Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Autofocus Repair Success?

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006
Mon 20-Aug-12 08:52 PM

Who here has sent their camera in for repair?

What is the reapir code on your invoice?

(Mine was SC201117)

Was the repair sucessful?

Mine was not.

I'm hoping we can share this information with each other and somehow learn if the cameras are coming back fixed.

BTW, Nikon had examined my post-repair photos and sent me a label to send the camera back. Today they said to NOT send it back; they are having Japan look at the images and they will let me know what they find out. They have stated there seems to be "some kind of problem." I'm curious about this.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

critidoc

Kingsville, US
297 posts

#1. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 0

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Tue 21-Aug-12 06:24 AM

I sent in twice a d800 serial# 30016xx for repair, b1 repair, SC 201759.
Each time it came back worse than when it went in, plus the last time the USB did not work, eventually changed for a d800E than seems to work fine

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#2. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 1

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Tue 21-Aug-12 08:57 AM | edited Tue 21-Aug-12 09:00 AM by gqtuazon

>I sent in twice a d800 serial# 30016xx for repair, b1 repair,
>SC 201759.

That's a little odd. I just got a confirmation from Nikon Service center from El Segundo, CA. and they gave me a code 25498 and a "B2" service code: moderate repair, moderate parts replaced instead of minor parts replaced for B1.

Before I was told to send my camera, I sent them five images starting from the middle to the extreme left. I also asked them to read the link below as an added reference with regards to the D800 AF issue and they thank me for sharing the link.

D800E ser # 3001xxx. Problem: Back focus or inaccurate AF.

http://hifivoice.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/d800-autofocus-repair-overview/

Regards,

Glenn

critidoc

Kingsville, US
297 posts

#3. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 2

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007
Tue 21-Aug-12 11:42 AM

Just got this from nikon tech service:
I do apologize for the delay in getting your D800 issue resolved. Nikon Japan is researching the issue and unfortunately we have no more information at this time. Once we have a clear course of action we'll let you know. Thanks for your patience.

-David

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#4. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 3

Tue 21-Aug-12 11:50 AM

Thanks for sharing. This indicates the development is not "personal," and they need more help.

Sure is making me curious. Why are they telling us this v. Just having us send the camera back in? What information could they be getting from my photos?

One theory is they are recognizing that the "official" repair procedure is not working?

Good communication would be helpful here.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#5. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 4

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 21-Aug-12 12:34 PM

Let keep beating this issue to death!

Nikon is researching the problem and working on a solution. Why have everyone send their cameras in when they haven't nailed down the official fix 100%. Clearly, some cameras have a bigger issue than others.

Seems to me they have communicated what is going on and not provide mere guesses, nor encouraged people to send in cameras until they know they can fix your problem. That way you can still get some use out of the camera, although not a fully as you might like. Would you rather they held onto your camera for 6 or 8 weeks?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#6. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 21-Aug-12 02:13 PM

I don't want them to hold onto the camera for 6-8 weeks. My preference would be for a working camera, which is in their power to provide.

No need for any beatings. Open communication among those who are interested in a (clearly identified) thread topic is one of the strong benefits of a forum like this.

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

#7. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 3

rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Tue 21-Aug-12 04:39 PM

>Just got this from nikon tech service:
>I do apologize for the delay in getting your D800 issue
>resolved. Nikon Japan is researching the issue and
>unfortunately we have no more information at this time. Once
>we have a clear course of action we'll let you know. Thanks
>for your patience.

Interesting. The status for my service ticket on MyNikon was switched to "researching" today.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#8. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 7

Tue 21-Aug-12 05:11 PM

Thanks to all for this info. A respected Nikon expert who's tracking this issue said the Japan/research development is news to him.

Let's hope this represents a process/procedure change that will correct this situation.

Pure speculation -- An investigation in Japan should not take so long as to delay sending it in for repair. Plus, the idea that NOW Japan is getting (more) involved at an individual camera level is a puzzle. In any case it seems like there is new energy around this at Nikon.

RockyIII

Raleigh, US
3272 posts

#9. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 0

RockyIII Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 27th May 2006
Tue 21-Aug-12 05:58 PM

I sent my D800 to Nikon in Melville, and the turnaround was 16 days. The repair was properly done, and the autofocus (left, middle, right) is now working well. Since then, I sold it to another Nikonian. Here is the description of work done:

B1
ADJ DEFOCUS CONTROL
ADJ AUTOFOCUS OPERATION
CKD COMMUNICATION
CLN CCD
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN

Rocky

venusian

US
186 posts

#10. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 9

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Tue 21-Aug-12 09:35 PM | edited Tue 21-Aug-12 09:43 PM by venusian

I don't find comments about beating the repair issue to death helpful. There are D800 camera owners out there who are truly interested in obtaining a better understanding of their camera's defect(s) and the efforts Nikon is making to fix them.

