Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated

venusian

US
186 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sat 29-Sep-12 08:32 PM

I just received a brand new D800E. Using a reformatted compact flash card, I took 45 shots to test things out. Most were JPEGs, several were RAW. Total pictures taken were 45 according to the _DSC file information.

I then went to Photoshop and looked up the actual actuations of the camera. The number was 64...19 additional pictures taken by the camera, but not by me.

Do cameras come off the assembly line and then some test pictures are taken to make sure everything is working OK.?

Thanks.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#1. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated" | In response to Reply # 0

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Sat 29-Sep-12 07:08 PM

What difference does it make? Does the camera work properly?

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

venusian

US
186 posts

#2. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 29-Sep-12 07:11 PM | edited Sat 29-Sep-12 07:13 PM by venusian

Camera works fine, Russ. I'm just trying to add to my knowledge base with some answers that others might have experience with.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#3. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 2

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 29-Sep-12 08:07 PM

Straight from the factory all Nikon DSLRs will show zero exposures and require setting the timezone when you first power it up. Your camera has obviously been used; maybe as an in store demo or by a user who decided to return it.

Note that the number in the EXIF data is shutter cycles. Shutter cycles can be more than the number of pictures. Things like going into and out of LiveView without taking a picture, in camera HDR, multiple exposure images, or setting a preset WB can all cause extra shutter cycles.

As Russ says, if everything is OK, why worry.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

venusian

US
186 posts

#4. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 3

Sat 29-Sep-12 08:48 PM

Gary, that was very helpful. It may have something to do with going in and out of live view to learn how to use it (no pictures taken) prior to doing my focus point testing.

Also, I did get a blinking message to set the time zone after turning the camera on the first time. However, I did not address this until I took about 45 pictures in P mode to make sure the camera worked, no focus issues, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. It was helpful.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#5. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 4

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sat 29-Sep-12 10:12 PM | edited Sat 29-Sep-12 10:14 PM by gpoole

After thinking about it more, I realized that LiveView always creates more extra cycles than I mentioned above. In LiveView you have to open the shutter to start LiveView, then for each LiveView image, the shutter must close before the exposure, then open and close for the exposure, then open again. Finally when you exit LiveView the shutter must close again. This makes the shutter cycles in LiveView equal to 2 times the LiveView images plus 1.

Opening the shutter for sensor cleaning is another extra cycle.

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#6. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Sun 30-Sep-12 03:01 AM

To take the guesswork out, look at the very first image that you took with this camera. See how many actuations are in the EXIF for that image. Reviewing the EXIF of later images doesn't really tell you anything, as was already posted it includes life view actuations.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5036 posts

#7. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 5

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Sun 30-Sep-12 07:32 AM

>After thinking about it more, I realized that LiveView always
>creates more extra cycles than I mentioned above. In LiveView
>you have to open the shutter to start LiveView, then for each
>LiveView image, the shutter must close before the exposure,
>then open and close for the exposure, then open again.
>Finally when you exit LiveView the shutter must close again.
>This makes the shutter cycles in LiveView equal to 2 times the
>LiveView images plus 1.

Don't think this is true for the D800 and other recent Nikon DSLRs. My understanding is that the mirror remains up during exposure rather than cycling back and forth so that in LV you're essentially shooting MUP.

John

venusian

US
186 posts

#8. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated" | In response to Reply # 6

Sun 30-Sep-12 08:49 AM | edited Sun 30-Sep-12 08:50 AM by venusian

Thanks to all of you who have made contributions.

I just evaluated the very first image taken with the camera using Opanda and myshuttercount.com. Both confirm a shutter count of 1.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Most importantly, the camera is working fine. As I accustom myself to its functions and capabilities, I have to admit that the D800E (and the D800) are remarkable technological achievements of human creativity crammed into a relatively small package.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#9. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 7

Sun 30-Sep-12 10:37 AM

John,

Yes the mirror stays up when making images in LiveView, but the shutter still cycles as I described.

Because the mirror stays up LiveView is a lot quieter on the D800 than the D300. There's only one LV mode too, none of this tripod and handheld mode differences.

jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5036 posts

#10. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 9

jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Sun 30-Sep-12 11:02 AM

Ah you're right. I read something into your reply that wasn't there.

John

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#11. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuated" | In response to Reply # 8

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Mon 01-Oct-12 03:25 PM

Great. If the camera works fine and shows no sign of wear and tear, I would just enjoy it.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

txstone12

Texas, US
630 posts

#12. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 5

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Mon 01-Oct-12 10:28 PM

>After thinking about it more, I realized that LiveView always
>creates more extra cycles than I mentioned above. In LiveView
>you have to open the shutter to start LiveView, then for each
>LiveView image, the shutter must close before the exposure,
>then open and close for the exposure, then open again.
>Finally when you exit LiveView the shutter must close again.
>This makes the shutter cycles in LiveView equal to 2 times the
>LiveView images plus 1.

Gary, I don't understand the rationale for the +1 ' ... The shutter must close before the exposure'. The mirror is up (unless you're using flash) according to Thom and from everything I read the D800 and Nikon do not have an 'electronic first shutter curtain'. So I don't see a rationale or a reference for why this extra shutter closure is necessary?

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

#13. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 12

Mon 01-Oct-12 10:55 PM | edited Mon 01-Oct-12 10:57 PM by gpoole

Before you go into LiveView, the shutter is closed. When you start LiveView the shutter opens to expose the sensor. When you finish LiveView the shutter must close again because the shutter covers the sensor during normal viewing. That's the +1.

For each exposure in LiveView the shutter closes before the exposure. At this point the sensor is cleared to make it ready to record the image. Then the shutter opens and closes for the exposure. The sensor data is recorded and then the shutter opens again to resume LiveView. That's the 2x

For LiveView mirror only makes one cycle regardless of the number of exposures made during LiveView. It flips up out of the way of the sensor at the beginning and flips back down for normal viewfinder use ant the end of LiveView.

txstone12

Texas, US
630 posts

#14. "RE: New D800E camera came with 19 pictures actuatedgs like" | In response to Reply # 13

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Thu 04-Oct-12 01:32 AM

Gary,

Nick was happy with responses he received here re his camera, so this shutter count explanation became a side topic. I posted some observed shutter counts, still in need of explanation, here

https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=17725&mesg_id=17725&page=

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G