Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Sat 07-Jul-12 08:28 PM

I understand Thom has publish his Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E. Can anyone tell us where to find the eBook version?

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#1. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sat 07-Jul-12 06:50 PM

Thom's guides are made available in .PDF format on his website (that's the only place you can get them, I think). The D800/E guide can be found here.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

lifewings

Santa Fe, US
87 posts

#2. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008
Sat 07-Jul-12 06:54 PM

http://bythom.com/nikond800guide.htm

I haven't gotten it yet, but expect it to be up to his usual high and exacting standards!

I just received my D800E before I left for a family trip (didn't take it with me for a number of reasons) and am anxious to play once I return ... I look forward to also getting Thom Hogan's book once I return.

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#3. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 1

Sat 07-Jul-12 08:35 PM

Thanks Brian!

I guess that is a fast way to market these days. Waiting for hard copy printing is a downer!

Larry Jordan

dankeny

Roland, US
1555 posts

#4. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006
Sun 08-Jul-12 09:32 AM

Much as I like Thom, you owe it to your self to check out DD's book. You can always buy both as I often do. Not that Thom isn't a good writer and excellent photographer, but DD's book comes with less spin.

Find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Nikon-D800-Darrell-Young/dp/1937538052

David

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#5. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 4

Sun 08-Jul-12 10:32 AM

I have bought DD's books in the past. I have also already read Thom's D800 book. I find that Thom goes into much more detail in areas that are of interest to me than other writers including Busch. He does not just re-write the Nikon D800 manual.

I really like Thom's discussions re auto focus alternatives and his own experience with the D800 so far. He also plans to update the eBook with reader feedback...something few other writers have done so far.

Not sure what you mean by spin. He gives a fair discussion of the few non-Nikon products he mentions. He does mention his own other works at times.

Larry Jordan

slothead

Frederick, US
1906 posts

#6. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Aug 2009
Sun 08-Jul-12 11:26 AM

I just downloaded two copies last night: one for the iPad (to take to the field) and one for the laptop. With 8xx pages, I'm curious what the hardcopy will sell for. I always find it easier to scan as a hardcopy, but it won't be as small and light as the iPad is.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

#7. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 6

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Sun 08-Jul-12 11:40 AM

>I'm curious what the hardcopy will sell for.

Thom has said that the guide will only be available as an "eBook", not in hard copy.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RWCooper

Winnipeg, CA
1019 posts

#8. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 5

RWCooper Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Sun 08-Jul-12 02:14 PM

> I find that Thom goes into much more
>detail in areas that are of interest to me than other writers.
> He does not just re-write the Nikon D800
>manual.

That's what I like about his books as well.

Enjoy!

Randy

picbybdm

US
27 posts

#9. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

picbybdm Registered since 27th Jan 2012
Mon 09-Jul-12 02:10 PM

Thom also has a blog that can be quite interesting at www.bythom.com

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#10. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

Unavailable Registered since 09th Jun 2012
Mon 09-Jul-12 09:05 PM

It is great to see him releasing first via PDF.

I like buying self-published online content when the author stands to get more of the proceeds. PDF is also a good format since it is generally DRM free. As such, I was happy to take chance on Thom's book.

I purchased my last dead tree publication several years ago. I can't imagine buying any others in the future. I'm just not interested. I didn't even break the seal on my D800 manuals. I found the online PDF version that I can read it on any device, find related content, and search when the spirit moves me.

But really: I think a 'user manual' like Thom's should have an option to demonstrate functions and show video examples directly on a camera via WiFi - but let's walk before we run. I am happy to at least get PDF

--

Craig

jetrated

Curacao, AN
35 posts

#11. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 2

jetrated Registered since 26th Mar 2012
Tue 10-Jul-12 01:49 AM

I skimmed through the manual and it looks like the quality we have come to expect from Thom. Very thorough and above all readable manual. I know what I'm doing in my spare time next couple of days .

Bluefin

Danville, US
432 posts

#12. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006
Tue 10-Jul-12 02:05 PM

I've bought Darrell's hardcopy books in the past and Thom's eBooks as well. I like them both.

I do have Thom's eBook for the D800 and I think it is outstanding. Incredible how much I still have to learn even when you consider my primary camera for the past 3 years has been the D700.

I highly recommend both authors.

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#13. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

mabuge Registered since 18th Mar 2012
Tue 10-Jul-12 06:14 PM

Thom's eBook is excellent indeed. When using the GoodReader app Thom mentions, you can find back sentences you want to pay more attention to by highlighting them. The highlighted text appears as well in the PDF as (partly) in annotations. When you click on an annotation it acts as a bookmark.

