Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Availability: Berger Brothers

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Sat 12-May-12 01:29 PM

I've ordered a D800 from Berger Brothers and am wondering if anyone has received a D800 from this company. I was told two weeks ago that they would have information on a shipment, and then again the week I e-mailed Brad who said no news on shipment.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I sold my D300 and am without a camera and have a photo trip coming up shortly and need a camera.

Really disappointed with Nikon and right now Berger Brothers.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vchelf

Houston, US
284 posts

#1. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

vchelf Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Sep 2009
Sat 12-May-12 01:45 PM

Wow, given the scarcity of the D800, I am not sure that I would have sold the D300 before you got the D800. Well, that's history at this point. Do you have any local camera stores in your area? You may want to try some smaller stores and see if they have any availability. I am finding that the locals have much shorter waiting lists - and possibly much faster delivery times. Another note - it seems that if you put down a deposit ($500 or so) it can often times put you higher on the lists (they think you are more serious).

Best regards,

Victor Chelf (vchelf)
Houston, TX

Visit my Zenfolio gallery.

MEMcD

US
31307 posts

#2. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 12-May-12 03:25 PM

Hi Jean,

The popularity of the D800 has created long waiting lists at all of the larger Nikon Dealers. In addition to the current Nikon owners looking to upgrade, scores of people shooting other brands and many videographers have jumped on the D800 band wagon as well. Add to that that many have orders at multiple retailers which makes judging actual demand and therefore delivery schedules almost impossible.
Brad can only provide you with the information that he is given.
The problem of demand far exceeding supply is also effecting the D4 as it did the D3s, D3, and D700 in the past.
If I remember correctly it was about a year before a D3 could be found in stock or on the shelf at most dealers though it was built in much smaller numbers than the D700 or D800.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10538 posts

#3. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 1

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Sat 12-May-12 03:25 PM

I got my D800E from Berger Bros but placed the order far before any specs were available. I'm with Victor - given the short supply I would not have sold my D300 until the D800 was in hand.

I'd look for a D800 at merchants who do not keep a wait list - like Best Buy or a small store that has filled their pre-orders already.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#4. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Sun 13-May-12 03:19 PM

I got my D800 from Berger Brothers, but I got on their list a year ago so I am not sure that is very helpful in your case. I have found them to be very honest and responsible.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#5. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 4

Gardenerbob Registered since 05th Dec 2007
Sun 13-May-12 06:21 PM

I ordered the D800 the first day after the announcement. In fact, it wasn't even in the system yet.
I still have not received my camera yet. And BBros. will not give me any indication of where I am on the list nor a delivery window.

I am glad you started this thread, as I was going to do the same.
Had I known you could get on the list before the camera was even created, I would have done so. But Berger Bros. seemed to not offer this option to me...
Seems like BBros. gives preferential treatment to certain customers. Had I known this, I would have ordered from Amazon.
I wanted to support a local dealer, this experience with BBros. is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I did have some warning when I couldn't even see a D700 at the store- I was told it just sold itself and there was no reason to open the box and ruin a perfectly new camera.
Just my opinion,you be the judge.
Bob

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

#6. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Mon 14-May-12 02:24 AM | edited Tue 15-May-12 10:50 PM by DigitalDarrell

In my experience with Berger Bros and Brad Berger over many years, he is one of the most honest and caring camera vendors around. He goes out of his way to help you and works hard to make sure you are happy with your purchase. It is upsetting to me to have the name of one of our Nikonians.org forum supporters, Brad Berger, dragged through the mud over something he has NO control over.

Nikon overwhelmingly underestimated the demand for the Nikon D800 camera. It is sad to me that Brad bears the brunt of this ill will when he has absolutely no control over the quantities Nikon allocates. Remember, you are only one of many thousands who are eagerly seeking a D800. How many phone calls does Berger Bros take every day from people clamoring for a D800? I'd sure hate to have deal with all these angry people blaming the vendor for the manufacturer's sins.

Jean, it is not Brad Berger's fault that you made the poor choice of selling your camera before you had another. I can understand your disappointment and frustration, but don't blame it on Berger Bros.

Bob, in case you weren't aware, Amazon.com is not delivering many Nikon D800s, and are not making promises either. No vendor is doing any better than another when there are not enough cameras and too many buyers. Here's a quote from AMAZON: "Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available." When do you suppose that will be?

Friends, please don't accuse the vendor because Nikon can't deliver sufficient product. Especially not Brad Berger, who is well known for extra-caring customer service. He'd be very happy to sell you as many D800s as you'd like--if he could get any!

