Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
AZ Nikon

Oro Valley, US
197 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2004
Wed 07-Nov-12 04:31 AM

I do a lot of shooting in poorly-lit high school gyms capturing volleyball and basketball games.

Currently, I use a D300 (set at ISO 3200) and a Nikkor 70-200 f 2.8 zoom lens. I am not happy with the resultant photos due to noise.

So, I'm thinking of checking out the D800 (or D600) because of their touted low-light performance.

But, I am concerned about the photo file size. I usually shoot NEF, and do some processing and save the images as medium resolution JPG files.

What would an "average" file size be (how many MB) for shooting NEF and then saving as the medium JPG? What about a D600 file?

Any advantages of the D800 or D600 for my use as indicated above?

Thanks.

AZ Nikon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

#1. "RE: D800 file sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Wed 07-Nov-12 05:01 AM

I am having trouble understanding your question. I don't know what a "medium" jpg is. When I save JPEG files, I give them a length and width, as well as a resolution. They are all exactly the same size.

As for use in a low light gym shooting sports, I give the nod to the D600 over the D800. Though both will be quite superior to the D300 in terms of noise performance. The D800 may well seem slow to you for frame rate, and the D600 may seem slow for focus performance. Then again, it may not. Rent or borrow one for a weekend and see.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

nwcs

Knoxville, US
7030 posts

#2. "RE: D800 file sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

nwcs Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Registered since 15th Jan 2006
Wed 07-Nov-12 11:47 AM

Honestly, having had a D800 since June and a D700 for 2 years prior I'd go with the D700 for indoor sports. Mostly for frame rate and similar low light level performance. Cheaper, too. And you won't have to worry about file size.

I've shot some football recently with the D800. Made me want to go running back to a D700 or even a D300. Not saying it can't be done -- it most certainly can be. Just that the D800 and D600 are not your only (best) choices.

If you're selling pics, I'd definitely consider a D3 or D3s before going with a D600/800 for sports.

mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US
733 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#3. "RE: D800 file sizes" | In response to Reply # 0

mfphoto1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005
Wed 07-Nov-12 01:13 PM

I shoot the D800 and my raw file size ranges from 38-48 mb right out of the camera. I processed some images yesterday as medium jpegs (quality 10 in image processing out of bridge) my files range from 3-6 mb at 300 ppi.

I also came from a D300 and the raw file size is quite a jump. It works for me, but it's way more than most people need or want. As far as the D800 itself as far as function and quality of picture I love it. I warn you there will be a learning curve shooting with it and shooting sports with it will definitely take some time to adjust to.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

G