Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mdonovan Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 21-May-12 05:14 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 05:14 PM by mdonovan

Just got off the phone with Best Buy ... they are taking orders on the D800e, but they said Nikon has halted all shipments of the D800 for the foreseeable future.

Is this pure BS ??

thanks

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

smb_ohio

Canton, US
1290 posts

#1. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006
Mon 21-May-12 03:37 PM

A friend of my who had a D800 on order at B&H was essentially told the same thing a couple of weeks ago. If true, evidently Nikon is stopping all shipments until all the reported quality issues have been fixed.

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#2. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 1

Mon 21-May-12 03:46 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 04:41 PM by mdonovan

great ... i ordered Feb 14th from B&H ... looks like it might be August before I get my camera. =/ Although I would love it if the camera had no issues.

outdoors4me

US
246 posts

#3. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 2

outdoors4me Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Nov 2009
Mon 21-May-12 04:27 PM

Gonna pretend I didn't read this....

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#4. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006
Mon 21-May-12 04:40 PM

Does this mean that people who already have a D800 should be pleased or pissed?

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#5. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 4

Mon 21-May-12 04:42 PM

honestly ... do not know the answer to that question.

smb_ohio

Canton, US
1290 posts

#6. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 5

Mon 21-May-12 05:09 PM

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get reliable information from Nikon and/or dealers on what is going on and how fast they can work through the backlog.

Steve

gorji

Jamesville, US
311 posts

#7. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

gorji Registered since 07th Jan 2007
Mon 21-May-12 05:51 PM

Nikon usually announces these issues; let's wait until some we get some better news from other sources. But it does not make sense to stop 800 and make the 800E.

-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

DiamondPhotography

UK
233 posts

#8. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 7

DiamondPhotography Registered since 29th Dec 2010
Mon 21-May-12 06:01 PM

I am sick of waiting ... but i'll be a lot sicker if my camera arrives and is faulty in any way...

North East Wedding Photographer

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#9. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 8

Mon 21-May-12 06:17 PM

Hahaha ... I hear you and I agree ... I cant help but feeling an impending cloud of doom approaching ... I hope I am wrong.

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

#10. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Mon 21-May-12 06:33 PM

If true, this would be good news. Then the next camera I buy after they resume shipments might perhaps work and I won't need to return it.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

ibpbob

Anaheim Hils, US
162 posts

#11. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 10

ibpbob Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Apr 2006
Mon 21-May-12 07:38 PM

I too, was one of those that ordered from B&H on 2/7 and still haven't received my D800. On a whim, I walked into my local Best Buy last Friday night (5/18) and with the help of the Customer Service Department they successfully located one for me and it's to be delivered this Wed. 5/23. My only fear now is that I don't end up with a body with technical issures. This has really been a long ordeal that I'm not looking forward to going through again.....bob

tomlawone

Hayden Lake, US
393 posts

#12. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 11

tomlawone Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2011
Mon 21-May-12 07:45 PM

My D800 from AAFES arrives 5/23. It shows as on the UPS truck somewhere in the Heartland. I am pretty happy I did not jump too soon and sell my D700. I will stick with the D800 until Nikon can make it right, but the D700 may be around for a while.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#13. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 12

Gator Bob Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jul 2006
Mon 21-May-12 09:32 PM

If this 800/800E production shutdown is true, Nikon PR non-management looks stupid. Yet again.

Gator Bob in Gainesville FL
D700 & SB800 * D800 on order
Nikkors: *14-24 * 28-300 * PC-E 85mm *50mm 1.8
Tamron 90mm Macro

LMMiller9

Potomac, US
1168 posts

#14. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 4

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005
Mon 21-May-12 10:14 PM

I am not either pleased or pissed because I haven't found any quality problems with my D800. I am not pleased that others must wait. And, I certainly have no reason to be pissed.

I just need to find the time to get to some good locations.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D810
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Mrrite008

US
3 posts

#15. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

Mrrite008 Registered since 21st May 2012
Mon 21-May-12 10:17 PM

Which Best Buy is taking orders for the D800E? Bestbuy.com states "coming soon". Doesn't allow to me to place an order though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

19US

Robbinsville, US
200 posts

#16. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 15

19US Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008
Mon 21-May-12 10:43 PM

I'd be curious. I contacted three local Bestbuys and all gave me he same answer...they can't even order it....thought that was odd.

