Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
bipock

Greenville, US
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bipock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2013
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:17 AM

I've had the opportunity to get out and shoot with my new D800 over the last couple days. Also had time to review the manual as there are some differences between Nikon's system and the Canon system I've shot over the last 7 years.

The manual shows that the camera is campable of 3 NEF FX sizes: L (7360*4912), M (5520*3680) and S (3680*2456). While the times would likely be few and far between, I like knowing I have the option to capture a smaller size NEF file. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change the size from L to M.

What am I missing or am I interpreting something wrong?

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4127 posts

#1. "RE: NEF RAW Sizes?" | In response to Reply # 0

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Mon 25-Feb-13 01:37 AM

D800 NEF FX images only come in one size, 7360x4912. You can select the 3 sizes you show only for JPG images.

The dimensions may vary, but this single size NEF and 3 sizes of JPG is common to all Nikon DSLR cameras. The only way to change the NEF dimensions is to select a crop option such as DX on a FX body.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Kidkett

Campo, US
442 posts

#2. "RE: NEF RAW Sizes?" | In response to Reply # 0

Kidkett Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:16 AM

Hi Brad,

To add to what Gary said for the NEF file you can use compressed or uncompressed in 12 or 14 bit. If you are shooting and need to save more room on your card step down to 12 bit compressed and it will save you some room on your card. An uncompressed 14bit RAW NEF files is about 74MB and a 12bit is 57MB. A compressed 14bit RAW NEF is around 35MB and a 12 bit is around 29MB. And Lossless compressed is somewhere in the middle. This is where you can save yourself some space when you need it. I think the chart is on page 436 in the manual.

Happy Shooting,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
172 posts

#3. "RE: NEF RAW Sizes?" | In response to Reply # 0

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Tue 26-Feb-13 01:04 AM | edited Tue 26-Feb-13 01:10 AM by Skyco

Hi Brad,

I use three FX image sizes on my D800: 1. FX (36x24) -2. FX 1.2 (30x20 = 9x16 HD TV) and 3. FX 5:4 (30x24mm = 8x10 magazine cover etc.) - as well as DX (1.5x 16x24) on my full frame lenses when I don't want a 40 something MB file to crop on the computer when I can do that in camera.

If this is what your asking about (page 79 of the user manual) go to - Image Area - in your shooting menu in your D800. I have my FN button assigned to image area as I use and change them a lot.

I strongly recommend one of the books on the Nikon D800. The manual is great for telling you what features the D800 has but it don't give a clue as to what there for or how best to use them. I have Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D800" and I would be lost without it! Darrell is a Nikonian and takes time to explain what the settings mean And how to use them.

I hope this helps.

Well Wishes,
Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

G