I got my Nikon D800 at www.Berger-bros.com and I highly recommend their stores for REAL customer service.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

Randy1949

Hazel Green, US
45 posts

#7. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 6

Randy1949 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009
Mon 14-May-12 09:45 AM

You are in great hands with Brad. He goes the extra mile for his customers and their needs. I have found Brad to be honest and truthful with all my purchases. I only buy from Berger Brothers.

Randy

WhereRu

Pleasant Prairie, US
95 posts

#8. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

WhereRu Basic Member
Mon 14-May-12 11:28 AM

I have had nothing but great service from Berger Brothers. I originally ordered from Berger but found a different vendor (military exchange). I still don't have my camera (supposed to ship tomorrow). No matter where you ordered from there will be delay. Berger is a great outfit to work with.

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#9. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 0

Mon 14-May-12 02:25 PM

I received a phone call from Brad from Berger Brothers who explained the situation with Nikon and I now understand. Berger brothers is trying to help me and they are working hard to help us all obtain this camera.

He has also offered to lend me a camera, which has greatly impressed me. I greatly appreciate his assistance.

As for selling my D300, I perhaps jumped the gun, but did not realize how scarce the D800 is.

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#10. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 9

Mon 14-May-12 07:28 PM

Glad to hear that BBros. has contacted you. I, on the other hand, have not.
Yes, I know that supply is limited. I am simply annoyed that I never had an opportunity to put my name on a list for the D800 before it was announced. I am also nonplussed that a retail store will not have a demonstation model on hand-Especially when they complain that the internet is taking business away from them.

Digital Darrell, I am well aware that most retailers are not getting the D800, I am annoyed by the fact that I was not allowed(Yes, I did try to get on an early list, but was told no such thing existed), in addition to not being able to see a D700 in the store.
Bob

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

#11. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 10

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 14-May-12 08:02 PM

>I am also nonplussed that a retail
>store will not have a demonstation model on hand-Especially
>when they complain that the internet is taking business away
>from them.

How would you feel if you wanted a camera and the only one they had was the floor model and they wouldn't sell it to you?

OK -- maybe you would be OK, but I bet that would make a lot of people fairly angry. I know I've often bought the floor model (or let's say the only copy) of lenses. Very few smaller stores will (for example) stock multiple 14-24 lenses, and that costs less to sit on the shelf than a D800.

And yes, you can rightly say "but won't they sell more if they did"? Perhaps, but they cannot GET more.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#12. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 14-May-12 08:13 PM

So, why have a storefront?
Maybe it is better to buy online, and not sully a new product by having to open it for display.

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#13. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 10

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 14-May-12 08:58 PM

Bob, I think you did have the opportunity to get on their list before the camera was announced. I am not a professional, not with any privilege, and I contacted Lisa at BB more than a year before the announcement and asked her to put me on a list for the future d800 and she did. So, I got one with the first shipment. But, it was definitely not because of any special status. I just asked.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Billsnature

US
27 posts

#14. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 13

Billsnature Registered since 22nd Apr 2012
Tue 15-May-12 12:46 AM

I am still on the list for an D800E from Berger, but I was successful at getting a D800 from Ritz in about 10 days from when I ordered.

Berger Bros was great on other items and is trying the best they can on cameras.

MEMcD

US
31307 posts

#15. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 10

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 15-May-12 04:59 PM

>Glad to hear that BBros. has contacted you. I, on the other
>hand, have not.
Hi Bob,

>I am also nonplussed that a retail
>store will not have a demonstation model on hand-Especially
>when they complain that the internet is taking business away
>from them.

I would bet that you won't find a Demo D800 or D4 at any Nikon Authorized Dealer anywhere outside of Japan unless a Nikon Rep happens to be there for a marketing event.
I didn't see a D3, D700, D3X, or D3s on the shelf at any Nikon Pro Dealers for a year or more after they were introduced. That is the law of supply and demand at work.

>Digital Darrell, I am well aware that most retailers are not
>getting the D800, I am annoyed by the fact that I was not
>allowed(Yes, I did try to get on an early list, but was told
>no such thing existed),

It never hurts to ask questions!

> in addition to not being able to see a
>D700 in the store.

See above. The popularity of the D700 has made it difficult for retailers to keep one on the shelf. Since you are waiting for a camera, if every Dealer was to have a Demo on the shelf, your wait would be even longer than it already is.

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD

US
31307 posts

#16. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 14

Tue 15-May-12 05:34 PM

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your new D800.
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#17. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 15

Tue 15-May-12 06:43 PM

I was going to let this die out, but....

Why should I go to a dealer if I cannot see and inspect merchandise before buying?
When they claim the internet has sucked their sales away, why are they immune from keeping stock on popular items?