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#17. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 15

Mon 21-May-12 10:57 PM

best buy on broadway in Soho, NY

Markl8

US
7 posts

#18. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 15

Markl8 Registered since 14th Jun 2011
Mon 21-May-12 11:09 PM

There was a short window at BB (about an hour or two long) last week where you could order the 800E. I have a delivery date of 6-6-12 Im in SoCal so we shall see.

akers

Roseville, US
391 posts

#19. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 12

akers Registered since 10th Aug 2004
Mon 21-May-12 11:15 PM

Hey Tom, glad you are getting close to D800 heaven. While mine has the "left focus point" issue I still use it and am loving it. I even dug out my 80-400 and have been very surprised in the image quality. That does not mean that it is fantastic but the D800 has allowed me to get the best shots yet out of an old, slow, compromise of a lens.

Chuck

D800, D3s, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VRI and VRIIx2, 80-400 VR, Sigma 150-500.

mbecke2266

US
202 posts

#20. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

mbecke2266 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2011
Mon 21-May-12 11:24 PM

If the camera is defective, don't you want Nikon to hold up manufacture and shipment until the issues are resolved? I personally may not ever purchase the D800 due to cost, but I certainly would not consider purchasing it if it were defective. I actually applaud Nikon for doing the right thing here. To those of you who still want defective cameras, I cannot similarly applaud your apparent low levels of intellectual prowess or common sense.

Markl8

US
7 posts

#21. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 20

Markl8 Registered since 14th Jun 2011
Mon 21-May-12 11:37 PM

>If the camera is defective, don't you want Nikon to hold up
>manufacture and shipment until the issues are resolved? I
>personally may not ever purchase the D800 due to cost, but I
>certainly would not consider purchasing it if it were
>defective. I actually applaud Nikon for doing the right
>thing here. To those of you who still want defective
>cameras, I cannot similarly applaud your apparent low levels
>of intellectual prowess or common sense.

I agree with you but so far all we have here are rumours and no bonafide facts. There are also many with properly funtioning cameras in their hands. I feel your a bit off base with the lack of common sense/intelligence comment when you have nothing but the same rumours the rest of us have to base your statement on. Time will tell.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#22. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 18

Mon 21-May-12 11:51 PM | edited Mon 21-May-12 11:52 PM by Gator Bob

>There was a short window at BB (about an hour or two long)
>last week where you could order the 800E. I have a delivery
>date of 6-6-12 Im in SoCal so we shall see.

In that same two hour window, I, too, successfully placed an order for June 6 delivery of a D800E at my local Best Buy. However, I later decided to cancel my Best Buy order and wait for a later production camera. (I am #3 in line for a D800E at a brick and mortar camera shop.) I'm glad I listened to my gut feelings.

Tamron 90mm Macro

gregogarrison

US
6 posts

#23. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 21

gregogarrison Registered since 02nd Jan 2012
Tue 22-May-12 12:34 AM

Ordered my D800 May 9th from Hunts Photo in Hadley MA and recieved it today. Some quick shots...its late. Will put it through its paces later on in the week and see if the camera has any issues.

Oh...and hello this is my first post. Long time Nikon user. Since the first F100. Had a D200 since it came out and then a D3s now the D800.

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#24. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 21

Tue 22-May-12 12:42 AM

>I agree with you but so far all we have here are rumours and
>no bonafide facts. There are also many with properly
>funtioning cameras in their hands.

We have more than rumors. We have ample hands-on reports from actual users of flaws in their D800s, D800Es and D4s.

Tamron 90mm Macro

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#25. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 24

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Tue 22-May-12 01:30 AM

There is one confirmed firmware bug when certain options are selected, the lockup problem, that affects few people. Nikon addressed that publicly. The AF points on the left far side have been experienced by a number of people but Nikon service centers have been able to resolve that with re-calibration, not a camera defect.
What flaws are you talking about?

IF Nikon halts production is a big if, but it is common to halt distribution temporarily when a problem arrises such as what happened a few weeks ago when distribution was halted to check which batteries were packed and if the E or F series were present, to swap the batteries.
The distribution might be halted to reroute existing stock which shows mis-calibration of the far left focus points to service for re-cal before adding those cameras to inventory. That happens often with all sorts of products.
But I am curious why non-owners are so convinced there are defects in the design or construction of the camera when so many are getting world beating performance from theirs. Mine would not be getting the best shots with less effort than ever if there was a general defect in design or manufacture. If it did have a focus issue on the far left side, I would simply have it adjusted.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Gator Bob

SANTA FE, US
582 posts

#26. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 25

Tue 22-May-12 01:54 AM | edited Tue 22-May-12 01:55 AM by Gator Bob

A few issues that immediately come to mind: lcd coloration; focus; lockups. I will think of a few more.

