Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What's different about the D800/800e

mklass

Tacoma, US
7421 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006
Thu 22-Nov-12 05:46 AM | edited Thu 22-Nov-12 05:47 AM by mklass

Maybe some of you have already had this revelation (I can be slow on the uptake), but this dawned on me the other day.

I have had 10 Nikon DLSR 's in the past 7 years: D70, D70s, D80, D3, D300, D700, D3s, D300s, D7000 and D800e. The first 8 progressions each made it easier for me to take better pictures- the cameras were more capable and could either do things that the prior model couldn't, or could do it better.

The D800e is the first one that actually has made it harder for me to get a good shot. All of those pixels demand more precision and harder work on my part. The results, when I put in the effort, are spectacular in terms of detail and dynamic range, and well worth the effort. But it has required me to shift my thinking from what happened before when I upgraded cameras.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Antero52

Vantaa, FI
2675 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

#1. "RE: What's different about the D800/800e" | In response to Reply # 0

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009
Thu 22-Nov-12 05:23 AM

The D800(E) has dramatically boosted your expectations. With your previous cameras, it was much easier to use their full potential or at least 90% of it. With the D800(E), when you’ve seen what it’s capable of, you don’t want to be the weakest link in the chain.

This year I’ve bought two cameras: the P7100 and the D800E. The Coolpix is way more “social”. The DOF is much greater than with the D800E, and I don’t have to worry getting everyone in (reasonably) sharp focus. And when I’m taking pictures with a P&S, people don’t expect masterpieces every time I press the shutter.

Regards, Antero

G