Quite frankly, after reading many posts, I can understand D800 owners wanting more information from Nikonians. Cameras have been sent in for repair and have come back repaired, the same or worse.

So far as I know, Nikon has yet to take formal ownership of the left focus issue problem. And their open ended/fuzzy responses at times can be frustrating. Asking a D800 owner to pay for the shipping adds insult to injury. IMO, Nikon simply has not handled this issue well so it seems perfectly plausible for others to seek a better understanding of what's going on from other Nikonians.

I, for one, follow these threads with interest, because I am interested in upgrading from a D700 to the D800E. As such, this kind of information is very helpful to me, and perhaps to others for the same or different reasons.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#11. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 10

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Tue 21-Aug-12 09:52 PM | edited Tue 21-Aug-12 09:57 PM by mklass

Reporting on the results of sending in a D800 for focus correction is useful. What is totally redundant and pointless is the never-ending discussion and rants about how Nikon is handling this issue, and the tea leave reading about what they are doing.

The other thread in the forum about how this forum is getting boring is spot on. There are far too many message threads about the focus issue.

My D800e arrived 2 weeks ago and is working perfectly fine. I had it checked out before it was delivered and would have returned it immediately was it not right. If someone keeps a defective item instead of returning it for exchange or refund, that person has made their own bed. Quit the bellyaching and just wait until they get the fix properly instituted.

Mick
or

DAJolley

US
1301 posts

#12. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 11

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007
Tue 21-Aug-12 10:27 PM

Mick,
You obviously don't like these threads, why do you keep reading and ranting about them?
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#13. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 12

Tue 21-Aug-12 10:36 PM

>Mick,
>You obviously don't like these threads, why do you keep
>reading and ranting about them?
>Dave Jolley

I am interested in learning about how successful or not people have been with their focus repairs.

It also gives me a chance to tweak your nose.

Mick
or

IntegrityPhotos

Deerfield, US
1253 posts

#14. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 12

IntegrityPhotos Registered since 26th Apr 2006
Tue 21-Aug-12 10:36 PM

Mick
Good response to Mick. Anyone who thinks this is just a minor issue should be reading Thom Hogan's extensive writings and research on it. His current post mentions 320 emails on it this morning. Here's the link:

http://www.bythom.com/

OldPhotos
"If everyone possesses some measure of this intangible quality called creativity, photography is unprecedented as an outlet for its expression." - Ansel Adams

Totex

Houston, Katy, US
360 posts

#15. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 10

Totex Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2012
Wed 22-Aug-12 01:09 AM

>I don't find comments about beating the repair issue to death
>helpful. There are D800 camera owners out there who are truly
>interested in obtaining a better understanding of their
>camera's defect(s) and the efforts Nikon is making to fix
>them.
>
>Quite frankly, after reading many posts, I can understand D800
>owners wanting more information from Nikonians. Cameras have
>been sent in for repair and have come back repaired, the same
>or worse.
>
>So far as I know, Nikon has yet to take formal ownership of
>the left focus issue problem. And their open ended/fuzzy
>responses at times can be frustrating. Asking a D800 owner to
>pay for the shipping adds insult to injury. IMO, Nikon simply
>has not handled this issue well so it seems perfectly
>plausible for others to seek a better understanding of what's
>going on from other Nikonians.
>
>I, for one, follow these threads with interest, because I am
>interested in upgrading from a D700 to the D800E. As such,
>this kind of information is very helpful to me, and perhaps to
>others for the same or different reasons.
>

I agree 100% with you, I'm also on the fence of buying a D800 and find myself not trusting Nikon's answers to the focus problems.

Tony

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#16. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 11

Wed 22-Aug-12 02:52 AM

My camera was purchased from a local retailer. I didn't know about the problem until I read about it here. By then I was out of the return window.

I feel this is quite unlike the dreaded stripes when shooting light bulbs with a D200. Not focusing is a fundamental flaw, and failed repair compounds the issue. I would LOVE to be enjoying full use of the camera instead of watching here for news of progress.

Glad your camera is working fine. Perhaps other threads wouldn't cause you such digital distress?

Anybody else have pertinent information? Please share. Getting word back from Japan is something I look forward to with hope the legendary Japanese "focus" on quality and saving face is manifested here.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#17. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 14

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 22-Aug-12 07:07 AM

In Thom's same post of 21st August, he also says:

"The good news is that Nikon hasn't declared a victory and moved on. They seem intent to get to the bottom of the focus problems and solve them. I still believe they need to be more communicative, but I don't think I can fault them for actions behind the scenes."

