Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where do I find the actuation info on the D800

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
fires1 Registered since 04th Oct 2011
Thu 01-Nov-12 01:48 PM | edited Thu 01-Nov-12 01:49 PM by fires1

Apparently from my research it is not in the D800,but rather embedded in the exif info. I have capture nx2, view nx2 and exif tool. (along with cs6 and Lightroom 4. I cannot locate the actuation info any where. Perhaps Its staring me in the face and I am just missing it. The old saying, if it was a snake it would have bit me. Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bob Chadwick

Norcross, US
2316 posts

#1. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006
Thu 01-Nov-12 01:33 PM

There are a couple of programs/web sites that read the info and report on it. I can't recall the names but I'm sure someone will post it for you shortly.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics on Instagram

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#2. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 1

Thu 01-Nov-12 02:04 PM

Found a program Opanda Iexif, apparently RAW images strip the count out, but it shows in jpg's.

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#3. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 2

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 01-Nov-12 03:45 PM

If you are already using Exiftool Gui (as you suggest), check the Maker tab and look for the "ShutterCount" tag. I added that tag to the Custom view because there is so much to scroll through .

Some exif viewers may call it "Actuations". Photomechanic comes to mind.

I'm surprised you are not seeing it in your raw files. Never heard that before. I shoot raw only so I usually need to look at my raw files because most image editors and browsers strip that out of JPGs they may make. I don't have a D800 but I get raw in my D2h, D200, D700 and D300. I've used Opanda to get that tag, and now use Exiftool/Gui because it appears to have a more comprehensive list of maker notes.

my Nikonians gallery.

mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US
733 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#4. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 0

mfphoto1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005
Thu 01-Nov-12 05:41 PM

You can also find the info in photoshop or bridge under file - file info - advanced - schima....aux - then image number

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#5. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 2

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Thu 01-Nov-12 06:31 PM

Raw images should not, but the free opanda program does not read raw images.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

fires1

pinellas park, US
81 posts

#6. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 4

Fri 02-Nov-12 03:45 PM

I did see it in exif tool but only with a jpg. and I also see cs6 which does show RAW. Thanks to all.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

#7. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 6

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Sat 03-Nov-12 07:37 PM

Using Opanda I was able to read shutter actuations on a jpeg made from a RAW file. So I am guessing the EXIF info is all retained in the RAW file but not viewable using NX2 Capture or View

Visit

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

#8. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 7

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Sat 03-Nov-12 09:20 PM

Yes, it is strange that you need a 3rd party viewer to see Nikon's own maker notes but that is the state of the world we live in

my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#9. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 7

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sun 04-Nov-12 04:07 PM

Nikon considers this the realm of their technicians and does not guarantee that a software update, camera reset, or other event will not change this value. Nikon used to have a post about this but I can no longer find it. I believe the shutter count applies to the electronic shutter and not the focal plane shutter.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

txstone12

Texas, US
599 posts

#10. "RE: Where do I find the actuation info on the D800" | In response to Reply # 9

txstone12 Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012
Tue 06-Nov-12 02:40 AM

>I believe the shutter count applies to the electronic shutter and not the focal
>plane shutter.

Interesting. You mean they're different?

For Mac users, you can view Exif data in RAW files with Preview >Tools >Show Inspector>2nd Button.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

G