Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing

johnhfeb

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johnhfeb Registered since 04th Oct 2012
Tue 16-Oct-12 04:44 AM

Hi all,

I am new here and really enjoy the forum.

I would like to ask D800/e users if you have same noise when jiggle the camera lightly, or when turn the camera from horizontal to vertical swiftly.

As soon as the flash's raised, the noise disappears. Nothing serious, but it's very annoying.

NASattack

Dartford, UK
177 posts

#1. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 0

NASattack Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2008
Tue 16-Oct-12 03:35 AM

Hi John,

Yes it seems to be normal for the D800.
Mine does it and others have reported the same rattle that goes away when the flash is raised.

Welcome to Nikonians.

Steve.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johnhfeb

US
2 posts

#2. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 1

johnhfeb Registered since 04th Oct 2012
Tue 16-Oct-12 03:45 AM

Thank you, Steve.

I feel better to know it's a common problem. But still a bit annoyed.

John

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#3. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 2

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 16-Oct-12 04:26 AM

It is the scissor metal linkage on either side of flash unit that hinges to raise and lower the flash. It is normal and there is no problem.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#4. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 3

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Tue 16-Oct-12 07:56 AM

Yep...mine too. I don't ever notice it anymore. Just shoot away!!! Welcome to the Forum...

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#5. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 16-Oct-12 11:15 AM

Every Nikon I've owned has done it. Concerning when you first hear it, but it's fine.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

FL_Investor

US
31 posts

#6. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 5

FL_Investor Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Wed 17-Oct-12 01:33 AM

I was told that the rattle comes from a little gyro ball that
transfers the info about the position (leveling) of the camera.

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

#7. "RE: D800e - Rattling sound inside flash housing" | In response to Reply # 0

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Wed 24-Oct-12 03:29 AM

John,
Back in May I posted my problem with the noise which you can read about here:

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=430&topic_id=7527&prev_page=show_topic&gid=7527#12956

From my experience, there are two drastically different levels of noise involved. My current D800 does make a rattle if you shake it, but it's very minor and I don't even think about it.

But, my first D800 sounded like something was broken in it. Just gently tipping the camera created a loud sound like something was rolling around in the flash housing. While this is not a problem for still photography, it was a real problem for video, since it was picked up easily and amplified by the internal mic. I sent that one back, and the replacement has a "normal" level of noise, which as I said, is not a problem for video.

If this is a new purchase, and you have a chance to return or exchange it, I suggest you get your hands on another D800/E body for comparison. If they both sound the same, then what you are hearing is probably the norm, and you'll quickly forget about it.

But if yours is much louder, then you probably have the same probliem I did with my first one, and I would exchange it for a new one while you have that option. Or, you can send it to Nikon for repair under warranty. The D800/E is an excellent camera, and I know you want to feel good about your investment. I understand how annoying that first sound was, even if you don't shoot video. Replacing my first one was a hassle, but I am glad I did.

I hope this helps.

Dave

G