Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi with D800?

piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Tue 18-Dec-12 05:18 PM

Hello,

is anybody using D800 with any of the Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi cards currently available?

How reliable is this solution to send RAW files to a PC when shooting tethered? Is it much slower than through a good USB 3.0 cable?

Your replies will be appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5988 posts

#1. "RE: Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi with D800?" | In response to Reply # 0

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Thu 20-Dec-12 02:13 AM

I am using the Eye-Fi 8GB and new 16GB Pro X2 cards in my D800. They fixed the problem they were having with the D800 and Direct Mode, with a firmware upgrade. Eye-Fi now says the D800 is compatible with their cards.

They work fine on my D800. However, they are slooooooooow with a D800 file due to the size. JPEGS aren't too bad, it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to transfer ONE image. Forget RAW and on TIFF, just say NO!

For file transfer, stick to your USB cable.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

#2. "RE: Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi with D800?" | In response to Reply # 1

piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Thu 20-Dec-12 02:25 AM

Thanks!
That's in line with what I thought.
Fighting with a long USB cable when moving around the studio is no fun either, but at least I can see my images on a large screen in 3-4 seconds when shooting RAW.
And one could think we are already so technologically advanced...

I wonder how the Nikon WT‑5A wireless transmitter works with D4, but the transfer rate must be also pretty slow I guess.

Flanders Fields

BE
3 posts

#3. "RE: Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi with D800?" | In response to Reply # 2

Flanders Fields Registered since 03rd Mar 2013
Sat 08-Jun-13 05:26 AM | edited Sat 08-Jun-13 12:56 PM by Flanders Fields

I have the Eye-Fi 8 GB pro X2.
By this, I can easily connect both my D800's to my iPad (3th).
BUT to have it work rather 'fast', I only send the JPG -basic files via the SD slot. These are just good enough as a preview for what is recorded in NEF lossless 14 bit on the CF card.
Consider this 'work flow' as a substitute for the old day's Polaroïd test shots, but faster, larger (14,5 x 19,5 cm), better and reliable colors, easy to transport and environmentally friendlier (hope so). Eye-Fi is much faster than Polaroïd, it only takes a few seconds to transfer.
The colour Polaroïds toke about 45 sec to develop when temperature was about the ideal 22°C and the colours where still far off!
But Polaroïd had a lot of 'charm', individuality and character, not to mention the creative possibility's with the dye— and emulsion transfers...

Practically, the Eye-Fi <—> iPad combo is a huge leap forward!

We should be really spoiled now: the Eye-Fi/iPad AND the Impossible Project...

PS: Sorry for my bad English, it's only my third language.

ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9071 posts

#4. "RE: Wi-Fi or Eye-Fi with D800?" | In response to Reply # 3

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sat 08-Jun-13 11:56 AM

Philippe,

Your English is very good. I have native speakers working for me that have no clue what good English is.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

G