Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bdudzik Registered since 08th Apr 2009
Sat 17-Nov-12 04:59 AM

Can anyone establish whether the serial numbers for the D800E are unique or are the serial numbers for all D800/D800E consecutive? I received my D800E on Wednesday with serial number 3007505 (it was from a new shipment received on Monday by B&H) and have seen other emails leading me to believe that a D800 model was issued with the same number.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RECONLEY

Marietta, US
586 posts

#1. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 0

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012
Sat 17-Nov-12 10:56 AM

I received a D800 Tuesday with serial # 3049447 so it would seem the serial numbers are separate series.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#2. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 0

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Sat 17-Nov-12 02:09 PM

> "I received my D800E on Wednesday with serial number 3007505 (it was from a new shipment received on Monday by B&H) ... "

October 28 Amazon shipped me D800E serial number 30089XX. B&H's "new November shipment" included a D800E with an older 30075XX serial number. Nikon and/or B&H continue to work in mysterious ways.

Gator Bob Santa Fe New Mexico
*D800E *D700 *SB800 *RRS 24L & BH-55
Nikkors: *14-24 *24-70 *70-200 VRII *T-20E III *50 f/1.8 *PC-E 85 *28-300 & Tamron 90mm Macro

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#3. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 2

Sun 18-Nov-12 03:44 AM

Thanks for the two replies but there are still two questions that are unanswered:

1) It's still not clear if there is a D800 out there with serial number 3007505.
2) Why the discrepancy in serial numbers in so-called "just released" D800E camera's from both Amazon and B&H?

The bottom line for me is whether or not I have to worry about the left autofocus issue (it doesn'y appear to be the case but I did a pretty superficial test).

FrankSRGB

US
103 posts

#4. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 3

FrankSRGB Registered since 09th Aug 2009
Sun 18-Nov-12 04:50 PM

I received my D800E #300778X from Amazon around October 15th. Its serial# is newer than the one you just received from B&H on Monday.

>1) It's still not clear if there is a D800 out there with serial number 3007505.

I seriously doubt that. Any mfr that would make a serial number contingent on a "style" number would be asking for trouble. If that were the case, the style number would be part of the serial number, not independent of it.

>2) Why the discrepancy in serial numbers in so-called "just released" D800E camera's from both Amazon and B&H?

I think "so-called" is the operative phrase here. One must also ask, just released from where?

I doubt that any cameras are released from the Nikon factory in Japan and shipped directly to retailers. It's likely that Nikon imports cameras by shipping to a US distribution center which in turn ships to retailers, which in turn ships to customers. With each step in the chain of custody it is also likely that cameras are not chosen to be shipped by the order of the serial numbering, but by the order in which they are placed in stock. IOW last in/first out -- first in/last out. Furthermore, it's likely that cameras are originally shipped from Japan in pallets and that the pallets are split when retailer orders are fulfilled.

I don't really know how Nikon distributes its cameras, but it doesn't surprise me that there's no rhyme & reason behind the order in which customers receive new cameras.

Regards,
Frank

bdudzik

Richland, US
18 posts

#5. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 19-Nov-12 05:45 AM

Is it possible that Nikon set specific non-consecutive block(s) of serial numbers for each camera (D800 & D800E)since it is my understanding that Nikon has manufactured many more D800's than D800E's?

The other question would be that I was led to believe that D800's (either the D800 or D800E) manufactured after approximately October 1st would be completely free of the left-focus issue. I have no clue as to how to relate serial numbers and date of manufacture. I have not had a chance to thoroughly test the camera so the question is "do I need to"?

Timeshifte

Dayton, US
206 posts

#6. "RE: D800E Serial Numbers" | In response to Reply # 5

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 08:46 PM

Could they be returns for the focus problem that were fixed, the shutter releases zeroed and then resold ?

G