Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008
Fri 23-Nov-12 08:53 PM

This is the second part of the tiny little dots on the photos.

I took my D800 to the dealer I purchased this camera from. I explained the tiny dots and also the what looked like scratches on the photo. The dealer has had the camera since November 12. I was told by the clerk who took my camera that "Nikon has had problems with oil on the sensor and this is a well known problem". I was then told that the camera would be shipped to California because they did not want to send anything to Mellville because of the hurricane.

Today I called about the status of my camera repair, and I was told that the camera was sent to Mack Camera as the clerk wrote the repair ticket as "seƱor cleaning", even though the ticket states "manufacturers repair". The store sent my camera to New Jersey to get "cleaned" by Mack Camera. The store says it has no idea when my camera will be returned.

I am veyr upset this store did not do what it said it would, which was to send the camera back to Nikon. I am concerned someone other than Nikon is working on my camera while it is still under warranty. Can anyone tell me if by Mack Camera now fixing my camera, will this void my warranty with Nikon?

And not being told when the camera will be returned is also upsetting as I have photos to take next weekend.

Thoughts by nikonians would be helpful.

Thank you!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

danshep

Olympia, US
1629 posts

#1. "RE: D800 repair" | In response to Reply # 0

danshep Gold Member Charter Member
Fri 23-Nov-12 10:49 PM

The only thing I can say Eliot, is that Nikon is not at all, a fast turn-around.

I dropped (CAN you believe it) my 28-70mm D zoom and the zoom ring would not longer operate. It took about a month or two, before it was returned. The repairs were good and I paid $800 to repair a lens, which cost $1500.

I am just saying, that at this time of year, it may be even longer to wait, but have patience.

Dan

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#2. "RE: D800 repair" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 24-Nov-12 08:36 AM

My primary concern is not the length of time it is taking. My primary concern is that the dealer sent my camera to Mack Camera which extends the warranty before they sent the camera to Nikon.

I am concerned that by sending my camera to Mack Camera first, this may void my warranty by Nikon. I am looking for info on this and if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Glad your lens was repairable.

I've done some really stupid things............once taxied my airplane into my husband's pickup truck............yup.......didn't see the truck. Thank god the prop was wooden, otherwise I would not be writing this post.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

#3. "RE: D800 repair" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 24-Nov-12 10:26 AM

If the camera is not disassembled by Mack, it should be OK since a basic cleaning is no more intrusive than if you cleaned it yourself, which Nikon would consider a "user maintenance item".
If they get into the cameras, however, Nikon could and likely would void the warranty. Talk to the manager of the store and tell him that he is responsible for any future repair needs during the warranty period of the camera if Nikon voids the warranty.

I have never used Mack but I am wary of any shop that takes in everything from complex pro cameras to hair driers and clock radios. I can't imagine they hire techs who are that specialized and trained, from my own perspective of having a large specialty warranty station for years.

A more immediate problem is that Mack is in limited operation and their database used to show order status is still down, so it would have been faster sending it to Melville which was not down due to the Hurricane.
So the store messed up in two ways, sending it to a non-warranty station and sending it to one that is down due to the hurricane, when the proper place for service was not. Have them give you a loaner for your trip, or threaten to reveal their name on a forum with 300,000 members.

In the future, you should consider cleaing yourself. It is not hard or dangerous to the camera. The sensor is not cleaned in a cleaning since it is safely covered up by the AA filter. The AA filter is made of lithium niobate which has a hardness of 5.5 mohs so it is more scratch resistant than tooth enamel or steel.
The mirror is made of glass so it even harder. Your chanced of scratching either is low unless you are cleaning in in a dusty diamond mine.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#4. "RE: D800 repair" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 24-Nov-12 06:17 PM

Thank you for your response. You confirmed my concerns.

The dealer gave me a D3x to use while my camera is in "repair". A big disappointment and I do not like the camera, but at least I can get some photos of the recently arrived snow geese from the tundra. A very exciting time to photo these beautiful birds.

As for me cleaning my camera, I might consider in the future.

I really appreciate your response.

eliot3b4

Eliot, US
134 posts

#5. "RE: D800 repair" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 30-Nov-12 06:33 AM

I received my camera back yesterday! Whew!

All appears well and I will know for certain the status of my camera after I do some photo shoots later today.

The dealer knows they made a huge error and I am just glad they finally recognized their error. I very much appreciate their efforts.

G