I'm sure if you were buying an expensive watch, car, or clothing you would want to try it on before you buy.
It was nice that Brad Berger contact the poster about his camera, I seem to not be on his list despite having placed a deposit on the camera.Since BBros won't give any inclination as to my place in queue, I suspect my post will push me to the back.
I am glad so many have had nothing but pleasant experienced at Berger Bros. My experience leave much to be desired.
NOW...
this topic is dead.
B

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#18. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 17

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 15-May-12 10:27 PM

>I'm sure if you were buying an expensive watch, car, or
>clothing you would want to try it on before you buy.
>It was nice that Brad Berger contact the poster about his
>camera, I seem to not be on his list despite having placed a
>deposit on the camera.Since BBros won't give any inclination
>as to my place in queue, I suspect my post will push me to the
>back.
>I am glad so many have had nothing but pleasant experienced at
>Berger Bros. My experience leave much to be desired.
>NOW...
>this topic is dead.

No it's not, because I don't think you fully grasp how unusual the D800 situation is. Nikon cannot produce sufficient numbers and dealers and distributors are not given any information by Nikon regarding D800 shipments. For example, in Toronto there is not even one dealer with a D800 demo unit. In London England a week and a half ago, only one dealer on Tottenham Court Road (the busiest electronics shopping strip in Europe) had a D800 and he absolutely refused to open the box. I don't know exactly what you were told by BB with respect to a demo model, but I doubt they've ever had one. The customer is not always right.

Stating in this forum that you suspect your "post will push (you) to the back" is baseless, needlessly insulting and disingenuous. BB and every photography equipment dealer I've ever heard of or dealt with have many more important things to concern themselves with than your position on a backorder list.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

paulalex

Norwich, US
13 posts

#20. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 18

paulalex Registered since 31st Jul 2009
Wed 16-May-12 12:02 AM

What I don't understand is why the dealers won't give an approximation where someone is on the list. I understand they don't have information when or how many units they will receive. I would like to know if there is 50 or 500 folks ahead of me.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

#21. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 20

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 16-May-12 12:50 AM

>What I don't understand is why the dealers won't give an
>approximation where someone is on the list. I understand they
>don't have information when or how many units they will
>receive. I would like to know if there is 50 or 500 folks
>ahead of me.

The number of people on a list ahead of you is completely unrelated to any projection about the arrival of your particular camera. A dealer could receive a shipment of one or two units at any time or a shipment of thirty or any number in between. If a store ends up receiving a huge number of units in one shipment (for reasons known only to Nikon) being on a list wth 200 people ahead of you ends up being meaningless. My point is that dealers don't want to get any customer artificially excited or upset by talking about list positions. Even so, some dealers divulge the information.

Too many dealers are spending inordinate amounts of time placating impatient customers. Of course customer relations will suffer in some cases because some normally very persistent customers/squeaky wheels aren't getting the grease in this situation - there simply aren't any cameras to scrounge for a cranky/unreasonable customer - but Nikon and Nikon alone is to 'blame' for these unusually long waits.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wmcy

Charlotte, US
977 posts

#22. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 20

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2006
Wed 16-May-12 12:50 AM | edited Wed 16-May-12 12:52 AM by wmcy

>What I don't understand is why the dealers won't give an
>approximation where someone is on the list. I understand they
>don't have information when or how many units they will
>receive. I would like to know if there is 50 or 500 folks
>ahead of me.

^^^
I think this is a fair question, given the current back-order environment. I'd be interested in fellow Nikonians' perspectives.

Wm.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#23. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 22

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Wed 16-May-12 01:27 AM

>>What I don't understand is why the dealers won't give an
>>approximation where someone is on the list. I understand
>they
>>don't have information when or how many units they will
>>receive. I would like to know if there is 50 or 500 folks
>>ahead of me.
>
>
>^^^
>I think this is a fair question, given the current back-order
>environment. I'd be interested in fellow Nikonians'
>perspectives.
>
>Wm.

I don' think it is unreasonable to expect a dealer to tell you where you stand in the que, as long as you view that information as being entire relative to the unpredictability of or timing and quantity of the dearler's order fultillment by the manufacturer.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#24. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 22

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Thu 17-May-12 04:43 AM

As to where one stands in line - it is irrelevant and does not matter to me. If my business depended on this camera or if it was significantly important to me - then I would be a NPS member and would have been on a list before the camera was even announced.

The great thing with a free market - don't like the dealer, go elsewhere! Great businesses like Berger Brothers has a long tradition of exceeding expectations.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

duh59

Rochester, US
591 posts

#25. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 22

duh59 Silver Member Charter Member
Thu 17-May-12 01:14 PM

Fair question - yes if the dealer knew when their supply (date and number of units) was comming. No otherwise.

I ordered early and when the supply increases, I will get my camera. I am not a pro, and I have other cameras to use while I wait. Good luck to all who really want one, now.

