Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Fri 10-Aug-12 01:21 PM

Yesterday I held my camera up to my eye and saw a tiny spider crawling across the scenery. It was perfectly in focus. I took the lens off and didn't see it on the outside of the ground glass, so it must have been in the inside. It's since crawled out of the field of view. I have not noticed any eight-legged dust spots on my pictures.

I'm inclined to do nothing because it isn't hurting anything yet and I have no clue how to extract a spider without damaging the camera. If anybody has better advice I'm listening.

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#1. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 0

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 10-Aug-12 11:35 AM

Hopefully it is not a pregnant female since some species can lay thousands of eggs which hatch all close to the same time;>)

If it is in the VF chamber on the near side of the focus screen, it won't hurt anything to leave alone. Hopefully he will get tired of lack of food and leave to better grazing areas. If not, he will die and will probably not be seen again.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#2. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Fri 10-Aug-12 12:45 PM

LOL, sounds like it was on the mirror. I had a small insect on my mirror once (or focus screen). When I saw it I gotta say I was startled! A little rocket air blast took care of it...

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
4502 posts

#3. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 2

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Tue 14-Aug-12 01:35 PM

I had a friend who like me had an Olympus OM4ti years ago and was surprised to look in the viewfinder and see a earwig! It must have lived and died in the prism as he never saw it again and it didn't affect anything adversely

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#4. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Tue 14-Aug-12 04:48 PM

Sounds like a job for a rocket blower.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeterBeckett

Lincoln, US
835 posts

#5. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 0

PeterBeckett Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010
Wed 15-Aug-12 01:22 AM

Surely, as it was in focus but doesn't show up on pictures that you take, it MUST be on the focussing screen. I don't believe it would be in focus if it were on the mirror.

As others have suggested, reach for your Rocket Blower...

Pete

archivue

Paris, FR
5525 posts

#6. "RE: Spider in my camera" | In response to Reply # 0

archivue Registered since 26th Mar 2002
Wed 15-Aug-12 04:49 AM

Ah...! Now this reminds me of one thread from our regretted Merlin...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

G