Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice need from fellow Nikonions

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Mon 22-Oct-12 07:43 PM

I bought my D800 late July, and never thought I had the left focus problem, as most to all of my shooting is through the view finder. I did test's only through that shooting method and thought all was fine. Well in early September my wife went to the hospital for 3 stent's after triple bypass from June, so my shooting was on hold. I finally got a chance, this past weekend to REALLY check out if "all was right" It is not. Live view has the LF issue, but through the view finder does not. So my question is, should I jump on this, or wait till things settle down to send it in. Does anyone know the turnaround time for this, at this point in time? I would like to think it will get better first of the year....comments?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#1. "RE: Advice need from fellow Nikonions" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Mon 22-Oct-12 06:12 PM

This is the first case I have come across where the phase detect autofocus (viewfinder) is good but contrast detect (Live View) had a problem. The typical reported case is the reverse. As such, you might want to provide some additional information regarding your testing and maybe post some examples.
As far as I understand, the contrast detection uses the actual sensor data and thus there is no real "AF sensor". In particular, there is no left, center or right AF sensor.
In any event, if you sent your D800 to Nikon, I don't see that it would simply be sent through the "Left Focus" procedure since yours is not the issue that everyone else is experiencing.

Brian

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#2. "RE: Advice need from fellow Nikonions" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 22-Oct-12 06:18 PM

Interesting, I also thought the exact same, so tomorrow I will provide pic's and testing data. I have read SO much on this and do believe my testing methods are correct. All I want to do is shoot !!! LOL But after 3K I want them to be accurate!!! Thank you very much for your reply. I am getting tired of taking pic's of test charts.

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#3. "RE: Advice need from fellow Nikonions" | In response to Reply # 2

Tue 23-Oct-12 01:38 PM

Re did testing, all is well. Apparently (looking at yesterdays results)Although I was sure that the left focus point had achieved focus in live view, it had not. Re shot today and made sure of that situation. Using a wireless remote, yesterday, today went with delay and MUP. And as stated earlier I am not as proficient with live view as I should be. Thanks again.

MEMcD

US
31270 posts

#4. "RE: Advice need from fellow Nikonions" | In response to Reply # 3

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Sat 27-Oct-12 03:05 AM

Hi Wayne,

Glad to here All is well with your camera.
Thanks for the follow up.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

G