Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Daylight Savings Time

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Sun 04-Nov-12 11:51 AM

In the setup menu on my D800 I had daylight savings time set to "On". When I checked the time, it is still 1 hour ahead. I thought the point of setting this to "On" was so that the camera would automatically set the clock back one hour.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

wmarkle

King City ON, CA
76 posts

#1. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 0

wmarkle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Sun 04-Nov-12 11:46 AM

That setting is just a switch to turn daylight saving time on and off. So now that the saving time is history for this year, switch the setting to off and your time will be one hour less.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#2. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 1

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 04-Nov-12 11:59 AM

That's for reminding me I need to reset my cameras!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#3. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 1

Sun 04-Nov-12 12:13 PM | edited Sun 04-Nov-12 12:17 PM by DAJolley

That doesn't make sense. If I have to go into the setup menu and select off to change the time, why have the setting at all? Darrel Young's D800 book says on page 309 ""If you select "On", your camera will automatically spring forward or fall back." The Nikon manual says the same thing.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

wmarkle

King City ON, CA
76 posts

#4. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 3

wmarkle Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009
Sun 04-Nov-12 12:27 PM

It does make sense when the following facts are considered. The D800 does not have a wireless connection, nor a GPS. Therefore it does not have communication or location and given that DST and ST change dates are changed by decree, there is no method of making it automatic.

My iPod and iPad are both automatic, so it can be done in a portable device.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#5. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 3

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Sun 04-Nov-12 12:27 PM

When you select "On" the camera time moves ahead 1 hour; when you select "Off" it moves back one hour. My D3s, D700 and D800e all behave that way. Perhaps the explanations that you have read are unclear.

Since DST application is different in different regions of the world, not to mention within the US, this seems like a sensible approach.

Having to change it twice a year also give you a chance to reset you camera's time, since these things aren't 100% accurate. My D700, for instance, has gained about a minute vs my D3s and my cellphone.

This is a pretty trivial matter, isn't it?

Mick
or

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#6. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 5

Sun 04-Nov-12 12:56 PM

You're all correct, I noticed this same thing with with my other Nikons. The reference in the Nikon manual and Darrel's book indicate that setting it to "On" makes the change "automatic".
Why have the setting if you have to go into the settings menu anyway to change the time?
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#7. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 04-Nov-12 01:12 PM

>You're all correct, I noticed this same thing with with my
>other Nikons. The reference in the Nikon manual and Darrel's
>book indicate that setting it to "On" makes the
>change "automatic".
>Why have the setting if you have to go into the settings menu
>anyway to change the time?
>Dave

Dave,

When you set it to "On", the camera automatically applies a 1 hour advance; "Off" does the opposite. It just keeps you from "manually" having tor reset the clock by 1 hour. You can leave it on or off and change the clock time yourself, if you prefer. It accomplishes the same thing.

Mick
or

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#8. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 3

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 04-Nov-12 01:44 PM

Daylight Savings Time is controlled by the governments as to whether or not to use it and when it starts and ends.

Many countries do not use Day Light Savings Time, and of those that do they all do not use the same date in all countries. Even if a country uses a date like first Saturday of November, that country does not need to use that date next year. The U.S., except for the sections that do not use DST, changed the DST dates under George W. Bush.

Not all locations within a U.S. time zone use DST so there is even very local implementation of DST.

Because of the above facts it is hard to provide a long term program solution for DST.

Computers and cell phones are regularly synchronizing there internal clock with a network controlled clock. When the U.S. changed the national policy on DST Microsoft and other computer OS providers had to scramble to get patched software out in time.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#9. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Sun 04-Nov-12 03:12 PM

A toggle for moving an hour either way is kind of stupid. It's just as easy to go change the hour ahead or back by one.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

#10. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 04-Nov-12 03:19 PM

Well, I find it convenient and faster than changing the hour itself.

But, I may well be stupid.

