Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800(E) grip issue..... Need input....

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Wed 09-Jan-13 04:05 AM

I have my D800E and have a Meike battery grip. Well I just noticed in the last day or so that the green light would come on on the back of the camera randomly even though the camera has been turned off already for a few minutes or longer..... Now if I use the shutter lock, I think it resolves the issue, not sure as I haven't left it locked much. Also die to this concern, I've noticed the battery in the grip (Nikon battery) was fully charged about two days ago and now is at 37% with only 211 pics taken on it.... I'm thinking the grip's electronics are failing and I'm now thinking about just biting the bullet and buying the Nikon MB-D12 Grip.

Anyways, my question is now that some of you have had grips for awhile (Nikon and any other brand), have any of you had issues like this??? I seen the post awhile back where the internal gears stripped out on one of these Meike grips, but I haven't had any issues there... yet. Anyways does the Nikon version's buttons feel the same as the ones on the D800(E) body??? Thx for any input guys/gals...

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

#1. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 0

aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Wed 09-Jan-13 03:26 AM

Return it and get a Nikon grip. Its a $3300.00 camera not a $600 one. I tries a aftermarket and luckily replaced it with OEM because my RRS L Plate would not fit. before I had electronics issues.

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#2. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 1

Wed 09-Jan-13 03:49 AM

Well I can't return it as I ordered when they first came out so mine came from China or somewhere like that.... I can't remember. However I've gotten too used to having the grip on my camera so just ordered the Nikon Grip from Amazon.... Like you said, it's a $3,300 camera not a $600 one.... might as well get the good stuff.... Thx

Chris

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#3. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 2

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Wed 09-Jan-13 05:39 AM

Check the other thread on grips. I have a similar issue with a no name brand as well. I've now taken it off the camera and will be returning it.

I think it is safe to assume that the failure rate for these cheap units will be fairly high. Having said that, I am not dismissing third party grips completely. If there is a good quality one out there then I will look at it.

I don't subscribe to "buy Nikon or nothing", as it is clear that they aren't perfect either, and I find $350+ for a grip just a little hard to digest.

Cheers
Rob

It's all about the light

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

#4. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 3

Wed 09-Jan-13 06:34 AM | edited Wed 09-Jan-13 06:35 AM by icslowmo

I would agree but I kind of said whatever and just ordered the Nikon one even though I do agree it is over priced... The Meike buttons also don't feel like they'll last now that I've used it for a bit so that's another reason just to get the Nikon.... I'll see, if it's not that much of an improvement, I can always send the Nikon one back and get the Phottix one....

Here is the other one that was just released that looked good but for $200, that's a bit much to me for an "aftermarket" grip:

http://www.phottixstore.com/store/battery-pack/phottix-battery-grip-bg-d800m-premium-series-for-nikon-d800-636.html

Chris

BullockBob666

Perth, AU
111 posts

#5. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 4

BullockBob666 Registered since 12th Dec 2012
Wed 09-Jan-13 06:47 AM

Yep, that is the one that I'm trying to find more info on. Seems as though most distributors are not aware of it, perhaps because its new. I've emailed Phottix direct for more info. I would pay $200 if what they claim about alloy build is true.

It's all about the light

gmth

Lewisville, US
761 posts

#6. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 0

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012
Wed 09-Jan-13 02:56 PM

Chris,

There is another thread (looking for a compatible grip) that currently is only two down from this one. It has several comments and recommendations. As I said in that one:

"I recently purchased the Pixel grip ($99) based on Stan's comments. I have to say that it is near perfect - fits just a well as Nikon grips that I've had on previous cameras. Looks great and the feel is just what I needed for portrait and vertical shooting. Thanks Stan..."

Several weeks later - I'm still very happy with it...

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

sazerac_the_dog

US
76 posts

#7. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 4

sazerac_the_dog Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009
Mon 14-Jan-13 11:01 PM

Besides what has been mentioned, my concern is whether the RRS L plate will work with the new Photixx Magnesium grip. I haven't been able to get answer from Photixx as to whether their pack is same size/openings as original Nikon. It won't work if I have to unscrew everytime I need to change batteries.

Has anyone used this brand with RRS L plate?

thanks

PhotoemWriter

West Lafayette, US
35 posts

#8. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 0

PhotoemWriter Registered since 06th Mar 2010
Wed 16-Jan-13 10:21 PM

I have the Pixel grip on my D800. On my D7K I have the Nikon grip. This may sound like blasphemy, but I have to say that Pixel grip actually feels a little better in-hand than the Nikon grip--the rubber on the Pixel feels a little heavier. So far I have been pleased with the Pixel grip and like its sturdiness. However, I do have one big complaint, and that is that neither the RRS or Kirk L-Plates on this grip allow you to open the battery door when using this grip. The Pixel is sized just enough differently from the Nikon to make that impossible.

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#9. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 8

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Wed 16-Jan-13 11:19 PM

Can you comment on the fit of the L-plate using Pixel grip? Any pics?

Neilwww1

Sydney, AU
229 posts

#10. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 0

Neilwww1 Registered since 12th Mar 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 08:57 AM

I have the Meike one and been using it for approx 6 months nil issues so far however I'd like to attach a shoulder strap such as an RS but uncertain if it will cope or not. Anyone using something similar? Also anyone know if these aftermarket grips we can use the EN-EL18 battery with the appropriate holder?

Also found this grip which is magnesium alloy for $85.99 USD http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360529863438?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5490wt_1383

Cheers
Neil

Richcower

US
323 posts

#11. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 9

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Thu 28-Feb-13 03:09 PM

>Can you comment on the fit of the L-plate using Pixel grip?
>Any pics?

When I was looking at the after market grips, I rang RRS up (they supply my L brackets) and asked if they'd tried it with any of the after market grips. They hadn't, so I purchased the Nikon grip.

liamtoh1ps

US
312 posts

#12. "RE: D800(E) grip issue..... Need input...." | In response to Reply # 11

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 03:17 PM

Thanks.

I took a calculated risk and found that a particular 3rd party grip works perfectly with a L-bracket.

Here is the link to that other thread with more info for anyone who needs it.

G