I never spent one minute "checking out" or vetting ANY of my many Nikon film cameras beginning with the bombproof heavy FM (?) the N90, the F4, or later Nikon's initial digital, the $1000 Coolpix with add-on-front wa & tele lenses and then the D1 digital or my D200, D300 or D700.

Tamron 90mm Macro

MEMcD

US
31282 posts

#27. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 23

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007
Tue 22-May-12 01:56 AM

Hi Gregory,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D800.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bbell

US
3 posts

#28. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

bbell Registered since 13th Aug 2003
Tue 22-May-12 02:06 AM

>Just got off the phone with Best Buy ... they are taking
>orders on the D800e, but they said Nikon has halted all
>shipments of the D800 for the foreseeable future.
>
>Is this pure BS ??
>.

BS, unless they halted them long after you posted this. Mine shipped from B&H today (Monday).

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#29. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 25

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Tue 22-May-12 04:22 AM

Thanks Stan,

The gripe and moan contingent relishes non issues, spinning theorem and discord when basic manufacturing protocol addresses an actual user base with remedial support.

Sheesh!

Rob

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

#30. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 26

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Tue 22-May-12 04:41 AM | edited Tue 22-May-12 04:42 AM by Robman3

Day one D3S, in Death Valley sans family free to shoot, wind blowing headed for the Mesquite Flat dune field at sunset. Great sand movement stills, should have had my head examined though, into a dune field while a wind event was in progress but I digress.

Set up the night before in the hotel, and holy ****, couldn't get the CF cards to format...GASP...!!!

Did a reset to factory defaults, problem solved.

Point is, mechanical apparatus are less prone to issues.

Electronic ones however may have quirks and Nikon has always stood behind their products in either genre.

So sure, it's a frustration when things don't line up according to Hoyle, but as some here have acted in prudent haste, follow on and return the beast, someone will buy it from demo stock if it indeed was problematic, warranty will address the cure.

Defective, means useless, and so far none of the issues conflated in the various opine seem to indicate a bait and switch or benign neglect by Nikon.

The gist is that the device is highly technical and may require attention technically, which to put it plainly, is a very, very small percentage of the many thousands released so far across the planet.

If mine has issues, I'll drive it to the Nikon service and have it fine tuned, simple as that given the nuances pointed out so far by the users and non users, here and elsewhere in forum land.

My $.02 cents.

RM

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#31. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 28

Tue 22-May-12 08:44 AM

That is great news !! ... Unless B&H was shipping cameras they had received on Friday adternoon, due to their hours which observe the Sabath.

mawyatt1

US
105 posts

#32. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 28

mawyatt1 Registered since 11th Feb 2012
Tue 22-May-12 10:45 AM

>>Just got off the phone with Best Buy ... they are taking
>>orders on the D800e, but they said Nikon has halted all
>>shipments of the D800 for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>Is this pure BS ??
>>.

>BS, unless they halted them long after you posted this. Mine
>shipped from B&H today (Monday).

Great news...congrats!! When did you place your order with B&H? I am still in the "Q" waiting!

Thanks,

leithsw

US
23 posts

#33. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

leithsw Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 22-May-12 11:47 AM

I ordered my D800 from AAFES (Military Exchange) on 5 May and is is on the truck out for delivery today. Sounds like some are still being shipped. AAFES were out for a while with an original forecast of mid-June. Hope it keeps shipping with no problems.

Mrrite008

US
3 posts

#34. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

Mrrite008 Registered since 21st May 2012
Tue 22-May-12 12:32 PM

I called the Best Buy in Soho, New York as soon as they opened this morning. The D800E "was no longer available to order" i was told. Oh well, it was worth a try. Thanks again

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#35. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 34

Tue 22-May-12 02:06 PM

I smell salesperson confusion.

trialcritic

Palo Alto, US
43 posts

#36. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

trialcritic Registered since 17th Mar 2012
Tue 22-May-12 03:17 PM

Sorry if that is true. I got my D800 from Best Buy and it works fine.

ibpbob

Anaheim Hils, US
162 posts

#37. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 36

ibpbob Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Apr 2006
Tue 22-May-12 03:54 PM

Best Buy has been very helpful. I'm sure some of the previous comments are correct that they have a small window with which they can place orders. On my first visit I was told that they were unable to order at the present time but they mentioned in Customer Service to check back every day. On my first call back they told me that they could order it and it will arrive in five days. That's tomorrow and I'm so anxiously awaiting its arrival as I've been backordered from B&H since 2/7...bob

leithsw

US
23 posts

#38. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

leithsw Registered since 09th May 2012
Tue 22-May-12 05:28 PM

Just received mine today from a 5 May order date. It was shipped from Nikon Inc, out of Louisville on 16 May. Sounds like they were shipping on Friday, unless it changed since then.