Virge

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#26. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 17

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Thu 17-May-12 02:14 PM

>Why should I go to a dealer if I cannot see and inspect
>merchandise before buying?

Perhaps so that you can talk to knowledgable staff who understand the products and who have time to listen to your questions and give you valuable advice. Perhaps so that you can make an in-person connection that will result in you being treated as something more than a billing detail and shipping address. Perhaps because the local retailers have shorter waiting lists than the trusted Internet retailers and will get you a camera sooner. People find reasons, that's why the better high street stores are still in business despite the unfair market.

You may not have any reasons, in which case you shouldn't necessarily use such a retailer.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

DrGoon

US
36 posts

#27. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 22

DrGoon Registered since 11th Mar 2009
Thu 17-May-12 02:53 PM

Some retailers have responded that they do not wish to disclose the length of their pre-order queues publicly as that would give valuable information to their competitors. Most retailers also don't want customers comparison shopping among waiting lists for pretty obvious reasons.

Don't visit my Nikonians gallery yet. It's empty.

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#28. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 26

Thu 17-May-12 08:46 PM

As a follow up, Brad Berger did contact me today. We talked of many of the things I brought up and had a pleasant conversation, to say the least.
He did agree that I should have been able to see a D700, and that I should have been able to get on the list for the, as that time, unannounced camera.
My deposit does put me in a better position,as it shows I am more committed to purchase than those who only sign on to the buyers list.

Overall, I am very pleased that the owner pursued this and I take back my skeptical posts.
However, some replies to my earlier posts seem a little over solicitous to BBros. and I am glad that some members with agreed that: If there is a list, then any person who is on the list should be able to find out where their place is on it.(Yes, Mr. Berger did find out where I am on the list).
Once again, just my opinion
Gbob

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#29. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 28

Fri 18-May-12 08:13 AM

Wow! I did not realize my post would open up so much dialog.

I think what is difficult for me is not being able to go to my local camera store and talk to someone in person about a camera, etc. The two local camera stores closed because they could not compete with discount stores and internet buying. I would much rather buy locally as when there is a problem with a piece of equipment, I will have the service to fix it.

The fact that Brad called me, impressed me. I do not want to buy an expensive camera only to find there is no service afterwards.

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#30. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 29

Fri 18-May-12 07:32 PM

Hi Jean,
I see from your profile that you live in Maine. Aren't there any closer dealers near you (NH or Mass.)?
Sorry to have sidetracked your thread...
Bob

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#31. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 30

Sun 20-May-12 11:21 AM

I used to go to Rivers Camera in Dover, NH. They are closed. Used to go to Hovey's in Portsmouth, NH. They are closed. Used to go to Eagle Photo in Portsmouth NH, they are all now closed. Yes, purchased camera, films, lens from all three. I always looked at used and new camera. Bought a Pentax ME super (new), Pentax full frame (used and it was very exciting for me to use this camera), Olympus (new) camera from these stores, plus lens, films, etc. I purchased my first digital 35 mn from one of these stores. I even used to go to Abe's of Maine in Biddeford, Maine (bought equipment there).

I could always ask questions, get expert advice, etc. That is no longer the case. Which is why I am impressed this unknown person, Brad would pick up the telephone and call me. I just do not want to buy an expensive camera only to find there is no service.

Camera stores across the country are closing because consumers are always looking for the cheapest price. For me, I would much rather spend more money for something and have service afterwards.

PhotoSpydie

Buckeye, US
226 posts

#32. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 31

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011
Mon 21-May-12 11:35 PM

I agree!!! I ordered the D800 from B&H. Many emails thanking me and reassuring me. But, I like the local fare. Drove to Sedona to a very small camera shop, Rollies. Asked them if they had the D800. No, but they had sent one out that very morning! I asked if I could be put on their mailing list. "Sure", the gentleman said as he pulled out a lined yellow notepad with one name above mine.

Well, my support of locally owned stores paid off. In three days he called and told me my camera was in!!

So, when the price is the same it is a no brainer. If the price is a bit higher I consider it as paying forward. I am glad you feel the way you do.

Carol
photospydie.com

Gardenerbob

Locust Valley, US
149 posts

#33. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 32

Sat 02-Jun-12 06:37 PM

Well, I finally got the call!
Mr. Berger informed me my D800 arrived and that I could pick it up.
Many thanks to Berger Bros. and especially Brad Berger, who took the time to call me and explain things.
So, I am glad to have supported my local Nikon retailer.
Bob

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#34. "RE: D800 Availability: Berger Brothers" | In response to Reply # 33

Sun 03-Jun-12 11:33 AM

Outstanding. Let us hope that rend continues.

G