Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 lost power while shooting

tyoung2010

CA
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tyoung2010 Registered since 09th Dec 2012
Sun 09-Dec-12 09:05 PM

hello all, I need serious help. I just arrived in Cancun, Mexico and was on the bus to the resort taking photos, when all of a sudden, no power. LCD screen is blank. I changed batteries but nothing. I sent a message to Nikon but they are closed right now... please help!!!!

EricBarney

US
32 posts

#1. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 0

EricBarney Registered since 02nd Oct 2012
Sun 09-Dec-12 09:07 PM

You will probably need to supply a bit more information. Does anything show on the control panel? (The LCD screen on top of the body) Does it show the available capacity and type of memory card in the camera? If not, try switching out memory cards. That information is always displayed even with the camera off.

tyoung2010

CA
3 posts

#2. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 09-Dec-12 11:56 PM

No....as i posted in the original post, that the LCD screen is blank, there is nothing....

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4129 posts

#3. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Mon 10-Dec-12 12:10 AM

I had the same thing happen to my D800e about 6 weeks after purchase. When I looked in my bag a day after shooting t was completely dead. Nothing I could do would reset it. Had to send it to Nikon for repair. Obviously a warranty problem, but also a PITA. Fortunately I had a backup.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#4. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 3

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Mon 10-Dec-12 01:12 AM

Gary,
Better not tell him about all the things that went wrong after that. It would really spoil his vacation.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4129 posts

#5. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 4

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Mon 10-Dec-12 01:39 AM

Dave,

Seeing the next round of problems ended up being self inflicted, I don't think the OP should worry about them.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

tyoung2010

CA
3 posts

#6. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 10-Dec-12 02:45 AM

Well the good thing is that I have my D300s with me as well, and my old D60, so I still have 2 cameras, 2 flashes and 2 lenses... but I am so pissed, I had plans on getting some amazing landscape photos with it.

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#8. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 6

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Mon 10-Dec-12 04:23 AM

Try removing the lens and see if it will turn on. There is a chip in most lenses that will shut down the camera if it shorts out.If it turns on then try another lens. Good luck !

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RIW

Kings Lynn, UK
265 posts

#9. "RE: D800 lost power while shooting" | In response to Reply # 0

RIW Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Mon 10-Dec-12 09:51 PM

Hi,

It sounds like the problem with my D3S at 4 months old or so. Totally dead from one shot to the next. Nikon replaced the circuit board as far as I can tell. Within two days of having it and their being back from a break last Christmas. So obviously it was not a mystery or complicated for them. Like new thereafter.

Good Luck! Roderick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G