After downloading the eBook to your desktop/laptop, it is fairly easy to copy the eBook into GoodReader (the how to is included in the mail you get from Thom). I just want to add that after syncing your iPad, you need to click on the iPad device (in iTunes on the desktop/laptop), to see the Apps tab Thom mentions. Then as he explains the second half of the page shows File Sharing. Click GoodReader and add the PDF you want to transfer.

Waiting for Darell's eBook. The articles on his website, his posts, and the positive comments I read on this forum about his former books, make me very curious about his approach of how to deal with the D800/D800E.

Marc

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2038 posts

#14. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 12

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Tue 10-Jul-12 10:24 PM

+ 1

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#15. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Thu 12-Jul-12 02:26 PM

Its a good book, I was honored to be chosen to proof it before release..

I have been working on a review, will update this thread when its completed.

Looking forward to reading DD's too.

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#16. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Thu 12-Jul-12 11:29 PM

I also bought the book (PDF) and it is outstanding.
BTW: Is Thom part of Nikonians?
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#17. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

Fri 13-Jul-12 11:49 AM

On page 267 Thom describes "Focus on exposure" related to the camera relying upon the exposure value of what's under the focus sensor(s) used. He suggests an experiment I just did: five pictures of a test chart (white to black ramp). I kept the frame exactly the same under the same lighting conditions, but moved the focus point from the brightest to the darkest. Each time I took a picture at f/4. The shutter speeds were respectively 1/320, 1/250, 1/200, 1/160, 1/125. Most interesting.

Marc

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#18. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 17

Fri 13-Jul-12 12:01 PM

Thom has a lot of information in his book that I have never seen anywhere else. I was one of the reviewers of the book before it was published. I went back and re-read many sections after reading for grammar stuff...just to understand what he was saying.

I did not always agree with what he said, but I understood why he said it (i.e, AF and 3D tracking). There were places where I thought he could have added more information (i.e., use of software for AF Fine Tuning)...but..hey, the book is 851 pages as is. Maybe he will write an additional "in depth" version. Can you imagine what would be in it?

I intend to now go back and read it from cover to cover just to be sure I take advantage of all I can that he provides. That may take me a while!

Larry Jordan

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3574 posts

#19. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 18

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Fri 13-Jul-12 12:47 PM

I can't imagine writing a 800++ book is the short time the D800 has been out, is most of the book original content or does it have a lot of those pages used for charts and figures used in past book? I do like his writing style, but I prefer paper books to screens. That might change now that I have the new iPAD with the great Retina display and a way to display the book. My personal use of it has been limited to displaying photos and its map functions. I got a few of them for the office to use an app I wrote for checking in clients when they disembark from their cruise ship, to go on a multi-day tour.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#20. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 19

Fri 13-Jul-12 02:02 PM

Thom says he took a lot of the content of the D800 book from his D700, D3 and D4 books. However, he did fine tune it for the D800 and added good examples of "how to" with it. Apparently, he took it with him just about everywhere he went while he was working on the book. He describes how he used 3D tracking while shooting a basketball game.

If you have read his D3 and D700 books, you have probably read a lot of what he has in this D800 book...I am guessing. I have not read either of them, so the D800 book had a lot of stuff I had not seen before.

However, I still have unanswered questions after reading Thom's book. I post those questions here.

Larry Jordan

mabuge

BE
54 posts

#21. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 18

Fri 13-Jul-12 02:18 PM

Yes, that is why I like Thom's eBook too. The only problem is the vast amount of interesting information hiding out somewhere. Okay you can find back something with a keyword - if you know the keyword . And you can highlight, or underscore. And you can use the page index or the chapter index. Or make annotations, bookmarks, keywords. Start dream session. Or if you could eliminate (temporarily) things you (think) you master or are not interested in for the time being. For example, everything related to JPEG (or RAW), or everything related to how to set menu items, just to name a few. But that would require another book structure, a kind of (possibly co-authored) Wiki-D800 instead of eBooks. Or the 123DI-idea of being able to make a choice as starter, essential, or advanced reader. Or Thom duplicating himself to provide us with in-depth add-on articles like you mention. Stop dream session. There are still a lot of options for authors to be creative in how to present information in a way making it even more accessible and better structured.

wesmannmsu

US
302 posts

#22. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 20

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011
Fri 13-Jul-12 05:43 PM

>However, I still have unanswered questions after reading
>Thom's book. I post those questions here.

