-12 05:11 AM

If you put the D800 on a solid tripod such as a Gitzo, the mirror slap will not effect your shots because the tripod anchors the body. I ran a series of tests doing HDR with the camera in live view vs normal mirror slap when mounted on a Gitzo GT3530L tripod and Kirk BH-3 Ball Head. I found no difference.

You can see some of the results at the bottom of the following album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2740905554738.130328.1020396151&type=3&l=764c8cadd2

How you process the images makes a bigger difference when using the right tripod/head.

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#3. "RE: Mirror slap in live view mode" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Tue 15-May-12 11:40 AM

That's correct, the mirror stays up the total time in live view, even if you take a series of photos. You can even review the images without the mirror going down.

I just did a macro focus stack with Helicon Remote software. The program puts the camera in Live View and shows the image on your computer monitor. It changes the focus using the AF motor in your camera/lens. Through the whole sequence the mirror stayed up!

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ms8107242

Dresher, US
53 posts

#4. "RE: Mirror slap in live view mode" | In response to Reply # 3

ms8107242 Registered since 09th Dec 2003
Tue 15-May-12 10:03 PM

A different question regarding live view. Just got my D800 and playing around, and noticed when shooting in live view a significant wait from the time I press the shutter till the image appears for review in the LCD. During that time, assume can't take any shots, as not seeing anything thru the LCD. So ... my question ... is there any reason to consider using live view in continuous mode (AF-C) when trying to track an object? Would assume the behavior I have seen would make this non optimal. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

G