Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
175 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008
Thu 27-Dec-12 06:05 PM

Well, my D800 (Christmas pressie to self) arrived today, one day before it was expected (I ordered it on Boxing Day). After charging the battery I was so eager to get started that I just grabbed the camera and pointed it at the first likely subject, which happened to be one of the cats sitting on the dining table (well, where else would a dignified lady cat sit?). In my haste I didn't even check the settings (which turned out to be ISO 100, f2.8 - hence the shallow depth of field - 1/60s) - I simply popped up the flash, pointed and pressed the button. No way to treat a D800, I'll agree, but it didn't turn out too badly - now I'm busy setting it up the way I want it (reading Darrell Young's new book on the D800/800E). Socks (cat) didn't seem bothered by having a flash go off in her face (our cats are used to it) and I was very pleased to see that in spite of using the pop-up flash there was no 'green-eye' (version of red-eye which occurs in animals who have a tapetum lucidum (layer of tissue which reflects light back through the retina, creating the superior night vision of animals such as cats)even though I was quite close to the cat and she was looking directly at the camera. Quite pleased with the result, even if it is a bit basic.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

JonK

New York, US
6409 posts

#1. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 0

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004
Thu 27-Dec-12 06:17 PM

Why are you wasting your time online if you have a brand new D800 sitting there???

Congrats! You are going to love it!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
175 posts

#2. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 27-Dec-12 06:26 PM

Ha ha! I'm holdiing off until I've got it set up the way I'll usually use it - taking a huge amount of self-control but I've learned from past experience...

Also I'm so tired after all the excitement I think I need to go to bed (but tomorrow is another day!)

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

- Artemus Ward

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

#3. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 2

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Sat 29-Dec-12 02:14 AM

Ww- I think this shot looks Fab-Congrat's!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

winclk

philadelphia, US
119 posts

#4. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 3

winclk Registered since 15th Jan 2007
Sat 29-Dec-12 06:01 AM

Nice looking first shot. Congrats on the camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD

US
31609 posts

#5. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 0

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:10 AM

Hi Lesley,

Congratulations on your new D800.
I am sure you will be as happy with it as I am with mine.
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikonians!

Best Regards,
Marty

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#6. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sun 30-Dec-12 10:14 AM

Leslie,

I am SO jealous for you!! I remember the anticipation and excitement surrounding my 'new arrival'. It's been since March when I got my D800 and although some of the excitement has gone (10,000 clicks so far) I am still having a lot of fun with the camera and sometimes do as you did and just start shootings things around the house to 'play' a little. It really is a great feeling ...and I am sure that like me and others, you will be 'giddy' about the D800 for some time to come. There are so many things that it can do....and do VERY WELL. I reenergized myself with my recent purchase of the V1 with the FT1 adapter to use my existing AF-S lenses. Shooting at 500-1377mm is only one more thing I can experiment with now.

I hope you (we) never lose the 'fun factor' with this camera

PS: you said you have cats (we do too) but what's with the 'horse' picture? Was it just a good pic or do you raise/train them?

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
175 posts

#7. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 30-Dec-12 11:09 AM

Hi Dan,

The horse in the picture was one of several that we used to have - he was an Arabian x Warmblood and very photogenic! Sadly no longer with us but never to be forgotten...

Lesley

D4, D800, D600

- Artemus Ward

airlaw

Seattle, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#8. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 0

airlaw Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Sep 2002
Fri 04-Jan-13 08:54 PM

Good for you! Great shot. Could you tell us where you bought it and the first 4 digits of the serial number. I'm still gun shy on the focus problem with there cameras. Maybe Nikon is shipping problem free D800s. Thanks.

Kit

Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, UK
175 posts

#9. "RE: Got my D800 today!" | In response to Reply # 8

Sat 05-Jan-13 06:30 AM

>Good for you! Great shot. Could you tell us where you
>bought it and the first 4 digits of the serial number. I'm
>still gun shy on the focus problem with there cameras. Maybe
>Nikon is shipping problem free D800s. Thanks.

I purchased it through Amazon UK (cheapest available at the time) so it may not be much help to you - the first 4 numbers of the serial no. are: 6052. I must say that so far I haven't come across any focusing problems (just been messing around with the camera up to now, to get to know it a bit, hence no more example pics as yet) or indeed any problems of any kind. Many people on here seem to be enjoying their D800 trouble-free, so I wasn't put off by reports of problems. Maybe the later batches have any teething problems resolved.

D4, D800, D600

- Artemus Ward

G