Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

An interesting hiccup with my D800E

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Sun 13-Jan-13 03:44 PM

I was shooting a girls HS basketball game and noticed this photo when I was loading into LR4.

I have taken over 5k images with my D800E and this is the first time something like this happened.

I'm not thinking it is a defect, just an oddity, though was curious if anyone else had this happen.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4124 posts

#1. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 13-Jan-13 08:33 PM | edited Sun 13-Jan-13 08:37 PM by gpoole

Obviously the image has been corrupted such that the areas of the image have become rearranged.

Where in the processing path does this corruption first appear?

• If it shows when you display the original image in your camera, then the file is corrupt on the memory card. Could be a camera problem or a defective memory card.

• If it only is corrupt in Lightroom then something happened on the way into your computer or Lightroom screwed up. What happens if you view the file with some other viewer like the software included with your operating system? That will help isolate whether it is a file problem or a Lightroom problem.

I've haven't seen this happen with my D800e using Photo Mechanic and Capture NX2. I've taken mostly NEF files but I did do about 1250 JPG fines for a couple HS football games. I currently have about 6400 cycles on my D800e.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#2. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 14-Jan-13 07:24 PM

Thank you for the replay Gary. Hopefully a mod will combine my mistakes into 1 thread. I just did not see the one I thought I posted (this one) and figured I made a mistake.

I apologize for this mistake and will make certain not to repeat.

Back to your post.

I copied the files from my memory card onto my HD, so there is a potential for this to happen. I have not had it happen with any of the previous, or following files. this is in the 4600 range and I am over 5k as I recall.

When I look at it via explorer in windows (i shot jpeg large for this event) it shows as split.

When I open LR and choose open and goto the folder on my HD the image looks to be fine. It is greyed out so hard to see for certain, but would put my money on the image looks fine.

What I did was copy and paste in explorer to get a new filename (could have renamed the old i suppose) and opened lighroom to look at the folder.

the image looks fine however when i open it the image starts out fine then splits to what you see here. It is as if two images are coded in there.

when i look at the sequence, it is as if 1 of the images is missing though the numbering sequence is correct. a two in one shot.

it was a spray moment trying to get a shot or block.

walkerr

Colorado Springs, US
16920 posts

#3. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 2

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography   Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 05th May 2002
Mon 14-Jan-13 07:40 PM

There are multiple embedded previews in a jpeg or raw image, so seeing that it's okay in one place via a browser isn't a guarantee of where something went wrong. If you still hae the image on the original card, I'd copy it again (just that file) and see if the problem is still present. If it is, it's probably a corrupted flash card. Are you good about formatting your cards frequently when you're ready to shoot with them again or are you formatting them via your computer? The latter Is a bad idea.

If the card is corrupted and you're following good practices, I'd be inclined to stop using that card.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

Carmen Tulum

Toronto, CA
43 posts

#4. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012
Tue 15-Jan-13 10:08 AM

It happened to me twice that a particular photo was not visible after being downloaded, with the message "the computer does not support this file type". This might be a similar problem?

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3333 posts

#5. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Tue 15-Jan-13 11:22 AM

Geoff -- As a hopefully humorous -- albeit totally useless observation -- it looks like all the parts are there, ready for you to cut and paste them back together with some soert of stitching software that I don't understand either. It was apparently a nice shot though! It also looks like you were blessed with relatively good lighting. I shoot part time for a local weekly newspaper and there are three gymnasiums locally that are competing for the worst lighting -- 1/200th @f3.2 and ISO 6400! There are birghter coal mines in the region.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

#6. "RE: An interesting hiccup with my D800E" | In response to Reply # 5

Tue 15-Jan-13 03:12 PM

Rick, I format my cards in the camera almost without fail. I have done individual deletions when there were just a few iamges on the card. I would put my money on me reformatting before this event, but would not bet my life. ;- )

Unfortunately the images get copied onto my HD then when I see they are there and all looks ok I format the card in my camera. A quick glance at a couple hundred images was not good enough to see this problem until too late.

Alan, ouch at 1/200th and 6400. I tried flash once during my sons's freshman year of basketball. None complained and the players told me they never saw the flash go off when shooting.

Thanks much for the idea's and suggestions everyone.

G