Mick
or

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#11. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 9

Sun 04-Nov-12 03:36 PM

One man's opinion. DST does not serve to save energy like it did when started during the First World War to provide daylight for manufacturing companies and save lighting cost since now most factories do not have skylights and run electric lights during all working hours. Although it does appear to effect bar and restaurant sales.

For a lot of industries and services that require time coordination around the world, time is many times recorded in UTC, Universal Time Coordinate, and the local offset for adjustment to local time or a notation about the local time zone.

You are free to adjust your camera anyway you want, but the use of the DST on or off will adjust the time zone offset recorded in the EXIF.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

DAJolley

US
1300 posts

#12. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 11

Sun 04-Nov-12 04:05 PM

George,
You have pointed out the only reason this setting exists, to record the time offset in exif. I checked the Nikon site and they confirm it isn't designed to "automatically" change the time even though that is what my manual says.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#13. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 12

Sun 04-Nov-12 04:10 PM | edited Sun 04-Nov-12 04:22 PM by gkaiseril

Nikon manuals are notoriously poorly written or translated.

Experience is the best teacher.

When one attaches a GPS to the camera and the GPS data is recorded it is more important to the camera clock and GPS to be set in the same manner to avoid confusion by other users or viewers of the images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#14. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 10

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Sun 04-Nov-12 06:55 PM

The 'stupid' wasn't directed at anyone.

I've never even cared about the time stamp on my images. As long as the first one I take in a shoot is stamped before the one taken after it, everything imports just fine and I'm happy.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Nature Watcher

UK
8 posts

#15. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 13

Nature Watcher Registered since 07th Feb 2011
Tue 06-Nov-12 01:17 PM

If you attach a GPS to the camera, the camera usually updates it's clock automatically, and will still show the current time with or without daylight savings. However, if you want to geotag your pictures later, with a track from an independent GPS (which can be useful, as it saves camera battery, and the GPS may be used for other things) then using the Universal time means that the images and gps can be married properly.

I was able to geotag my South Africa images (from my D200s and a compact) from 2010 using the gps track I kept of our routes through Kruger National Park. It took a bit of fiddling around because back then I had set the cameras to GMT, but the gps showed local time. What I should have done was set the cameras to the correct time zone, then the geotagging in Lightroom would have put them in the right place at the first attempt. But back in 2010 I had no idea that geotagging would be possible.

Hope that makes sense.

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

#16. "RE: Daylight Savings Time" | In response to Reply # 3

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 06-Nov-12 01:46 PM

>Darrel Young's D800 book says on page 309 ""If
>you select "On", your camera will automatically
>spring forward or fall back." The Nikon manual says the
>same thing.

And they're both accurate. Problem, to you and me and most other people, automatic tends to mean that one doesn't have to manual throw the swith. Unfortunately, in this case, "automatically" means that throwing the switch on will advance the camera's time setting one hour at the moment you throw the switch. The time will automatically fall back one hour at the moment you turn off the switch. It's counterintuitive, no doubt, especially since the hour wheel is right there are can be advanced or turned back just as easily.

The DST feature is brought to you by Nikon's Department of Redundancy Department. FWIW, every other current Nikon body, and every Canon and Fujifulm body I've checked work exactly the same way.

What I have not checked is whether a Nikon body connected by USB cable to ViewNX2 will do an automatic DST update via the computer's Internet connection. So I think I'll check that right now.

(Pause...............)

AH-HAH!!

In the file transfer dialog in ViewNX2, there's a a checkbox to "Synchronize camera date and time to computer when camera is connected (supported cameras only)." But the feature is poorly designed, because when I clicked (helpfully provided) the "Synchronize Now" button in the dialog, the time updated but did not turn off DST. So I then turned off DST in the D800 menu and of course the time fell back one hour, which means the camera was one hour behind.

It's an unimpressive feature in the camera, and it's a remarkably dumb feature in Nikon Transfer 2.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

G