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#18. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 17

Wed 22-Aug-12 11:55 AM

Interesting. It's not clear if all 320 emails were about this but the implication is that's the case. That's 320 emails in one day, less the ones Thom could get to from days before. That's a lot of traffic on this topic

The fact that the "analysis" may take "a while" and don't send in the camera could mean a lot of possibilities:

-- The cause is unknown

-- The fix is failing on a widespread basis (they are following a mandated repair protocol that is not producing a resolution.)

-- There are different problems happening

-- They have too much backlog

-- A part is being revised

-- A recall is brewing

In any case it appears this is likely costing Nikon a lot of money in repairs and perhaps even lost sales give comments here about people holding off on purchase. Lost revenue is a powerful corporate motivator for change.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#19. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 18

Wed 22-Aug-12 01:55 PM

Given hte continued backorder status of the D800 at almost all outlets, it's hard to see how sales have been hurt.

While Nikonians is a wonderful place, we are but a small aprt of the Nikon universe, so what happens and is discussed here (and on many other sites that have been cited) is not indicative of what is happening in the broader universe of Nikon buyers/owners. A little perspective is required.

While we are speculating, perhaps Nikon is sick of the D800 already and is soon to release the D800s or D900?

d Mick
or

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#20. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 15

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Wed 22-Aug-12 02:26 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 02:27 PM by Gator Bob

When Nikon announces a confirmed fix I will upgrade my D700 to a D800E.

I cannot comprehend what I view as non-responses to a real problem, including: "there are two sides to this ... or ... my personal D800 works just fine ... or... I can live with my D800's flaws ... or ... give Nikon credit for trying ... or ... if you don't own a D800, shut up. "

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
D700 & SB800 * D800E as soon as Nikon gets its act together
Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm Macro

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#21. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 20

Wed 22-Aug-12 02:34 PM

>When Nikon announces a confirmed fix I will upgrade my D700
>to a D800E.
>
>I cannot comprehend what I view as non-responses to a real
>problem, including: "there are two sides to this ... or
>... my personal D800 works just fine ... or... I can live
>with my D800's flaws ... or ... give Nikon credit for trying
>... or ... if you don't own a D800, shut up. "
>
>Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
>D700 & SB800 * D800E as soon as Nikon gets its act
>together
>Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
>Tamron 90mm Macro

A sound approach, Bob. Don't buy something that will not meet your expectations.

Mick
or

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#22. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 21

Wed 22-Aug-12 03:05 PM

Thank you for your ecumenical view of my decision not to accept a flawed $3300 camera.

Respectfully however, in my opinion your statement that "a little perspective is required" is yet another non-response to very real and fairly widespread D800/E problems.

Tamron 90mm Macro

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#23. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 22

Wed 22-Aug-12 03:26 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 03:28 PM by mklass

>Thank you for your ecumenical view of my decision not to
>accept a flawed $3300 camera.
>
>Respectfully however, in my opinion your statement that
>"a little perspective is required" is yet another
>non-response to very real and fairly widespread D800/E
>problems.
>
>
>Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
>D700 & SB800 * D800E as soon as Nikon gets its act
>together
>Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
>Tamron 90mm Macro

Perhaps you should buy one, see if you get a good one (as many people have), and return it if you don't. That's what I did, and mine turned out to be a keeper.

I think the odds are that you will get a good camera.

Once you do that, you have a real point of reference, rather just unfounded speculation based on speculation on what might happen if you bought one.

The IS no statistical data on which to base any conclusion about the extent of this problem, at least none that we are privy to. The only thing out there are un-scientific samples and anticdotal accounts. There is a problem, but onlyNikon really know the size of it, the rest of us are makingg assumptions.

or

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#24. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 23

Wed 22-Aug-12 05:26 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 05:27 PM by Gator Bob

Again, I say this respectfully because you offer a reasoned perspective. However, in my opinion the foundation of your logic is mostly wishful thinking. Anyone who reads the entirety of Thom Hogan's D800/E observations plus the experiences of knowledgeable pro photographers can reach only one conclusion: this is NOT a small scale problem.

Therefore, I choose to pass on an D800/E until Nikon gets it right it (and hopefully speaks out about it). Perhaps we can agree that Nikon's ongoing stubborn silence is inexcusable.

Tamron 90mm Macro

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#25. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 24

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 22-Aug-12 06:26 PM

For what it's worth, the top pros I know are still happy buying the D800 and D800E. I know one that just ordered a second D800 and is selling his D4 and D700. The AF issue is limited and clearly identified through testing. If you have one sensor that is off, you still can produce better images with a D800 or D800E than any other Nikon DSLR except maybe the D4. And some D800's do not have any issues.

From my standpoint, the D800E is so far superior to other cameras I would work around a lot of issues rather than give it up. Now I am looking for a solution - but there is no great urgency.