I don't see the link to your questions. Yes, large portions where taken directly from previous books, only updated

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#23. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 22

Fri 13-Jul-12 06:40 PM

Here is one of the questions I still had after reading the book (and you guys responded?
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=12618&mesg_id=12618&page=

Here is a second one:
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=12489&mesg_id=12489&page=2

Larry Jordan

zumbado

North Potomac, US
93 posts

#24. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 21

zumbado Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004
Sat 14-Jul-12 11:39 AM

The "Shooting Video with Your D800" (page 750) is awesome. A must read.

Juan

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#25. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

Sun 15-Jul-12 04:42 PM

The other great advantage of online content: I got an email today informing me of availability of an eBook update.

You can download Complete Guide to Nikon D800/D800E at

https://www.e-junkie.com/d/?t=xxxxxx

Please note, the download link will expire after 120 hours from now or after 5 attempts, which ever event happens first.

I've updated the D800 Guide with hundreds of corrections, wording changes, and small additions (one big change is in the Autofocus Sensor section). I'm providing a free update to the new version (v1.03).

Not so easy with a printed version

--

Craig

btbschwarz

DE
74 posts

#26. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 25

btbschwarz Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 20th Jan 2009
Sun 15-Jul-12 05:45 PM

Yes, getting an updated version so easily is great.
But I was wondering why the previous version 102s had more than 22 MB and the updated version 103s has only 17 MB?

Bernhard

Unavailable

Ottawa, CA
132 posts

#27. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 26

Sun 15-Jul-12 05:59 PM

>But I was wondering why the previous version 102s had more
>than 22 MB and the updated version 103s has only 17 MB?

Could be as simple as recompressing images to remove noise and other artifacts. Some of the eBook illustrations are a bit fuzzy.

--

Craig

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#28. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 25

Sun 15-Jul-12 09:33 PM

I like the additional AF information Thom has added...specifically how the sensor points change with aperture. Unfortunately, he still does not mention nor discuss the use of software (i.e., FoCal) to do AF Fine Tuning. Maybe in the next edition.

Larry Jordan

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#29. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 28

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Sun 15-Jul-12 10:51 PM

I had an email discussion with Thom about FoCal a couple of days ago. He is aware of it and I sent him my thoughts, for what they are worth! He mentioned he understood that some people found a difference in results when using LensAlign and FoCal - My expeience indicates quite small differences.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

#30. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 29

Sun 15-Jul-12 11:00 PM

I mentioned FoCal to Thom when I was reviewing the book before publication. He did not respond to my suggestion that he cover it.

I used to write books, and I understand the issue of relevance, impact and timing. Until FoCal becomes mainstream, it my not be considered relevant. Until people understand how fast and accurately you can calibrate a series of lenses, its potential impact on D800 users may be underestimated. Finally, there are always new products coming out. By the time you get a book finished, it is already going out of date. Fortunately, with a eBook, Thom can add more content as he feels it is relevant. Authors of hard copy books will not be able to go with the flow.

Larry Jordan

chroaz

Cave Creek, US
742 posts

#31. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 30

chroaz Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009
Mon 16-Jul-12 12:12 AM

Yup, so true - and Thom has his update mechanism too as per his remarks re: the recent one to his D800 book .. " as I gather new information..." he said, or something to that effect.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#32. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 31

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2012
Mon 16-Jul-12 12:25 AM | edited Mon 16-Jul-12 03:52 PM by GaryPk

I too like Thom but I dislike all eBooks. I like to relax and read AWAY from any form of screen. What book to you recommend in hard copy form for the D800e ? Thank you...

Never have I spent so much time researching and getting educated on a product that I only have "On Order"..

www.GaryPackPHOTOGRAPHY.com

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1763 posts

#33. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 32

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Mon 16-Jul-12 03:21 AM

I agree with Gary -- I bought both the ebook and hardcover version of Thom's D700 guide. I've been through every remotely useful to me page of the printed version, and consulted sections of it many times. I've only had the ebook open once or twice in 2 years. Maybe I'm just old, but I find ebooks just are not as useful or handy...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

cbrandin

US
41 posts

#34. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 26

cbrandin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2011
Mon 16-Jul-12 04:03 PM

That's because in the last version of the book some pages (including text) were rendered as images. The latest version appears to correctly render all text as text, and not images. That results in a smaller file and actually better quality.

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#35. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Mon 16-Jul-12 04:05 PM

For those still leaning toward hardcopy books:
I recently bought Thom Hogan's D800 Guide. I like ebooks more than hardcopy for several reasons, but another just came in my inbox.
Hogan's email gives me a link to an updated version, which (his words):

"I've updated the D800 Guide with hundreds of corrections, wording changes, and small additions (one big change is in the Autofocus Sensor section). I'm providing a free update to the new version (v1.03)."

I bet you won't get an updated hardcopy from anyone...