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#39. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 20

Tue 22-May-12 07:12 PM

To those of you who still want defective
>cameras, I cannot similarly applaud your apparent low levels
>of intellectual prowess or common sense.

Calling your fellow Nikonians stupid for purchasing a camera with a largely insignificant issue and that is reparable under warranty is poor form. I've captured photos of various events with my D800 that wouldn't have been possible had I sat on the sidelines waiting for later production models. Frankly, my D800 could do away with most of the additional autofocus points completely and it wouldn't impact 95% of my shooting. I don't think I'm an idiot for keeping a great camera with a tiny issue that can be fixed (or camera replaced) for free any time within the first year of ownership using the manufacturer warranty.

-Alex Rosen

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM

#40. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 35

MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Tue 22-May-12 10:45 PM

>I smell salesperson confusion.

^This^

BB sales person notices status went from orderable to not orderable, and makes the intuitive leap that Nikon must have discontinued shipment. Birth of a rumor.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#41. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 37

Tue 22-May-12 11:18 PM

The key to Best Buy is getting the right sales person. I called three in total. The first two stores just said "you can't order one...". Then I called the third BB store and got a guy who knew the nuances of the D800 shipments. He told me to call back on Monday (I called on Friday) as BB was getting a 'purchase order' from Nikon. I called on Monday and low-and-behold there was one D800 in a distribution warehouse. It's on my desk by me now.

Moral of the story: Try other BB stores and sales people until you get someone who thinks outside the box of the 'out of stock' indicator on their computer.

-Alex Rosen

Daryl Crow

US
4 posts

#42. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 38

Daryl Crow Registered since 19th Apr 2012
Wed 23-May-12 02:30 AM

Well Amazon sent me an email today that my order for the D800 is expected to be delivered between May 25-29. I pre-ordered on March 12th. Previously, they didn't have an estimated delivery date for me. I'll have to check the post for Amazon deliveries since the last time I checked a number of those who ordered on Feb 7th had yet to receive a shipping date. I haven't checked since last week, so maybe there has been some shipments.

mgd7

New York, US
104 posts

#43. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

mgd7 Registered since 06th Mar 2012
Wed 23-May-12 09:36 AM

I have to say, I'm surprised by the hysteria in this thread. This is the kind of thing I expect to see this on dpreview, not here!

As for the OP, it's not clear if you spoke to someone relatively knowledgeable, like the head of the camera department in one of the stores, or just a random rep on the 800#. Either way, the comments could have been specific about Nikon shipments to Best Buy and not a general comment on Nikon deliveries / production (some of the leaps in this thread...just, wow).

Good luck in your search.

Mike

klrbee25

Naples, US
1386 posts

#44. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 43

Wed 23-May-12 10:54 AM

I definitely wouldn't take any BB employee's word for this. Wait for a reputable source before making anything out of those comments. And if people continue to get cameras shipped to them, production clearly hasn't stopped.

-Alex Rosen

Garrett Hayes

Lucan, Ireland, IE
287 posts

#45. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

Garrett Hayes Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2004
Wed 23-May-12 01:38 PM

Don't want to upset all those who are waiting but my D800 is just fine. I checked for the focus point issue and could find no problem. Checked the battery and it's OK also. Got a MD12 with another battery, both OK. Have a Nikon 1, with the same battery and it's OK.

Should I be worried?? No, the D800 is just fine.It does what it says on the tin and I for one am really happy.

No, if my hand shake would reduce and if I could hold that camera steady........

GH

TheKO

US
1 posts

#46. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 45

TheKO Registered since 06th May 2012
Wed 23-May-12 03:14 PM

FWIW - I ordered a D-800 yesteray from Amazon. I was going to get a D-800E but Amazon would not let me order one as they said the D-800E will no longer be available from supplier. So - D-800 for me...

TheKO

smb_ohio

Canton, US
1290 posts

#47. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 46

Wed 23-May-12 03:40 PM

What does that mean? Amazon's direct supplier if it is other than Nikon; or Nikon is no longer going to produce the e model???