I respect the decision of those who want to wait. Just wanted to offer some perspective from someone who has been using this "defective" camera for nearly 4 months and over 6000 images. It's just not that big a deal.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#26. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 25

Wed 22-Aug-12 06:49 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 06:51 PM by johno

A good perspective. We are all still taking on oxygen and my camera is indeed excellent compared to my beloved D700.

As far as how big a deal the focus problem is -- mine has fewer exposures than yours and comes with a 5 year Mack warranty.

If anybody who has a good camera and thinks this is no big deal, how about we make a swap? You'll get four more years of warranty.

Anyone else with repair info to share, or with more word from Japan or Nikon about your repair?

venusian

US
186 posts

#27. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 26

Wed 22-Aug-12 07:41 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 07:45 PM by venusian

Once again, a thread that could have been helpful to those Nikonians interested in D800 problems and repair issues has been upended, in part, with input from happy owners who don't have D800 problems.

Happy owners, please consider not participating in these kinds of posts. We've read countless times how satisfied you are with the D800/e...even accepting working with a faulty one, the logic of which escapes me.

Johno, your original post has merit and I hope you will get useful/relevant information from the rest of the responses on this thread.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#28. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 27

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Wed 22-Aug-12 07:59 PM

>I hope you will get useful/relevant information from the rest
>of the responses on this thread.

Agreed, but input from happy owners is no less valid than input from unhappy non-owners.

Many of these threads have descended into arguments about how big a issue the left-side AF might be, and intolerance for different points of view. It would be good if we could avoid such problems this time around

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

venusian

US
186 posts

#29. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 28

Wed 22-Aug-12 09:10 PM

I feel the key issue here is focus and relevance as it relates to the original post. Reading over and over again that D800 owners are happy with their cameras (I've done so in many other threads) do not help with johno's questions, concerns, and his valid need to obtain more information about his camera. Nor is it helping me and others gather more data related to the thread's original purpose.

Others have a right to post their viewpoints, but not at the expense of those who are actively engaged in helping other Nikonians with their issues and concerns. I find little-to-no value as it relates to the initial questions raised herein in any of the comments posted in this thread by happy D800/e owners.

We all know that the D800/e are great cameras. However, my specific interest relates to the original/good questions raised by johns and associated comments contributed by other Nikonians.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#30. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 29

Wed 22-Aug-12 09:24 PM

I feel the key issue here is focus and relevance as it relates to the original post. Reading over and over again that D800 owners are happy with their cameras (I've done so in many other threads) do not help with johno's questions, concerns, and his valid need to obtain more information about his camera. Nor is it helping me and others gather more data related to the thread's original purpose. Others have a right to post their viewpoints, but not at the expense of those who are actively engaged in helping other Nikonians with their issues and concerns. I find little-to-no value as it relates to the initial questions raised herein in any of the comments posted in this thread by happy D800/e owners. We all know that the D800/e are great cameras. However, my specific interest relates to the original/good questions raised by johns and associated comments contributed by other Nikonians.

www.nickschmidtphotography.com

You have precisely stated the issue. Nikon-above-all defenders appear to be unwilling to accept 1) that there is a serious problem ..but .. 2 if a problem exists we should ignore it because 3) my D800 is just fine or 4) I can live with its flaws because it's a wonderful camera.

Tamron 90mm Macro

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#31. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 29

Wed 22-Aug-12 09:31 PM

I agree. Talking about the facts about your repair experience and it's success or failure is a worthwhile exercise. Speculating about what Nikon is or isn't doing does not contribute to getting the problem solved or be edit the discussion.

My questions:
How many D800/D800e cameras have been delivered to date?
How many documented cases are there of cameras that focus improperly?
How many of those have been sent in for repair?
How many of those were successfully repaired?

Once we know the answer to that we can know how widespread the problem is.
We know it's there, but how severe?

Mick
or

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#32. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 30

Wed 22-Aug-12 09:41 PM

Bob,

What do you think the odds are that if you bought one you would get a bad camera? How did you come to that conclusion?

Those of us relating our experiences with this camera are try to provide some perspective to the discussion to counteract the relative hysteria surrounding this subject.

Don't discount what we say just because we disagree with your assessment oh of a hypothetical conclusion that you have drawn.

Show me some reliable numbers as I suggest in my other post. In the meantime, those who have problem cameras and have sent them in for service provide valuable information by telling us the results.

Mick
or

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10633 posts

#33. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 26

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Wed 22-Aug-12 09:59 PM

Back to your question, I have submitted images and been approved for repair. Nikon will not pay for shipping inbound, but will pay return shipping.

The issue is not big enough for me to give up my camera for now. I will send it in later - just not yet.

Knowing the issue is there. I'm able to work around it. I'm still looking for more confirmation that the repairs are reliable. Larry Jordan had a successful repair, but overall I'm still seeing too many mixed results posted here at Nikonians.