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#36. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 35

Mon 16-Jul-12 04:22 PM | edited Mon 16-Jul-12 08:11 PM by GaryPk

Yes, if that was my concern I would get an eBook ... but you missed my point. I spend enough time looking at a screen for every gadget I own.

I want book I can read under the shade of a pine tree here in Colorado . . . that I can read cover to cover and just relax and absorb. Fine if you like eBooks .. I am just looking for a good paperback recommendation to get as familiar as possible with a camera that I don't yet have in my hand. I will take knowledge from the book and do my own updates based on my style and experience ....

Just ordered: David Busch's Nikon D800/D800E Guide to Digital SLR Photography

ShaoLynx

Tienen, BE
29 posts

#37. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 36

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010
Mon 16-Jul-12 06:28 PM

To each his own...
I just received an update to Thom's ebook. No paperback can do that.
And that GoodReader app for my iPad is really good, too.
This is my preferred way, and a lot less trees got used in the process (I think).
To each his own...

Covey22

US
11756 posts

#38. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 16

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter Member
Mon 16-Jul-12 06:45 PM

>I also bought the book (PDF) and it is outstanding.
>BTW: Is Thom part of Nikonians?
>-------------
>Please visit my galleries:
>Reza Gorji Photography

Thom has an account here. Unfortunately, he's only posted enough times to defend any potential infringements upon his Guides. He was interviewed on the Image Doctors podcast Episode 73a. Worth checking out.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#39. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 37

Mon 16-Jul-12 08:12 PM

LOL . . .

gkaiseril

Chicago, US
6739 posts

#40. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 35

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Mon 16-Jul-12 08:24 PM

Not true, I learned how to update and record the update to regulations and technical manuals in the service 40 years ago and applied that same technique to IBM technical manuals.

When I buy books from O'Reilly Media whether printed or eBook I can get the updates for both by registering the books with the publisher. Now the trick is to apply the updates to the ePub format.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

skibud1

US
20 posts

#41. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 0

skibud1 Registered since 01st Apr 2012
Tue 17-Jul-12 12:28 AM

I'm quite happy with version 1.02, and just yesterday, 1.03 showed up. Very Nice!

I'm quite happy with the details in the guide, and appreciate not only the detailed descriptions, but as well the recommendations.

GaryPk

Bailey, US
543 posts

#42. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 41

Tue 17-Jul-12 12:33 AM

OK, . . . I would be happy with a printed book and digital newsletter updates via subscription ))

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

#43. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 42

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 17-Jul-12 03:37 AM

Some of Thom's other books he granted permission for printing. If you asked his permission he might provide permission to do so. Then you hit a local print shop and have your printed edition, bound the way you want!

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

SRoss43

US
51 posts

#44. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 43

SRoss43 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Thu 26-Jul-12 02:34 AM

800+ pages bound?

I am going to get his book, but if it weighs down my ipad anymore I will be pretty upset. I am already upset at the added weight of the D800 menu items.

RavenDog

Jeannette, US
154 posts

#45. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 44

RavenDog Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2009
Sat 11-Aug-12 10:14 PM

I too prefer the written hardcopy but, unfortunately, today the print is so small in many of the books that it's a bear to read, exhausting and frustrating. The thing I like most about E-books is that you can enlarge the print!

Thom's book was quite enlightening on many fronts - at least it was to me...

kombipete

Gold Coast, AU
89 posts

#46. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 44

kombipete Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010
Sun 12-Aug-12 12:55 AM

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't the ebook's 800pp be brought down to 400pp printed double-sided?
cheers
peter

akmartinez1

San Francisco, US
629 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#47. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 20

akmartinez1 Registered since 12th Jan 2005
Thu 20-Jun-13 07:24 PM

I'm not sure if I'm drowning in the clutter of other books he has listed but I can't find a Book or eBook for a D4 anywhere in the page that he lists is writings for Nikon.

Can you assist and direct me with a link if possible? I'll keep looking...

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

#48. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 47

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Thu 20-Jun-13 07:52 PM

>I'm not sure if I'm drowning in the clutter of other books he
>has listed but I can't find a Book or eBook for a D4 anywhere
>in the page that he lists is writings for Nikon.

You can't find a D4 book by Hogan because he hasn't written one yet.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

akmartinez1

San Francisco, US
629 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#49. "RE: Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D800 and D800E" | In response to Reply # 48

akmartinez1 Registered since 12th Jan 2005
Thu 20-Jun-13 09:01 PM

Thanks,

In the reply I posted but did not quote, the person said "he took a lot of the content of the D800 book from his D700, D3 and D4 books."

So the mention of a D4 book had me looking. I'm hoping he's working on it. I do like his books...

G