Steve

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#48. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 26

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Wed 23-May-12 05:39 PM

How many discolored screens have you seen? It seems that the cast that a few people, very few reported went away in a couple days of use. The lockup when two specific features are enabled at the same time, that occurs obsessionally has been acknowledged and a firmware update is in the works.
Comparing the technology and precision of a FM to a D800 is like comparing a model T to the space shuttle, there is more lines of code and far more processing power however in the D800 so even that extreme example does not apply

I got one because I am patient with teething pains and do not care as long as the design and engineering is together, knowing that if there is an adjustment needed, it will be taken care of. But getting in line for a new level of technology and expecting it to be 100% sorted out is not realistic. I dwell on the marvelous things it can do and would not sweat the small rough edges if one pops up. A D800 with a focus misalignment is still a 100% better at image taking then anything else you can name. The things that work super, perfect greatly overshadow needing to be aware of far left focus points for a month or so.
Why try to get one if you are so impatient with groundbreaking capabilities that usually take a little tweaking before it is ready for the masses?
So why not wait until you are sure you are not going to be frustrated by real or imagined problems? Your current camera is perfectly usable, as usable as it was several years ago.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

#49. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 41

Wed 23-May-12 06:04 PM

Alex, that is the key, not only with BB but anywhere in business. I dropped by a local Best Buy to where my California home is 1.5 weeks ago after visiting the two pro oriented local stores in the same market. The two stores were pretty sure I could not find one before I had to leave to head to Scotland on the 15th. The sales girl at BB in the camera department had never heard of a D800 but said it one could be found she would find it. She started searching through the inventory of every stores in the chain, and after hundreds of lookups over an hour she found 3. The first store she called she upset the manager of the department because her query caused him to realize it was missing. It had been checked in as received and not sold yet was missing.
She tried the other two and one agreed to do a store transfer which my local store had to pay for. All seemed OK until the store manager called to arrange for the credit transfer and the manager of the distant store found out about it and killed the order, saying they could sell it in a hour so would not transfer it anywhere. The third one said they had someone come in 10 minutes before while the phone call was on hold. So I left content that I would get one in September, my next visit to California. Afterall, due to not expecting to find one, I used some of my funds to buy a 24-70 2.8 in the meantime.
3 days later the sales girl called me quite excited saying she found one and has it on hold but I would need to come in right away to pay or it or sign something. 10 minutes later I counted out the correct number of $100 bills. They promised it would arrive on Sunday morning, 4 days. Saturday she called again saying it came in but was scheduled to be entered into their system until the next morning. She called again a few minutes later and said she talked the store manager into playing inventory clerk and entered into the inventory system so I could have it a day early.....on her DAY OFF. She came in on her day off to make sure there were no problems with me getting the camera.
My flight out was Monday morning at 6am. She knew that and pulled all the stops to have me a happy customer. I was even if I could not get the camera, but it is a good example of having the luck to run into an enthusiastic and clever sales person who really wanted to help.
Checkout Best Buy at Birdcage in Citrus Heights in California, ask for Denisa.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

mdonovan

Mahwah, US
321 posts

#50. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 0

Wed 23-May-12 06:24 PM

Amazingly ... due to your post I decided to get on the list at another local shop. To this point I was just on B&H and Bergen County Camera. Anyway ... to make a long story short ... I called another camera shop local to where I live ... and BINGO ... D800 tomorrow !!!!

SRoss43

US
51 posts

#51. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 50

SRoss43 Registered since 10th Apr 2012
Thu 24-May-12 01:42 AM

I have had the D800 for about a month. No problems. I had no calibration required for my lenses and no left focus problem.

smb_ohio

Canton, US
1290 posts

#52. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 50

Thu 24-May-12 07:12 AM

Super! I may similarly have a D800e in my hands within a week or two.

Steve

sygnus21

US
13 posts

#53. "RE: Best Buy Comments - Nikon Halts Shipment of D800 ????" | In response to Reply # 12

sygnus21 Registered since 07th May 2012
Sat 26-May-12 06:13 AM

>My D800 from AAFES arrives 5/23. It shows as on the UPS
>truck somewhere in the Heartland. I am pretty happy I did not
>jump too soon and sell my D700. I will stick with the D800
>until Nikon can make it right, but the D700 may be around for
>a while.

Lucky you got it from AAFES when you did because they no longer list it on the on-line store. When I asked about it I was told the manufacturer pulled the item.

As a side note, with all the waiting and shortages, I'm starting to wonder if I couldn't save the additional $700-900 and just go with a D700. I don't own a digital camera at the moment so a D700 wouldn't be a bad choice for about a year, by that time hopefully Nikon would have sorted out their shortage issue. Really want a D800 though.

G