I like the camera well enough as is with an AF error to work around the issue and still produce better images than with any other camera from Nikon that I own. I would not exchange my camera for another unless it was a new from the factory D800E. And even then, I understand I might end up in the same place and that's okay.

The point of my post was that it really is a minor issue to me - in the category of don't service the camera for just this issue right now.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#34. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 32

Wed 22-Aug-12 10:14 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 10:15 PM by Gator Bob

>Bob,

Q. What do you think the odds are that if you bought one you would get a bad camera?
A. I have no idea because Nikon is totally silent but very obviously there is some chance.
I choose not to be a beta tester for a $3300 camera.

Q. How did you come to that conclusion?
A. I continue to read everything I can find published or online about the flaws users report in their D800s.

Q.Don't discount what we say just because we disagree with your assessment of a hypothetical conclusion that you have drawn.
A. There is nothing at all "hypothetical" about the reported flaws in D800s and about the sometimes completely failed Nikon repair/replacement process.

Q. Show me some reliable numbers as I suggest in my other post.
A. No one outside of Nikon can do that because Nikon refuses to give out any useful information about flawed D800s --including flawed D800s it still may be shipping. My statement is based on all the current reports from high serial number D800 owners who tell us they got flawed D800s.

Tamron 90mm Macro

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#35. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 33

Wed 22-Aug-12 10:22 PM | edited Wed 22-Aug-12 10:24 PM by Gator Bob

I respect your candid, forthright, intelligent comments. It is entirely your choice to keep a flawed $3300 camera that you value ... as it is my choice not to risk the same.

Tamron 90mm Macro

jpFoto

US
1114 posts

#36. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 11

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010
Thu 23-Aug-12 12:24 AM

>My D800e arrived 2 weeks ago and is working perfectly fine. I had it checked out before it was delivered and would have returned it immediately was it not right. If someone keeps a defective item instead of returning it for exchange or refund, that person has made their own bed. Quit the bellyaching and just wait until they get the fix properly instituted

I think that Mick has said it all. Personally, I have never had a new camera checked out before it was delivered, but in the case of the D800 or E, Mick may have it right. If you don't have it checked out before it's delivered, then don't complain.

Thanks Mick.

Just out of curiosity, do you have all of your new cameras check out in advance, or is the D800E an exception?

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#37. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 29

Thu 23-Aug-12 12:49 AM | edited Thu 23-Aug-12 12:54 AM by johno

Thanks to you and others for the positive comments on the thread intent.

For those of us for whom cameras are a passion, it can be tempting to delve into the meta-considerations of the focus issue.

My sole intent is to learn what's happening and how or wether it can be fixed.

I don't care about stats. My camera is bad and I want it fixed please. There is more hysteria about the discussion than about the problem itself.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#38. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 23-Aug-12 12:56 AM

How did you get the exchange?

Sorry to hear about your two strikes. How Is this happening? I could "fix" it just as well as that. This is really strange.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#39. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 35

Thu 23-Aug-12 01:07 AM

I understand postponing the alleged repair. I need my camera for a shoot next week. It will work with the other focus points.

As it stands now I'm on hold anyway until Nikon Japan weighs in. In other words they don't even want it back for repair now. I like that better than sending it in again in vain. But my patience is limited.

My sincere hope is that a recall is in the works.

Having been in a multinational corporation when the fertilizer hit the fan with a product line, I know they know much more than they are saying. There is a quality control fault in manufacturing and in repair. That is a relatively unusual combination of trouble. And it appears to be randomized to some extent, hence some cameras work, and some repairs work. This will be interesting to see the resolution.

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

#40. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success? For heaven's sake!" | In response to Reply # 39

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Thu 23-Aug-12 02:55 AM

Postponing the repair is a very good idea indeed - for all I care, at least.
I am with Mick on this, with his earlier posts here, rather.
Seeing these threads about - I am hardly able to type the dreaded words into my keyboard - left focus issues is like passing a traffic
accident on the motorway: you know you should not stop for looking, but you can hardly help it.

What disturbs me perhaps most is the unabashed consumer attitude apparent in so many postings: a faulty product, oh my...
What you have is the best DSLR available in these days (certainly with the best sensor), enabling you to shoot marvelous pictures, with of without a proper working left focus.
I remember I read reviews about this camera saying it has too many gadgets for a proper professional camera, so here...
Tools are never perfect, never ever! It is a photographer's task to know what she/he can do with her/his tools and what not, this is what enables her/him to express her/his vision.

If you want to get rid of your camera, I would be happy to take over any D800E with the l.f. issue for a good discount from the original price (let's say half the original retail price).

