Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00

David D Busch

US
178 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011
Fri 02-Nov-12 10:22 PM

Buy the wrong D800 model? Your "mistake" (if it really was that) will cost you $500 -- not $300 -- to "fix." Lifepixel can replace your D800's AA filter with an optically equivalent non-AA filter for $500. Other camera models for as low as $400.

We all know that Nikon's own D800E filter pack isn't simply a removal or replacement. The wave plate is swapped for an optical glass component, and a different second OLPF redirects the light back to its original trajectory. I'd be interested in knowing more details about exactly what Lifepixel does beyond what I've read so far.
http://shop.lifepixel.com/3-AA-anti-aliasing-filter-removal-for-sharper-photos-c18/

They have done good work for me in the past with more traditional mods, most recently converting my D3200 to IR. I'm not sure this conversion is worth the trouble and expense for a D800, since an actual D800e is available. It might be interesting to see what LP can do with a D4 or D3x...

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#1. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 0

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Fri 02-Nov-12 10:12 PM

So what then becomes of the nikon warranty?

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#2. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Fri 02-Nov-12 10:19 PM

Thanks for posting this, but before spending $500, I'd rather put an ad into our For Sale forum with a request to trade D800 + cash for a D800E. Would be cheaper. Failing that, sell the D800 outright in the forum and buy a new D800E. I'd be more comfortable with a Nikon product than a "fixed" D800, plus the real D800E would have warranty and a higher resale value.

But personally I see no reason for this swap and I'll be keeping the D800...

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4955 posts

#3. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 03-Nov-12 12:27 AM | edited Sat 03-Nov-12 12:28 AM by KnightPhoto

Hmmm fixed D4, sounds interesting (but yes hot-rodding blows warranty)

Now that I've been shooting an E, I'm liking it so far (two weeks). Had to soften skin for a photoshoot already though... I can see I'm going to have to rely on that technique again.

Seriously though, I think the D400 should be an E. Heck if Pentax can do it...

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

David D Busch

US
178 posts

#4. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 2

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011
Sat 03-Nov-12 02:22 AM

I basically posted for informational purposes only, and for the possibility of converting other cameras. For the reasons listed, converting a D800 into a D800E doesn't seem like the best option.

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

gqtuazon

FPO, US
644 posts

#5. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 3

gqtuazon Registered since 18th Nov 2009
Sat 03-Nov-12 03:04 AM | edited Sat 03-Nov-12 03:04 AM by gqtuazon

I had my D80 converted by LP to full spectrum. Yesterday, I received a $100 off offer from LP if I wanted to have the AA filter removed. The offer was only sent to people who requested for email subscription. The promo ends 30Nov.

I am considering this with my D7000 DX camera (D7000E) but I requested some feedbacks who have done this with their camera. I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

Regards,

Glenn

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

#6. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 4

walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Sat 03-Nov-12 04:29 PM

David,

The only reason I raised the question about the warranty was to make sure folks thought about that. I'm glad that you shared the 'option' with us.

Thanks,

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#7. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 5

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sun 04-Nov-12 10:34 AM

Is it as simple as replacing the AA filter though?

I read somewhere in a review that the D800E camera body also has processing tweaks in the firmware although cannot confirm this. Do both bodies use the same firmware?

Visit

Herbc

US
75 posts

#8. "RE: Lifepixel will "convert" your D800 to D800E for $500.00" | In response to Reply # 7

Herbc Registered since 10th May 2012
Sun 04-Nov-12 02:01 PM

Lifepixel has converted 3 cameras for me to IR, and I find them to be very good in telling me which choice is which for the particular use intended-I recommend them without reservation.
That said, these cameras are unbelieveably complicated electronically, so I would not get the camera converted. Too big a risk if you ever need service.

G