Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual

CraigFPG

US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
CraigFPG Registered since 31st Oct 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 06:49 PM

New to Nikon cameras for video and feel like a newbie. Testing out a d800 with a set of Zeiss zf.2 lenses for video work.

When I put the camera in "M" manual mode all four zf.2 lenses we have still auto expose. For example, I can stop down and point the camera at a dark floor and the aperture ring will start to automatically rotate to a decent exposure without touching a thing. If I lock the exposure ring on the lens and try to use the forward camera dial for exposure nothing.

In the manual it says for CPU lenses in manual mode use the back dial for shutter, which works (24fps movie setting/50 shutter speed) and use the forward dial for exposure, not working.

Obviously not understanding something. I know it's got to be a menu or dial setting I just have not discovered yet. zf.2's do have a CPU for everything but AF so not sure what is going on. Any ideas?

Thanks!

FineArtSnaps

Leesburg, US
401 posts

#1. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 0

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012
Wed 31-Oct-12 07:22 PM

>Any ideas?

Yes, have you considered buying a video camera for videos?

Russ Lewis
www.russ-lewis.com
www.FineArtSnaps.com

CraigFPG

US
5 posts

#2. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 31-Oct-12 07:48 PM

I will add I am having the same problem using the camera for stills since it was designed and built for both mediums.

Also, did try a Nikon DX 18-55mm and in manual mode everything works like it should. Have used these Zeiss lenses on a RED ONE, Panasonic AF100, 5D MKii and others, but of course they don't read the CPU data like the Nikon is supposed to without a smart adapter. Perhaps a Nikon firmware issue? Anyone else have a zf.2 they can try on their d800?

Any real help greatly appreciated.

Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

#3. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 0

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Wed 31-Oct-12 09:16 PM

I have used a ZF.2 lens on a D800E. With the camera in "M" mode and the lens locked at minimum aperture the two camera command dials select shutter speed and aperture. It works like any other modern lens except for lack of autofocus. There may be less control in video mode than in still mode.

RIW

Kings Lynn, UK
265 posts

#4. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 3

RIW Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009
Thu 01-Nov-12 05:36 AM

I agree. Perfectly normal in M mode. Except of course with the 100 mm f2 which has manual aperture control.

Roderick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

CraigFPG

US
5 posts

#5. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 4

Thu 01-Nov-12 12:00 PM

Thanks guys. That is the way it is supposed to work, but with any of my four zf.2 lenses locked (ring locked) at minimum aperture turning the forward dial has no affect at all all. I had these lenses cine-modded; de-clicked, focus gears, etc. and beginning to wonder if that is the problem. Thanks again.

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#6. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 0

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Sat 03-Nov-12 12:52 AM

Couple things both in the same menu area:
- You could try ==> Custom Settings Menu ==> f) Controls ==> f9) Customize Command Dials ==> Aperture setting ==> Aperture ring
This would allow Aperture ring to control Aperture setting.

Independent of the above you could also try ==> Custom Settings Menu ==> f) Controls ==> f9) Customize Command Dials ==> Change main/sub ==> ON.
Then see if the back command dial will now change Aperture. Perhaps the problem is worked around by switching to the back dial for Aperture?

If you don't mind, I and perhaps others would be very interested in your impression of the D800 video files.

BTW - My Nikon G lens (no aperture ring), works fine, I can control shutter and aperture with front and back command dials.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

CraigFPG

US
5 posts

#7. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 6

Sat 03-Nov-12 02:15 AM

Steve thanks so much for the tips on menu settings. Just saw this tonight so will give it a go over the weekend.

In regards to the video performance this is really the first Nikon being targeted to professionals:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Nikon/Press-Room/Press-Release/h6jlp5zx/Nikon-Establishes-Hollywood-Video-Credentials-as-the-D800-Lands-Leading-Roles.html

Have only really shot with it once, this is the footage edited by a friend of mine:

http://vimeo.com/52576693

Thanks again!

- Craig

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#8. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 7

Sat 03-Nov-12 01:15 PM

I liked the video Craig, and like they say in the link you provided, great blacks in your night shots! Good to see the Nikon's moving into Hollywood. Thom thinks Nikon is going to continue to move into the video world in a big way.

I've got a major video edit to process this weekend. Been using iMovie to date but my most recent shoot I operated two cameras simultaneously. D4 in 2.7 (actual pixels) crop mode and 300mm for tight headshots of actors on stage and D800E at 70-100 mmm wide shot covering the whole stage. I intend to use sound to sync the two streams and then multi-cam to intercut between wide and tight views. Very intimidating for me, I'll need to purchase FCP X and I think Plural Eyes too. I already had Dual Eyes which is great for single-camera work. Big learning curve ahead!

Keep us posted.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

CraigFPG

US
5 posts

#9. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 05-Nov-12 03:03 PM

Steve! You are the man! LOL Reversing the function controls did the trick. I now have shutter control on the forward dial and exposure on the rear. The way I work, having big thumbs and all, seems to work better for me.

Thanks again my friend.

- Craig

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4968 posts

#10. "RE: d800 and Zeiss zf.2 problems when in manual" | In response to Reply # 9

Tue 06-Nov-12 01:59 AM

Hey I didn't expect it to, but not bad for a stab in the dark - GLAD to hear it!! And yes, I find the reversed command dials more natural too.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

G