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#41. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success? For heaven's sake!" | In response to Reply # 40

Thu 23-Aug-12 03:37 AM | edited Thu 23-Aug-12 03:39 AM by johno

I don't have any choice but to postpone the repair. Geez. Why the lecture on the roles and responsibilities of the photographer? If it's no big deal why do you want a 50 percent discount?

Sorry you are disturbed. There are some other Nikonians experiencing bystander trauma and they are owed compassion and understanding too. Maybe you could start a thread on coping skills. "We admitted we were powerless over left-focus threads..."

Standing by for news of a repair/recall/harakari at Nikon HQ, etc.

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

#42. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success? For heaven's sake!" | In response to Reply # 41

lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Thu 23-Aug-12 04:12 AM

"Bystander trauma" describes it well!

I do have also compassion, however - even if it doesn't sound like this - for all those who continue wailing about their, alas, imperfect cameras, not because they have made such a bad consumer experience, but because they get carried away with it.
I would call my little outburst a reminder rather than a lecture, and it was meant to be about creativity rather than responsibility.

And yes, I might create the new thread you suggested, but not today. Today I prefer to make myself unpopular here.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

stappy

Alexandria, US
225 posts

#43. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 0

stappy Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2009
Thu 23-Aug-12 12:05 PM

Many thanks to those who have replied with their repair experiences. As one with the left focus issue, these data points are very helpful for making the decision of when and what procedure to follow for sending my D800 to Melville.

Brian

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#44. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 36

Thu 23-Aug-12 05:45 PM

> Just out of curiosity, do you have all of your new cameras
>check out in advance, or is the D800E an exception?

I specifically asked Berger Brothers to check it out for obvious flaws (I did not expect an in-depth test). They gave it a clean bill of health, but if it had arrived and I discovered a problem, I would have returned it. I doubt you would get one of the larger on-line retailers to do that.

I have bought 3 other bodies over the years from on-line stores, so they did not get tested. One went back because they sent me a gray market body instead of a US model, and they replaced it with a legal one.

I have bought 3 bodies at camera dealers where I lived, so I got to test them before I walked them out the door.

I have bought 3 bodies from other Nikonians through the I Want to Sell forum. Not have been a problem.

I've been pretty happy as I haven gotten a bad camera yet! (KOW)

Mick
or

pyrpal

Portland, US
42 posts

#45. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 0

pyrpal Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2006
Tue 28-Aug-12 11:50 PM

Hi Guys,

I purchased a D800E locally on 18 June with SN 3003xx. It had the left focus issue.

I took it back to the local dealer 2 weeks ago who recognized the problem and sent it to El Segundo for repair that afternoon. I don't have a repair code since the dealer sent it in. It arrived back today and all early indications are that AF with all points is now good and much different than before. Repair details are:

1. repairs performed
2. adjusted auto focus operation
3. adjmirror angle
4. ckd body flange distance
5. ckd meter accuracy
6. general clean and check

I also checked the foam inside while the lens was off but it looks good as well. I will run a calibration with FoCal Pro tomorrow to check AF with the 24 mm f/1.4 and 50 mm f/1.4 lens. All my other lenses are manual focus.

Tom
Puget Sound Nikonian

My Nikonians Gallery

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#46. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 45

Wed 29-Aug-12 12:07 AM

Thanks for the update.

A week after Nikon said my photos were being sent to Japan, not anoother word. Anybody else hear anything about the status of their repair being "researched?"

Based on your post, Nikon is repairing at least some cameras successfully after they told me I will need to wait.

Frustrating.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#47. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 0

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 29-Aug-12 01:17 AM

Just got mine back. They got it on the 14th, had it back to me (overnight, and I did not make the request) on the 28th. I never called or checked on it, it came through that fast without prompting (and I even sent it ground to them).

B1, repair SC 201759, Mellville, "ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION" plus the usual checks.

It's better. I have more testing to do to make sure I am happy, but I am cautiously reporting success.

The right and left focus are almost identical. The center is NOT the same as the right and left, however, by looking at each and picking a fine tune in the middle, I can no longer see a visual difference in focus on the live-view-vs-AF tests I have done so far. I think if I tuned strictly to the center I might, however, a compromise is needed.

The center AF fine tune is substantially different than it was - previously more negative, now strongly positive on most lenses. A complete redo of all lens fine tunes is needed, and am working through that now.

But while I can measure a left/right vs. center difference, I can no longer see it. So am cautiously saying "fixed".

Oh... I am absolutely a believer that "fixed" does not require all lenses fine tune to zero. That's what fine tune is there for, use it!

I'll post a separate note with more details if the final results look interesting.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#48. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 47

Wed 19-Sep-12 05:17 PM

Here we are, 4 weeks after Nikon "sent my images to Japan," no word from Nikon. I have called twice asking for updates. I was promised return calls, which did not happen. My repair saga began in July.

I have asked them for a replacement camera, given their failure to fix mine.

