Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 File Numbering Sequence Gone Bonkers

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007
Fri 26-Oct-12 03:52 AM

Hello, Everyone!

After a long absence of a couple years from the Nikonians community, I am happy to be back to make new friends, get re-acquainted with old ones, and hopefully be able to contribute to the Nikonians community!

But first, I'm gonna need some help of my own ;)

I recently upgraded from a D80 to a D800 and have been loving everything about it! But something has left me scratching my head. The day I received the D800, I took several test photos to familiarize myself with the camera. The following day, after taking a few more photos, I checked the file number, which was DSC_0075. Then, six hours later after returning from dinner out with the family (and having taken some more pics during dinner), I noticed that the next file number after DSC_0075 was DSC_8830!

How is this possible?! I did not shoot 8,755 pictures while at dinner. I did not have the camera set to time lapse. And I did not accidentally have the shutter depressed. So what may have happened?

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

RECONLEY

Marietta, US
585 posts

#1. "RE: D800 File Numbering Sequence Gone Bonkers" | In response to Reply # 0

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012
Fri 26-Oct-12 10:07 AM | edited Fri 26-Oct-12 10:07 AM by RECONLEY

Did you put a different card into the D800, possibly one that had not been formatted in the D800. If so, the body will pickup with the last file numbers on a used card, I have been told.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kgmd135

US
1 posts

#2. "RE: D800 File Numbering Sequence Gone Bonkers" | In response to Reply # 1

kgmd135 Registered since 12th Oct 2012
Fri 26-Oct-12 07:22 PM

>Did you put a different card into the D800, possibly one that
>had not been formatted in the D800. If so, the body will
>pickup with the last file numbers on a used card, I have been
>told.
>
>
The exact same thing happened to my new D800 camera when I sent it in to Nikon to have my focus fixed. When it returned, my file numbers had increased by 1500. Evidently, when the camera was serviced, the camera picked up count from the CF card they had used. ~There is a reset on file numbering on the D800 that can start it over again @ 1.~

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#3. "RE: D800 File Numbering Sequence Gone Bonkers" | In response to Reply # 2

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Fri 26-Oct-12 09:31 PM

You can also reset it by using your card and taking another image.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

OMMBoy

San Diego, US
678 posts

#4. "RE: D800 File Numbering Sequence Gone Bonkers" | In response to Reply # 1

OMMBoy Registered since 22nd Feb 2007
Fri 26-Oct-12 10:34 PM

You're absolutely right! OMG! I feel so stupid! I just got home from work and and checked the last file number on my D80 and, sure enough, it was DSC_8829! How embarrassing! I've gone and reset the numbers and all is right again! I actually thought at one point that I had received a used D800! LOL!

Thank you all for your help!

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

G