If that doesn't happen I plan to file a lawsuit, but am unsure of the basics such as whether I can file a small claim in the local circuit court. I have to figure out some way to learn if that court can have jurisdiction over a warranty breach with the California office of a Japanese country. I'm expecting it will not be easy as a small claim filed locally.

mbg008

Evanston, US
18 posts

#49. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 48

mbg008 Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2012
Thu 20-Sep-12 09:31 AM

After two unsuccessful repair attempts in Melville, I, too, sent in photos that were met with a response of "sent my images to Japan."
It has been approximately ten days and my reasoned complaint and request to replace the camera was handled by the Melville manager who promised a response back at the end of this week. I like the camera and want it to function properly like many other users experience. But
I am also very frustrated and am wondering if anyone is aware of a class action by, what I suspect, are not an insubstantial number of D800, dissatisfied owners who'd really just like a replacement if repair is not possible.

mklass

Tacoma, US
7437 posts

#50. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 49

Thu 20-Sep-12 12:34 PM

Unless you are going to sue for monetary damages, you will need to find the money to pay a lawyer. I don't think you'll have much luck with getting one to take the case on a contingency basis when all you want is a replacement camera. (It would be cheaper just to buy a new camera.) Contingency lawyers want to sue for real and punitive damages. Class action cases are very expensive to do.

I'm not sure how much of a class you would have, but good luck!

Mick
or

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#51. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 50

Thu 20-Sep-12 12:44 PM

Small claim.

$2999 just makes it under the limit here in Missouri.

My sister is a lawyer.

I'm not giving up until it's right.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#52. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 51

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 20-Sep-12 03:27 PM

>My sister is a lawyer.
>
>I'm not giving up until it's right.

I'm not trying to apologize for Nikon, but by what theory of law are you making the claim?

Unless there is some state law specifically applicable, you almost have to claim they are not honoring their warranty, and their warranty is "at our option" and "ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE" (emphasis theirs).

Like every manufacturer today, they basically say (and always in all capital letters as they are required to emphasize it) that they do not warranty the thing you buy to be suitable for the purpose for which it is sold.

And even if by chance you get a judgement (which is possible I guess as small claims courts are often creative in their judgments, and Nikon almost certainly will not show up)... what then? How are you going to get Nikon to pay up, it's not like they have a store nearby where you can exercise the judgement. And a judgement in Missouri is very hard to collect in Melville, NY, much less Japan (oh, and you have to untangle enough of their corporate structure to know which entity you are suing, and are they even in a jurisdiction over which small claims can operate).

Please... I'm not Nikon. I am not a lawyer either. And it would be very entertaining to hear of the attempt. But just as advice from one nikonian to another -- are you sure you want to tilt at that particular windmill?

I've worked for large companies, and they just aren't worried about that type of litigation - all the cards are stacked against the consumer. My guess is they will never even notice. It's like suing an Air Line over a delay -- hopeless (all the actual benefit comes from getting them bad press or involving a legislator).

But I would be very interested in hearing how your sister is going to position the case?

Linwood

PS. I personally believe, if you think action necessary, that making noise and continuing to go over people's heads at Nikon, is far more effective than small claims court. But again, I am not a lawyer; I just spend far too much time with them.

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#53. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 52

Thu 20-Sep-12 04:09 PM

My sister is not involved.

I'm feeling helpless right now, ripped off and willing to try anything to get a working camera.

Corporate Web untangled:

Nikon Inc. has promoted John P. Browne to the position of Vice President and General Counsel. He and his family reside in Bronxville, NY.

It will get noticed.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#54. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 53

Thu 20-Sep-12 04:18 PM

>My sister is not involved.
>
>I'm feeling helpless right now, ripped off and willing to try
>anything to get a working camera.

My apologies, but I went back and tried to untangle various threads -- what is your problem that was not fixed.

Is it that the left side is still asymmetrically soft?

Or that you need fine tuning to get focus?

Or ... ?

Sorry... I really did look back and tried to figure out where this started, but can see where you said your repair was unsuccessful, and a see a posting on a (different) focus problem with a single wide angle shot that didn't appear to be a camera problem (?).

What is still not working?

Linwood

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#55. " RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 54

Thu 20-Sep-12 04:47 PM

Focus is not working correctly.

It was the left sensor off. After repair it appears the left and right sensors are off. Background:

- Failed to repair left focus problem
- I sent photos showing continued problem. Nikon checked post-repair photos and said to send it back
- Wrote before I sent it back and said don't send it, Japan is reviewing the images
- Two calls to Nikon yielded promises of more info but they did not call back as promised. Elapsed time 4 weeks.
- Another call to Nikon tech stated they have a lot of calls coming in about the focus problem; that they are looking for a fix.
-- Call yesterday to Nikon resulted in a manager writing back saying he sees "different issues" in my test photos from 4 weeks ago asking me to send test images.

Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

#56. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 2

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Mon 24-Sep-12 05:31 PM

My repair, not including autofocus as far as I know, has code 25498 too.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#57. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 11

Mon 24-Sep-12 06:02 PM

>Reporting on the results of sending in a D800 for focus
>correction is useful. What is totally redundant and pointless
>is the never-ending discussion and rants about how Nikon is
>handling this issue, and the tea leave reading about what they
>are doing. The other thread in the forum about how this forum is getting
>boring is spot on. There are far too many message threads
>about the focus issue. My D800e arrived 2 weeks ago and is working perfectly fine. I
>had it checked out before it was delivered and would have
>returned it immediately was it not right. If someone keeps a
>defective item instead of returning it for exchange or
>refund, that person has made their own bed. Quit the
>bellyaching and just wait until they get the fix properly
>instituted.

Respectfully, I disagree. I believe your entire statement is dead wrong. I believe Nikonians should continue to hammer away this still-unadmitted major failure by Nikon, in addition to discussing all the Nikon success stories. Your view blames the victim then concludes by saying my D800/e is OK so just shut up.

Tamron 90mm Macro

johno

St. Louis, US
525 posts

#58. " RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 55

Mon 24-Sep-12 06:24 PM

Latest communication from Nikon states:

At this point Nikon Corp says that my camera is within standard "but they are working on something to improve the standard," and "in some conditions the left side AF sensors may not have the same performance as others."

Any idea what that means?

I'm frustrated.

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#59. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 32

IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Mon 24-Sep-12 06:48 PM | edited Mon 24-Sep-12 06:49 PM by IndyGeoff

I am 0 for 3 on focus problems, the 3rd one I stopped testing when the first shot showed almost 9200 actuations had been done on it and it did not look good on that 1 shot.

I am sending back my 2nd one this week and am unlikely to order another until the end of the year, or maybe never.

I use the side focus points, I dont like focus and recompose.

So to answer your question I think it is highly likely people will get one with a problem since I have gotten 3 D800E's with focus problems.

Granted one of them needed -20 to hit focus. I was not going to keep a new item that had to be corrected that far the day it arrived.

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#60. " RE: Autofocus Repair Success?" | In response to Reply # 58

Mon 24-Sep-12 09:38 PM

>At this point Nikon Corp says that my camera is within
>standard "but they are working on something to improve
>the standard," and "in some conditions the left side
>AF sensors may not have the same performance as others."
>
>Any idea what that means?

That's really odd. They said "left side" specifically? Odd. I am very curious what you find out. Maybe (pure speculation) their specifications for calibration were set years ago, on lower resolution cameras, and now are not adequate. So it is "within spec" but clearly not "within a tolerance that people are happy with".

But the "left may be worse" is weird. What would make left different from right?

> I'm frustrated.

That is perfectly justified.

Linwood

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

#61. "RE: Autofocus Repair Success? For heaven's sake!" | In response to Reply # 40

Mon 24-Sep-12 10:34 PM

>What disturbs me perhaps most is the unabashed consumer
>attitude apparent in so many postings: a faulty product, oh
>my...
>What you have is the best DSLR available in these days
>(certainly with the best sensor), enabling you to shoot
>marvelous pictures, with of without a proper working left
>focus.

See, I was up with you until that last statement. Left or right - both should work.

But I will offer in the same vein "what disturbs me most".

I believe there are two groups of people out there - those with Focus issues (such as asymmetry) that will not permit adequate fine tune, and those with either a repaired or original camera that CAN be fine tuned to adequate performance (ok, three groups, those who have imagined a problem based on reading too many postings).

It is this second group that disturbs me. Not because they don't have a legitimate gripe. I get it, the idea of wanting to send a message, to take a stance. Been there.

But I think the message they are trying to send is "we do not need to fine tune, and making us do so is wrong".

I think that cameras are evolving where they are far more precision instruments than ever. Almost any precision instrument has a facility for calibration, and I do not find it odd that cameras are any different, and I expect them to get worse (meaning they need more calibration). Canon, for example, permits users to fine tune entirely automatically, and I think allows you to fine tune differently at different zoom focal lengths. Look at the Adobe Labs and some new plugins for lightroom - flat field calibration for very esoteric lens corrections. Precision photography is here.

I just think this second group is picking a battle to fight, and paying a price themselves in struggle and frustration, and it's not a battle worth fighting.

But that's just an opinion. But such discussions are where these ongoing debates are valuable, as people can hear both sides. My opinion may be wrong; a month from now I may be convinced otherwise.

That I believe that does NOT mean that I discount that some cameras are just broken, and they have my sympathy and hope for a good resolution.

Linwood

G